VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 02:38:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need more Gruden talk....  (Read 17360 times)
10EC
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:12 EST »

Unless I missed it that's the first stinky feet reference in quite some time. Well done, MIAU.

I was impressed.  Indeed, well done.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:14 EST »

Gruden is ugly and is said to hate people with malodorous feet.
Well played sir!  Well played.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 08:15:01 EST »

I thought my iphone was going to melt looking at VQ and all the Gruden talk/sightings today. 

I still haven't decided if I'm going to watch the annual victory over the comodedoors or not but it will be interesting if the 1st half or the 2nd half defense shows up. 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:36 EST »

I was impressed.  Indeed, well done.

I'm never posting here again!
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 08:35:24 EST »

Unless I missed it that's the first stinky feet reference in quite some time. Well done, MIAU.

Thank you, sir.  I thought I would go old school on y'all today.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
101stDad
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:30 EST »

We agree on this:

but not on this:

And neither one of us is "right" because we don't know Jon Gruden or anyone who may be talking to him.

OK, since you want to play, answer this question, and please use reason and logic:

Given that Gruden is an NFL guy - his only experience in college football was as a GA at UT (86 and 87) where by NCAA regs his role was limited (no recruiting, nothing off campus), and then a year each at Southeast Missouri and then a year at Pacific - why would it make sense for him to go back to college football when will be able to have his pick of several NFL jobs, making twice the money, working in an arena where his experience and expertise is?

20 years in the NFL, including 10 as a head coach.  Being a head coach in college football and in the NFL is an apples and bananas comparison.  

Like I said, there are just no sensible reasons why he either leaves what he is doing or turning down an NFL position to take a college position.  

Just trying to understand why there is such a buzz about something that doesn't make sense.  Other than the obligatory "his wife is from Jefferson County" answer, nothing that has been said makes sense about it.  

And it's not about being "right".  It's about being realistic. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:38 EST »

OK, since you want to play, answer this question, and please use reason and logic:

Given that Gruden is an NFL guy - his only experience in college football was as a GA at UT (86 and 87) where by NCAA regs his role was limited (no recruiting, nothing off campus), and then a year each at Southeast Missouri and then a year at Pacific - why would it make sense for him to go back to college football when will be able to have his pick of several NFL jobs, making twice the money, working in an arena where his experience and expertise is?

20 years in the NFL, including 10 as a head coach.  Being a head coach in college football and in the NFL is an apples and bananas comparison.  

Like I said, there are just no sensible reasons why he either leaves what he is doing or turning down an NFL position to take a college position.  

Just trying to understand why there is such a buzz about something that doesn't make sense.  Other than the obligatory "his wife is from Jefferson County" answer, nothing that has been said makes sense about it.  

I think it's pointless to argue about it on the front end. All the rumors say he's in play. If you're right (and you can't tell me that being right isn't important to you) then he won't be the coach and they'll hire somebody else. Either way, who cares? Half the fun of coaching searches is the wild rumors. What does it matter to you if everybody thinks / hopes / believes he's coming?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:54 EST »

Because he is the guy we want. We have seen articles and heard reports saying he would be interested so we think that it is awesome and why not UT....we have nothing exciting happening on the field so we pour our energy into a dream of Jon Gruden being our coach.  Why not?  
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 08:56:14 EST »

please use reason and logic

I would never dream of doing otherwise! 

If he thinks like you, clearly it wouldn't make sense to him. But he thinks like Jon Gruden so it's a bit hard to say.

And it's not about being "right". It's about being realistic.

Au contraire. For some it's always about being right! And regarding "being realistic," what could be more realistic than acknowledging you cannot be in another man's head to know what does or doesn't make sense to him?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

10EC
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 09:13:38 EST »

If he thinks like you, clearly it wouldn't make sense to him. But he thinks like Jon Gruden so it's a bit hard to say.

I can think of a few things that might interest him.

1) Some people like a challenge.  UT is clearly a challenge right now.

2) Some people like to be courted and walk into a situation as a "savior"
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:23 EST »

...what could be more realistic than acknowledging you cannot be in another man's head to know what does or doesn't make sense to him?
Why would anyone want to get inside your head???
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:49:11 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:55 EST »

Everyone was stunned when Spurrier quit

Everyone was surprised when Meyer quit FL

Everyone's jaw hit the floor when Bama got Saban.

Point is, there's no way to talk logically about something that we don't have first hand knowledge of. The Gruden rumors keep getting fueled, and not just by one or two sources. I don't know if they're BS or not, but things can happen, and it would not shock me for us to get him. No way for you to know that Cleveland even WANTS Gruden, or he'd even want to coach in that wasteland. No way for you to know that he isn't looking at Saban and saying "I can do that".

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:04 EST »

Everyone was stunned when Spurrier quit

Everyone was surprised when Meyer quit FL

Everyone's jaw hit the floor when Bama got Saban.

Point is, there's no way to talk logically about something that we don't have first hand knowledge of. The Gruden rumors keep getting fueled, and not just by one or two sources. I don't know if they're BS or not, but things can happen, and it would not shock me for us to get him. No way for you to know that Cleveland even WANTS Gruden, or he'd even want to coach in that wasteland. No way for you to know that he isn't looking at Saban and saying "I can do that".

Was there a big buildup when Spurrier became Coach of Florida?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 10:27:44 EST »

Was there a big buildup when Spurrier became Coach of Florida?

Nothing like when he left. he was coming from Duke to FL. A lot of people did think he'd turn FL around with his offense.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:01 EST »

You also see stuff like this (click on segment 8)

http://washington.cbslocal.com/audio/354-the-sports-junkies/

"Jason La Canfora on NFL.com says that he believes that Jon Gruden is more interested in the Tennessee job than any NFL opening. He was on 106.7 in DC this morning."

...and you have to wonder.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:26 EST »

UT benefits from the talk even if Gruden doesn't come. The more the association gets tossed about the more Gruden can command (thus benefitting him regardless of whether he goes to the NFL or stays at ESPN) and the hotter the opening seems. Perception is reality.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:23 EST »

Why is Gruden such a favorite HC choice amongst Vol fans?  His HC record isn't all that great.  Sure, he won the Super Bowl in his first year at TB (with Monte Kiffin, Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris coaching his D), but in the six years following he won only 47% of his regular season games, and without a playoff win.  Is it because you like his charasmatic personality, and think it projects well to recruiting?

I suppose he could turn out great at UT, but there is certainly the risk that he wouldn't. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:07 EST »

Why is Gruden such a favorite HC choice amongst Vol fans?  His HC record isn't all that great.  Sure, he won the Super Bowl in his first year at TB (with Monte Kiffin, Mike Tomlin and Raheem Morris coaching his D), but in the six years following he won only 47% of his regular season games, and without a playoff win.  Is it because you like his charasmatic personality, and think it projects well to recruiting?

I suppose he could turn out great at UT, but there is certainly the risk that he wouldn't. 

You forgot to add that he won the Super Bowl with Dungy's talent.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 03:40:17 EST »

And neither am I.  My point is that it doesn't make sense in any shape, form, or fashion, and there is no indication, other than internet message board talk, that it is going to happen.  

Pretty much my point of view.  I would say that he may not be that averse to coaching college, just that he won't for the money he would probably make.

I think we could do worse than Gruden though (see Kiffin or Dooley  ).  He would be a big upgrade from our current or last coach.  I'd love to see him sneering on the sideline.  He has tremendous self confidence and it radiates from him to his teams, IMO.  He would probably also be a great recruiter.  Not sure he would win consistently in college, but like I said we could do worse.

The only way I would credit the rumors is if it turned out that he makes less than $4 million now.  I saw that figure in the mainstream media, but they do make mistakes sometimes.  It seems quite a bit for a Monday night color guy, to say the least, BWDIK.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 04:04:30 EST »

You answered your own question.

Also Tampa was hamstrung by what they gave up to get him.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 04:57:37 EST »

You also see stuff like this (click on segment 8)

http://washington.cbslocal.com/audio/354-the-sports-junkies/

"Jason La Canfora on NFL.com says that he believes that Jon Gruden is more interested in the Tennessee job than any NFL opening. He was on 106.7 in DC this morning."

...and you have to wonder.

BanditVol on VTTW says that Jason La Canfora wants lots of hits on his blog from desperate Tennessee fans.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: