VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 12:38:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting comments by Fulmer  (Read 8532 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:14:06 EDT »

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/oct/25/Mark-Wiedmer-Phillip-fulmer-still-loves-the-vols/

Until last week's 44-13 loss to Alabama, Dooley appeared to be making progress. But then the Tide rolled, the Gruden rumors went nuclear and everything seems to be pointing to a coaching change, perhaps before Saturday, since a UT win at nationally-ranked South Carolina with Dooley still in charge would open the door for him to finish 9-4 after a bowl, a record surely good enough to end talk of termination.

"What this program needs," Fulmer said, seeming to support Dooley, "is some continuity and stability."

Perhaps that's why Fulmer spoke so fondly of his 1994 team at the YMCA luncheon, recalling how those Vols started 1-3 for a second-year coach but finished 8-4, thoroughly whipping Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl.

"I called that team together after we lost at Mississippi State to go 1-3," he said. "I asked them who they were going to listen to. The media, which was saying they couldn't play a lick and we couldn't coach a lick? Their moms and girlfriends who were telling them it was everybody's fault but their own? Or were they going to listen to their coaches and turn this thing around?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:59:01 EDT »

These players, IMO, have been left out in the cold with all this "stuff" going around. They are preparing for a road game against their 5th ranked opponent out of 8 games. The 4 other ranked teams are 4 of the top 12 teams in the country having a combined 27-1 record, still having a chance to reach 9 wins with a bowl victory.

I hope the staff is playing this card because the players probably feel as if they are truly on their own as they head to Columbia.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:38 EDT »

I love Phil but you can't compare this team to the 1994 team....a Freshman Peyton Manning > a Junior Tyler Bray in terms of leadership any day of the week.  Our problem IS that we need stability but Dooley hasn't provided it and Bray has been too focused on fun than football.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:14:04 EDT »

I love Phil but you can't compare this team to the 1994 team....a Freshman Peyton Manning > a Junior Tyler Bray in terms of leadership any day of the week.  Our problem IS that we need stability but Dooley hasn't provided it and Bray has been too focused on fun than football.

Well, people can wise up and change, or so I have been told.

Bray hasn't had to face the pressure he has faced this year.  Bama was his worst game of the year.  He will either snap back from it, or not.  For his sake and the team's I hope he does.

If not, Worley might just take the field.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:05 EDT »

I agree with what you are saying. HC Fulmer was not in any fear of losing his job at that time. However, from my seat, in August I thought this 2012 team would go 7-5. And I think a number of people thought 7-5 or 8-4 was the most likely record ... and they just might hit or exceed that August projected win total.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:41:56 EDT »

Way different Coach and different team(loads more talent)

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:33 EDT »

I agree with what you are saying. HC Fulmer was not in any fear of losing his job at that time. However, from my seat, in August I thought this 2012 team would go 7-5. And I think a number of people thought 7-5 or 8-4 was the most likely record ... and they just might hit or exceed that August projected win total.

I have no faith or reason to believe this team will do better than 6-6.  I fully expect SC to to have a 2nd half runaway and I do not think we can beat Vandy and I question if we can beat KY or Mizzou.  I wish we could play Auburn.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:53 EDT »

Preposterous comparison by Fulmer. Fulmer had shown mucho promise as a coach going into 2004. Fulmer's teams competed. Dooley's teams don't. Even in the false hope of the Georgia loss, they played horribly.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:49:59 EDT »

I have no faith or reason to believe this team will do better than 6-6.  I fully expect SC to to have a 2nd half runaway and I do not think we can beat Vandy and I question if we can beat KY or Mizzou.  I wish we could play Auburn.

UK,besides Troy,is the only sure win left on Tennessee's schedule. UK is a hell of a lot worse than Auburn

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:53:14 EDT »

UK,besides Troy,is the only sure win left on Tennessee's schedule. UK is a hell of a lot worse than Auburn

They were a "sure win" last year too.
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:08 EDT »

Preposterous comparison by Fulmer. Fulmer had shown mucho promise as a coach going into 2004. Fulmer's teams competed. Dooley's teams don't. Even in the false hope of the Georgia loss, they played horribly.

Agree it is a completely silly comparison.  I think this can be read as "this program needs continuity and stability" leaving the "like the kind I used to provide" unsaid, but just barely.  Coach Fulmer is probably right, but this team needs a heart transplant, his team needed a gut check.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:09 EDT »

These players, IMO, have been left out in the cold with all this "stuff" going around. They are preparing for a road game against their 5th ranked opponent out of 8 games. The 4 other ranked teams are 4 of the top 12 teams in the country having a combined 27-1 record, still having a chance to reach 9 wins with a bowl victory.

I hope the staff is playing this card because the players probably feel as if they are truly on their own as they head to Columbia.

They are in reality on their own in every game. I don't know of a single fan that has called a play, made a block, tackled, caught a pass or ran a ball in any season.

This ain't about the fans this about the coaches and players and the players can't help where they are, they were asked to come. I have seen other teams do more with less.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:13:17 EDT »

I will root just as hard Saturday for a win as I always have.  I will be more than happy for the team to prove me wrong and for Tyler Bray to look like a Heisman trophy candidate.  I'm not sure how the players that go to Twitter and post displeasure with their coach are "being left out in the cold."
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:17:53 EDT »

I've been supportive of Dooley, but the thing that concerns me about his teams that I have seen so far is that his teams seem to regress, especially after a big loss. That could signify a coach who can't motivate his team. This UT team was a lot better in the opening game vs NC state than it is right now mentally, and it seems to me that they lost confidence after the FL game, much like last year. It's strange, but I think Dooley did his best job in his first year, in which he took a team to a bowl that didn't really have much talent at all, not to mention pretty much beat LSU and UNC.

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:57 EDT »

At this point I can't see how anybody can think that any game is a sure win.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 11:49:27 EDT »

Wasn't the comparison to his 1994 (1-3) team?  Perhaps you meant 1994, but Fulmer's history as head coach going into 1994 was certainly a lot different than 2004 (3-1 after four games).   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 01:28:30 EDT »

Wasn't the comparison to his 1994 (1-3) team?  Perhaps you meant 1994, but Fulmer's history as head coach going into 1994 was certainly a lot different than 2004 (3-1 after four games).   

He must have, because in 2004 Fulmer was far beyond "promise".  He had been there, done that, and started spiraling down.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 02:41:45 EDT »

I meant 1994, but he had already won 13 football games (out of 16) going into 1994 so he'd still shown a lot more promise to this point than Dooley. Dooley has only won 14 to this point.

It's not only preposterous because of Fulmer vs. Dooley, but because the program was in much better shape. That's why the 1994 team could set the stage, because the program was in great shape. That team had freshmen at QB and got up off the mat as the youth developed. This Tennessee team is more experienced than the 1994 team was.

Fulmer is just playing the "company man" here.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: