VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 11:06:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need more Gruden talk....  (Read 17354 times)
10EC
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:34:09 EST »

I need hope that things will get better
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:02:29 EST »

A top shelf Coach like Strong,Petrino,Mike Riley,Butch Jones,Art Briles,Kyle Whittingham of Utah or BYU's Bronco Mendenhall would be a strong step forward!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
101stDad
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:38:16 EST »

OK, Gruden talk:

If Gruden decides to leave the $4.2 million per year that he is earning in media to re-enter the coaching ranks, he is likely going to be in either Philly or Cleveland. 

Really, there is nothing about his coming to UT or going to college football that makes sense. 

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:42:39 EST »

OK, Gruden talk:

If Gruden decides to leave the $4.2 million per year that he is earning in media to re-enter the coaching ranks, he is likely going to be in either Philly or Cleveland. 

Really, there is nothing about his coming to UT or going to college football that makes sense. 

Gruden is a popular name in the NFL this Season. Dallas,San Diego,Tennessee Titans or Carolina could be possible landing spots

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:43:07 EST »

I need hope that things will get better

You know he has boyfriend potential!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:27 EST »

Perhaps, but this is just speculation too. Every person and every situation is different.

Perhaps Gruden is interested in developing players at an earlier stage based on his experience in the NFL? Perhaps he's more interested in the passion and energy of the college game? Perhaps he likes the idea of being a really big fish, even by the standards of our large SEC pond? Perhaps we've truly found a way to pay him bigger bucks than the NFL market will pay? Perhaps he and his wife really have a fondness for Knoxville?

Or perhaps none of those are the case and there's no chance of Gruden coming here. The bottom line is that none of us know. I will not truly believe any of the smoke until the fire is about to set me ablaze, but I think there are plenty of ways in which Gruden-to-UT can make sense for both parties.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:55 EST »

You know he has boyfriend potential!!

You very well could see Him Coaching the Titans in 2013

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:15:33 EST »

You very well could see Him Coaching the Titans in 2013

Highly doubtful.
101stDad
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:38:13 EST »

Perhaps, but this is just speculation too. Every person and every situation is different.

Perhaps Gruden is interested in developing players at an earlier stage based on his experience in the NFL? Perhaps he's more interested in the passion and energy of the college game? Perhaps he likes the idea of being a really big fish, even by the standards of our large SEC pond? Perhaps we've truly found a way to pay him bigger bucks than the NFL market will pay? Perhaps he and his wife really have a fondness for Knoxville?

Or perhaps none of those are the case and there's no chance of Gruden coming here. The bottom line is that none of us know. I will not truly believe any of the smoke until the fire is about to set me ablaze, but I think there are plenty of ways in which Gruden-to-UT can make sense for both parties.

If Gruden is ready to get back in to coaching, Jimmy Haslam will offer him nearly twice what UT can pay him to get him to Cleveland. 

The fact that Gruden's wife is from Jefferson County is the only thing that makes any sense at all in speculating that he has an interest in coming to UT. 

That said, if they really wanted to move back to East Tennessee then what has kept them from doing so already?  A lot of national media folks live in other places besides where their "media" is based - Jerry Punch lives in Knoxville, Kirk Herbstriet lives in Nashville, Jimmy Johnson still lives in Miami - and still do their jobs well.  Those folks can pretty much live where they want to.   If living in East Tennessee were important to the Grudens, what has stopped them from moving here already? 

Gruden is an NFL coach.  He's never been in a recruit's home, he's never had to answer to an AD or University President, and he's never had to smooze boosters. 

Nothing makes sense to believe that he is likely to do that at this point in his career when he can make twice the money at his choice of pretty much any NFL job that will be opening up. 
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 04:44:18 EST »

I don't think Gruden is out of this at all. Too many reports even from NFL folks stating his desire to coach at UT. Is it gonna happen, don't know, but I do think there's still a chance.
 After Gruden my choice would be Chip Kelly(but just can't see him leaving the west coast, and NIKE money for TN) after him would be Patterson, and I'm hearing a lot more talk about him being a top target(which I love). The man can recruit and coach to a big time level. I love the multiple spread the way TCU, and Oregon, and TAM run it. Of course anything that Saban hates I pretty much love, esp if it beats those arrogant tidy bowl cleaners. Most people think that a multiple spread is a pass happy offense like say the one Leach ran. But in reality it can be run heavy too like Oregon and TCU often are, just depends on the defense they're up against.
 Then it would be Peterson, Jeff Fisher, Strong......
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 05:24:11 EST »

Vinnie says Gruden is our guy....Vinnie would not say it if it wasn't true!! 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 06:04:24 EST »

Well the Vol Elite on facebook is once again posting that Gruden is a done deal today...just waiting on the announcement of the Dooley firing to be done....just wanted to give Lyn something to get excited about again!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:28 EST »

Well the Vol Elite on facebook is once again posting that Gruden is a done deal today...just waiting on the announcement of the Dooley firing to be done....just wanted to give Lyn something to get excited about again!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Woo!! 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:36:13 EST »

I think 101 makes a very good point about them being able to move to East Tennessee any time. They haven't so it seems unlikely. All I ask is that Hart a) not get creative and b) have everything ready to go the by Wednesday following the UK game.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:36:45 EST »

If Gruden is ready to get back in to coaching, Jimmy Haslam will offer him nearly twice what UT can pay him to get him to Cleveland. 

The fact that Gruden's wife is from Jefferson County is the only thing that makes any sense at all in speculating that he has an interest in coming to UT. 

That said, if they really wanted to move back to East Tennessee then what has kept them from doing so already?  A lot of national media folks live in other places besides where their "media" is based - Jerry Punch lives in Knoxville, Kirk Herbstriet lives in Nashville, Jimmy Johnson still lives in Miami - and still do their jobs well.  Those folks can pretty much live where they want to.   If living in East Tennessee were important to the Grudens, what has stopped them from moving here already? 

Gruden is an NFL coach.  He's never been in a recruit's home, he's never had to answer to an AD or University President, and he's never had to smooze boosters. 

Nothing makes sense to believe that he is likely to do that at this point in his career when he can make twice the money at his choice of pretty much any NFL job that will be opening up. 

I don't have the answers to any of these questions, Dad. I'm just not closing the door on it.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 06:39:43 EST »

I have been following this rumor since it started and the case for Gruden to Tennessee is flimsy to say the least. Furthermore, some folks have stated unequivocally that Gruden is absolutely NOT coming.

One of the big arguments from the naysayers has to do with the potential for Gruden to get a NFL job. For example, Erin Andrews, on the 3HL yesterday, scoffed at the notion that Gruden would consider UT when so many NFL jobs will likely be available.

Now, Andrews may be right, but here’s the thing. She doesn’t know for sure. In fact, as Clockwork pointed out, every person and situation is different and none of the folks speaking out at this point can say for certain what is driving Gruden’s decision.

Bottom line, getting Gruden appears to be a longshot but there may be more at play than any of us realize. So while I will not get my hopes up that Gruden will coaching the Vols in 2013, I will not totally dismiss the idea until something more substantive comes to light.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:42:43 EST by Mean Old Man » Logged
101stDad
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 06:40:37 EST »

I don't have the answers to any of these questions, Dad. I'm just not closing the door on it.

And neither am I.  My point is that it doesn't make sense in any shape, form, or fashion, and there is no indication, other than internet message board talk, that it is going to happen.  

Stranger things may have happened, but I can't recall anything stranger than this would be.  The "fit" just isn't there for either side.  It would be like trying to put a square peg in a smaller round hole.  

Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 06:43:49 EST »

Precisely. We don't know. Saying he won't come to UT because he is an NFL guy is just as much speculation as saying that he will come to UT because his wife is from East Tennessee and he started as a GA at UT. I think it's a very long shot that he comes to UT, but there are folks who are paid to analyze the NFL and know far more about these things than any single one of us posting on this forum who say he just might. And anyone who says unequivocally that he isn't coming to UT because he is an NFL guy with no interest in college are ignoring the fact that he was in serious discussions with Miami two years ago.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 06:45:33 EST »

We agree on this:

and there is no indication, other than internet message board talk, that it is going to happen.

but not on this:

My point is that it doesn't make sense in any shape, form, or fashion,

And neither one of us is "right" because we don't know Jon Gruden or anyone who may be talking to him.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 07:09:13 EST »

Vinnie says hopes Gruden is our guy.

Fixed it for ya.   
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 07:11:28 EST »

Fixed it for ya.   
No...I am holding you personally responsible for getting him here.  I'm giddy with excitement!!! 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 07:47:59 EST »

No...I am holding you personally responsible for getting him here.  I'm giddy with excitement!!! 

Gruden is ugly and is said to hate people with malodorous feet.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:53 EST »

Gruden is ugly and is said to hate people with malodorous feet.

That's a lie!! 
10EC
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:42 EST »

That's a lie!! 

Which part?   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:14 EST »

Unless I missed it that's the first stinky feet reference in quite some time. Well done, MIAU.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: