VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 12:57:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hesitate to even put this one here . . .  (Read 13125 times)
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:46 EDT »

I was hoping you'd weigh in from a University perspective.

Good points.
Don't encourage him.  The correct response would be "Vandy is a complete turd and should not be copied".  I love me some Clockwork Orange.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:56 EDT »

Don't encourage him.  The correct response would be "Vandy is a complete turd and should not be copied".  I love me some Clockwork Orange.

Idk why, but Clocky always calms me down.   
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:55 EDT »

Oh please Lord, not Tommy Tuberville! He's not the "Big Time" hire UT needs right now, please no retreads. Besides, the guy has a chance of being indicted for a fraudulent investment scheme he was involved in. Remember Jim Donnan? There's plenty of other guys I'd tap before Wingnut.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 09:44:00 EDT »

Our other moron.

Is that Jimminy Cricket, or Barney Fife?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:39 EDT »

I will throw out the following on academics (a massive bunny trail). Please send this to the political forum or delete it if it is out of place.

Do taxpayers get a greater return on their investment by getting more research funding? I realize there is greater academic prestige, but does that equate to students getting a better education? I say this as someone who worked in a center for research for four years. There were some super bright people there, but it helped students and taxpayers not one iota - and it was at least in a practical field, not 13th Century Lowland Germanic Studies or something.  

This is why I favor the Joe Johnson model, BUT I am very wary of academic inbreeding. That's a major problem at most universities.

That's a good question and it is not the same in all academic areas. I can tell you that in Business and the STEM fields it most definitely has an impact on all levels of education. The College of Engineering here gets almost 2/3 of its funding from external sources, nearly all of that being grants and contracts for research projects. The wonderful thing about that for undergraduates is that (1) it means better faculty connected with current research, giving them a chance to be near the cutting edge and taught by people respected in their field; and (2) for the lucky ones (and the more research, the more lucky ones) it provides them opportunities to be involved in the research itself. We have a number of faculty who involve undergraduates in their research and that is an unreal opportunity that they would not likely get if they went to a less research-focused school. We could add a (3) to that, which is that big research schools rise in the rankings and make the degrees more valuable for those who earn them.

Another wonderful thing about the College getting so much of its funding from research grants is that it can be steered through tough budgetary periods because it's not completely dependent upon its base budget from the Chancellor (which comes from the state).

One final thing is strong research programs attract top level grad students, many of whom go on to be very wealthy alumni. We have one new engineering building partially funded by Min Kao (Garmin) and another under construction partially funded by John Tickle (Strongwell Corp.). Those buildings will benefit everyone, including the undergraduates who will have new classroom and lab space. Obviously having these alumni offers the opportunity for reinvestment and re-enrichment of the college, which in turn means more good faculty and students down the road, and so on and so on.

I've emphasized Engineering because it's what I know, but the same is true for strong research programs in math and the sciences as well as business, education, social work, etc. Those programs being more self-sustaining and research-driven helps enable the university to keep other programs (humanities, social sciences, music, etc.) open when they risk being cut by universities more reliant on base budgets from the state and tuition.

I ramble, but you see my point. A university with a strong emphasis on research is a university with the ability to sustain and better itself.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 09:47:52 EDT »

Joe Johnson was in fact, a great guy.  Was an acquaintance of my parents.  All around class act, and I thought he handled the end of the Majors era very well. Still recall my father telling me that Joe told him that Majors had "relationship issues".  Couldn't get along with the players, staff OR AD, and that this was the primary reason for the change, though I am sure effing up the 1992 season had much to do with it as well.

But to the original post...these guys have been trolling for days.  More of the same.  Carry on.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:37 EDT »

Idk why, but Clocky always calms me down.   

Aw, shucks.   

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 10:39:01 EDT »

Well said Clock. My experience was about three students per semester benefitted (and benefit they did) from our research center, but the rest got nothing from it. In fact, classes were frequently taught by grad students (not saying whether my wife or I may have done that or not) because the profs were too busy researching to teach paying students.

I'm actually very pro research, just not always sure it benefits the many instead of the select few. Also, in my line of work very few people care how prestigious a school you attended so academic ratings points don't mean much. That skews my bias.

That having been said I will entertain any offers to start a Center for Football Research at UT. Our first project will entail a detailed looked at porous defense.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 11:26:44 EDT »

That having been said I will entertain any offers to start a Center for Football Research at UT. Our first project will entail a detailed looked at porous defense.

Let me know if you need a statistician in this Center. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 12:09:37 EDT »

How high will the calculators go? 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 12:11:45 EDT »

How high will the calculators go? 

Or the office of Recruiting

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 02:51:37 EDT »

Where can we get funding Clock? Hmm, perhaps we could get a grant from the VTTW Foundation. Please donate lots of money or expensive bodily organs we can easily sell.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: