VTTW Board Index
June 10, 2024, 06:42:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, today at least 99% of the Vol nation will get their wish  (Read 2736 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:46:15 EST »

Unfortunately it will be after an unqualified coach has destroyed the team we love and support.  Whomever is hired has a monumental rebuilding task in front of him.  This team is far, far worse off than when Fulmer fired.

Go Vols!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:49:00 EST »

I dunno. I think we have much better line depth on both sides than when Fulmer left and probably a better QB situation. Even if Hunter, Patterson and Bray leave (kind of hoping for the latter) the cupboard isn't bare.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:59:40 EST »

I dunno. I think we have much better line depth on both sides than when Fulmer left and probably a better QB situation. the cupboard isn't bare.
oh yes it is.  Other than QB and the OL we are far worse off talent wise.  
Pig can be a good WR/RB combo guy, Dallas only is playing WR because dricky was kicked off the team
Both RBs are average
On defense outside Randolph and Maggitt maybe 1 or 2 could play foe any other SEC team, even KY.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:11:18 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:18:02 EST »

oh yes it is.  Other than QB and the OL we are far worse off talent wise.  
Pig can be a good WR/RB combo guy, Dallas only is playing WR because dricky was kicked off the team
Both RBs are average
On defense outside Randolph and Maggitt maybe 1 or 2 could play foe any other SEC team, even KY.

McCullers, A.J. Johnson and Sentimore are quality players. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:30:11 EST »

Kiffin had two undersized walk-ons starting on the OL. The Sullins played really hard and I was a big fan of their work, but not only is the OL in better shape now it's in waaay better shape. Ditto for the DL and QB. I'm not sure you couldn't throw LB in there too. In order of importance I'd rank quality line play at the top. QB play is just behind it.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:39:08 EST »

Given proper direction, I think you'll be surprised what this roster can accomplish next year, whether the juniors return or not.

That said, the commit list we have lined up right now for 2013 would rank among the worst of the Fulmer era.  Maybe not 2008 bad, but close.  If the next coach can't salvage something out of this class, he's going to be behind the 8 ball from year two going forward.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:55:31 EST »

Kiffin had two undersized walk-ons starting on the OL. The Sullins played really hard and I was a big fan of their work, but not only is the OL in better shape now it's in waaay better shape. Ditto for the DL and QB. I'm not sure you couldn't throw LB in there too. In order of importance I'd rank quality line play at the top. QB play is just behind it.

I agree that line play is the most important, not because it's MO, but because I have heard Switzer, Lombardi, and Neyland all say so.  Having said that, IMO this is the best OL we have had at Tennessee in a long time, maybe going back to 2001.  DL...not so sure.  Best since 2008, maybe.  Our D was not the issue in 2008.

We are short on talent on D compared to O, but have at least a half dozen quality SEC athletes.   I think most of our D could start for lower SEC teams, which unfortunately we are right now, but a few could start anywhere in the conference.  We definitely need shoring up on that side of the ball.  I heard last night that Bill Snyder likes Juco players because they come in hungry.  McCullers and Sentimore have done fine for us this year, maybe we can grab a couple DBs, get Randolph back and at least be competant back there.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: