VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 06:53:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question for the Assembled Masses  (Read 3648 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:39:50 EST »

Does the Gruden rejection upend Hart, or did he expect it and plan to to hire one of the guys coaching this weekend as a fallback? In short, how many of his eggs did he place in the proverbial Gruden basket?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:50 EST »

I wouldn't say it's over yet....all we know right now is that Gruden cancelled the meeting today.
There could be a myriad of reasons why. Lots of conflicting info

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:16 EST »

Does the Gruden rejection upend Hart, or did he expect it and plan to to hire one of the guys coaching this weekend as a fallback? In short, how many of his eggs did he place in the proverbial Gruden basket?

We put a lot more eggs in one basket than anyone in the administration did, seemingly.  I don't think this should doom Hart at all, still several candidates out there.  I think it's silly to see those saying "Hart should be fired" just because we appear to be not getting Gruden.

Now, if you don't mind.  I'm going out to my car to listen to REM's "Everybody Hurts" in private.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:08 EST »

That's an infinitely better selection than Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" so don't feel bad. I'm expecting you to switch to "War Machine" as soon as the pain gives way to anger.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:36 EST »

If Hubbs is correct and Gruden basically said, "There's no reason to meet" it could mean that he has no interest or it's just part of the negotiating dance and he is hoping for a larger offer to follow.  Maybe he simply canceled and he never said what Hubbs said he said and they will reschedule. Maybe they were never really scheduled for today in the first place.  We don't really know.

I don't really have much more hope that we get Gruden, though, but I'm not to the point of totally giving up.  There are other great coaches out there.  Gruden or doom is not a valid attitude, imo.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:50 EST »

That's an infinitely better selection than Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" so don't feel bad. I'm expecting you to switch to "War Machine" as soon as the pain gives way to anger.

Nice.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:32 EST »

Do we really know there was a meeting scheduled and canceled?  Who was reporting the meeting beforehand?  Do we really know Hart was pursuing and Gruden canceled?  Maybe it's all true, but maybe this is just more of the same.  Nothing reported so far has really panned out; it's all been speculation and reports based on "sources" information.  I have never thought Gruden would be the next coach, especially since he is primarily an NFL guy, but stranger things have happened.  There is not one name out there that excites me, including Gruden, although hiring him would make headlines and calm the Vol masses.  Hart should and will be judged not on how well the hire is embraced/accepted when it is announced, but rather on how well the new guy does (recruiting, wins and losses) once he starts coaching.  As it was with Dooley and Kiffin, time will tell.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:17:04 EST »

I don't know who said/what or who knows what who said/did.

I think some of these guys are making some of this stuff up in order to generate hits for their boards, twit followers or listeners to their radio shows. When they're wrong, obviously it hurts their credibility, but with all the crap floating around, who keeps track?
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:00 EST »

I think some of these guys are making some of this stuff up in order to generate hits for their boards....

No way!  Who would ever do something as low down and dirty as that?!   
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:05 EST »

Jimmy Haslem let Mike Holmgren go. Tennessee could go after Mike Holmgren,He's available!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:55 EST »

Hubbs is pretty conservative as a reporter and doesn't make things up, from what I have seen from him

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:24:35 EST »

Jimmy Haslem let Mike Holmgren go. Tennessee could go after Mike Holmgren,He's available!

Huh. That is a thought.  But talk about an "unexciting" candidate.  LOL!  Put Holmgren at the top of that list.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: