VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:19:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aw screw it. Here's what I think....  (Read 16114 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:22 EST »

I think Jon Gruden is going to be our next coach.  There.  I said it.  I also think a lot of you feel the same way and are afraid to say it out loud, for fear that we'll get burned again.  I can't blame you for that.  But I think it's going to happen.   

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:59:38 EST »

Cosign
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:01:07 EST »

I agree with you and yes I know how crazy it sounds. But there is too much smoke.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:02:19 EST »

I swear if you have jinxed this....
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:05:08 EST »

I want to believe . . .
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:40 EST »

I agree with you and yes I know how crazy it sounds. But there is too much smoke.
If it does happen I cannot wait for someone to point out Mark Howard said there is NO CHANCE it would happen.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:07:59 EST »

OK, let me say...I do not think that way.  When I see and smell smoke, I think something is on fire.  I also think smokescreen. Call me cynical.  I will not believe it until I see and hear Gruden say yes.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:08:30 EST »

I believe with cautious optimism. :)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:56 EST »

OK, let me say...I do not think that way.  I when I see and smell smoke, I think something is on fire.  I also think smokescreen. Call me cynical.  I will not believe it until I see and hear Gruden say yes.

That is a very valid statement. However in the case of smokescreens there is usually somebody denying something. The only denial that has been issued was a weak non-committal response by ESPN saying Gruden is committed to MNF, which means nothing beyond this season, especially when their own employee (Mortensen) believes he could be interested in the UT job.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:17:30 EST »

I don't believe....just like i didn't believe that we would beat UF.  Gruden is just a pipe dream....I predict we end up with Strong, or some other safe but not bedazzling hire.  Wish I could believe..... but we have had the football jerked away at the last minute so many times.  We are like Charlie Brown...we keep believeing that Lucy will let us kick it.  I am totally prepared for Sonny Dykes, or some other slappy.  We aint the prettiest girl at the dance any more....we are the ugly kid sitting in the corner with the other nerds.  I just hope somebody agrees to be our coach.  . 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 07:26:14 EST »

I don't believe....just like i didn't believe that we would beat UF.  Gruden is just a pipe dream....I predict we end up with Strong, or some other safe but not bedazzling hire.  Wish I could believe..... but we have had the football jerked away at the last minute so many times.  We are like Charlie Brown...we keep believeing that Lucy will let us kick it.  I am totally prepared for Sonny Dykes, or some other slappy.  We aint the prettiest girl at the dance any more....we are the ugly kid sitting in the corner with the other nerds.  I just hope somebody agrees to be our coach.  . 

If it is Sonny Dykes then I quit.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 07:29:42 EST »

I'll cosign that shizzle. If it's someone like Dykes then my attitude toward UT football will probably not change . . . I will be waiting for something good to actually happen before I can have any positive feelings or desire to go to games.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:31:20 EST »

I'll cosign that shizzle. If it's someone like Dykes then my attitude toward UT football will probably not change . . . I will be waiting for something good to actually happen before I can have any positive feelings or desire to go to games.

The thing is I'm almost sure that he's a better X & O coach than Dooley, but c'mon... if we can't do better than Sonny Dykes or the dude at La Monroe, then why not keep Dooley for recruiting and stability?

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 07:47:52 EST »

I don't think Hart is going after Sonny Dykes.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:56 EST »

I'll take the job! No buyout either. Just give me plenty of money for assistants and lets roll.  I'll be in over my head but that hasn't mattered in the past why should it now?   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:41 EST »

Dittos

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:59 EST »

If Gruden is hired, it's hard to imagine him as more than a short-term fix. If he's successful within 2-4 years, the NFL will throw unbelievably large wads of cash his way.  Of course, even a short-term fix is better than no fix.
101stDad
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:15:56 EST »

Dittos

Mega.  This hire has to be somebody with a proved track record at a high level of football, be that either in the NFL or at a BCS conference level school.  Anything short of that and firing Dooley was a waste of $5 million.  
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 08:33:05 EST »

We may all be very happy on Nov. 30th.   
101stDad
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:28 EST »

I will only be happy on that date if the Panthers are celebrating a Blue Cross Bowl victory.   
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 08:37:35 EST »

If Gruden is hired, it's hard to imagine him as more than a short-term fix. If he's successful within 2-4 years, the NFL will throw unbelievably large wads of cash his way.  Of course, even a short-term fix is better than no fix.

I want to believe so badly.  I agree that there is alot of smoke.  Most of the time it is one person hearing something, but this time, a ton of people keep talking about it.  Also, like Jeff said, if Gruden was comfortable in his current position and not interested, why not come out and put it to bed and issue the comment of he doesn't have any interest?

Also, I disagree with Flea, if he is our coach, why would he only be here for 2 - 4 years?  The thing is he has won a super bowl in the NFL and 2 AFC titles.  What is left to prove in the NFL?  Also, the dude is loaded, so I can't see this being all about cash and the NFL throwing a ton of money at him.  If he builds a national championship team at UT, he would go down as one of the best coaches of all time....an NCAA champion and an NFL champion...not many could say that at all.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 08:43:59 EST »

Ditto, I think he's coming!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:08 EST »

Vinnie, that limb you are on better be sturdy!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 09:00:05 EST »

You really can't think in terms of more than 5 years in this biz anymore.  Just ask Urban.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:07 EST »

Vinnie, that limb you are on better be sturdy!!

I thought it was December 22?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: