VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 04:05:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Of course, the word around here is that UT might hire Cutcliffe or Fedora  (Read 11184 times)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 03:43:45 EDT »

In 1992, Fulmer stepped in when Majors had his heart issue and proceeded to win the first 4 games of the season.  Majors came back the Monday before the LSU game and UT won in Baton Rouge. Then came the “slide” which included bad losses to two really weak teams (an Arkansas team that lost to the Citadel in its opening game & South Carolina).

One nit to pick.  Fulmer is credited with winning the first three games of 1992 -- including wins over ranked Florida (4) and Georgia (14).  His fourth win came in the Hall of Fame Bowl against Boston College (16) after Majors was officially no longer the head coach.  I believe Majors was back for the Cincinnati game prior to LSU.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 03:52:02 EDT »

One nit to pick.  Fulmer is credited with winning the first three games of 1992 -- including wins over ranked Florida (4) and Georgia (14).  His fourth win came in the Hall of Fame Bowl against Boston College (16) after Majors was officially no longer the head coach.  I believe Majors was back for the Cincinnati game prior to LSU.

Yep. Came back and got back-to-back shutouts over Cincy and LSU before losing three straight to Arky, Bammer, and Cackalacky. Man, how good were we looking at 5-0 with wins over UGA and UF and two shutouts? That Arkansas game was one of the first I ever went to and was an amazingly deflating experience.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:55:15 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 04:02:17 EDT »

Yep. Came back and got back-to-back shutouts over Cincy and LSU before losing three straight to Arky, Bammer, and Cackalacky. Man, how good were we looking at 5-0 with wins over UGA and UF and two shutouts? That Arkansas game was one of the first I ever went to and was an amazingly deflating experience.

Except for Cincy, the offensive production really dropped off after Majors came back.  I recall the general feeling that Fulmer was more open with the offense than Majors.  Considering that Arky and SC were one-point losses, that was perceived as huge.
10EC
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 04:14:43 EDT »

Except for Cincy, the offensive production really dropped off after Majors came back.  I recall the general feeling that Fulmer was more open with the offense than Majors.  Considering that Arky and SC were one-point losses, that was perceived as huge.

Win the Arky game and we are the first SEC E champion and 98 doesn't happen.  

Was the best worse lose in our history imo.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:41:09 EDT by 10EC » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 04:15:26 EDT »

I think people forget, Arkansas was actually WINLESS at the time 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 04:27:16 EDT »

I think people forget, Arkansas was actually WINLESS at the time 

Nope. They had thumped South Carolina earlier that year. But they did suck, and nobody has forgotten that.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: