VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 03:52:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strong reportedly says no, per SI  (Read 9870 times)
101stDad
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:32:23 EST »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/12/05/louisville-charlie-strong-extension/index.html

Damn.  Let's just hire frickin' George Quarles.   
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:14 EST »

Why does nobody seem to want the UT job? Is it because Dooley was let go after 3 years or is it the probation?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
101stDad
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:18 EST »

Why does nobody seem to want the UT job? Is it because Dooley was let go after 3 years or is it the probation?

I think it is because our program just sucks right now. 

I fear that it is going to be a long rebuilding process. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:37:35 EST »

I think it is because our program just sucks right now. 

I fear that it is going to be a long rebuilding process. 

I hope Tennessee doesn't wind up like 70s-80s Ole Miss

101stDad
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:38:56 EST »

I hope Tennessee doesn't wind up like 70s-80s Ole Miss

Wind up?  That's where we are right now.   
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:39:53 EST »

Why the press conference for tomorrow then??

Go Big Orange.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:15 EST »

If He's staying to announce He's staying

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:50 EST »

As I posted before, it's a tough job when it's down and rebuilding is needed.

Yes, the tradition, the fans and the facilities are great. But recruiting nationally is difficult. It takes a lot of work and some coaches don't want to put their reputation (and future job prospects) on the line facing such a task.
101stDad
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:28 EST »

The press conference is in Louisville.  If he were coming to UT the press conference would be in Knoxville. 
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:44 EST »

I think we're going to have to suck it up and hire the best non-head coach. We might even have to let Chaney try it. Hire Ellis Johnson for defense.  Yea, I know. But we're in a hole and no one wants to climb in with us.
101stDad
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:58 EST »

I think we're going to have to suck it up and hire the best non-head coach. We might even have to let Chaney try it. Hire Ellis Johnson for defense.  Yea, I know. But we're in a hole and no one wants to climb in with us.

Chaney?  Not just no, but hell frickin' no.  He's worse than Dooley with high school coaches. 

Bring somebody in with some personality - somebody who can actually carry on a conversation with a high school coach, recruit, parent, or supporter without coming off as an arrogant prick. 

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:50:42 EST »

According to Coaching Scoop Ellis Johnson will be Defensive Coordinator for Auburn under Mahlzan

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:17 EST »

Chaney?  Not just no, but hell frickin' no.  He's worse than Dooley with high school coaches. 

Bring somebody in with some personality - somebody who can actually carry on a conversation with a high school coach, recruit, parent, or supporter without coming off as an arrogant prick. 

If it has to be an assistant, I want Kliff Kingsbury.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 01:53:01 EST »

If it has to be an assistant, I want Kliff Kingsbury.

AMEN! I don't want a Nick Saban assistant

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:03 EST »

I knew when they said negotiations that it was not going to happen.  Jurich had said he would let Charlie go if Charlie did not want to be here, or absolutely wanted to be somewhere else, but that he would never lose Charlie to a contract.

I as still a little surprised that Charlie did not jump at the chance to get to the SEC, but not at all surprised that we had no chance in a bidding war.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:39 EST »

I knew when they said negotiations that it was not going to happen.  Jurich had said he would let Charlie go if Charlie did not want to be here, or absolutely wanted to be somewhere else, but that he would never lose Charlie to a contract.

I as still a little surprised that Charlie did not jump at the chance to get to the SEC, but not at all surprised that we had no chance in a bidding war.

CCS may want to win a few more years there and then jump to the NFL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 03:18:20 EST »

Well I think $4 million is enough for Strong.  Lousville slightly beat it, good for them, they can then have him.  There are other coaches. 

Fedora would not be the worst hire, by far.  There has been no mention of the guy at Stanford, and he is probably unlikely to leave, but I would love to have him.

Art Briles...maybe even BDV's suggestion of Riley at Oregon State....there are still a few credible coaches around.

If we stick with the BCS schools, then I am pretty much out of ideas.  Wait...Dantonio at MSU has been mentioned a few times.

Dropping down to mid-majors, Dykes is an obvious no.   I can't recall the name of the guy at Western Kentucky, and he might have already gone elsewhere, but I'd prefer him to someone like Golden.   

Still other options out there, all of which are far better than Dooley, IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:43:08 EST »

Well I think $4 million is enough for Strong.  Lousville slightly beat it, good for them, they can then have him.  There are other coaches. 

Fedora would not be the worst hire, by far.  There has been no mention of the guy at Stanford, and he is probably unlikely to leave, but I would love to have him.

Art Briles...maybe even BDV's suggestion of Riley at Oregon State....there are still a few credible coaches around.

If we stick with the BCS schools, then I am pretty much out of ideas.  Wait...Dantonio at MSU has been mentioned a few times.

Dropping down to mid-majors, Dykes is an obvious no.   I can't recall the name of the guy at Western Kentucky, and he might have already gone elsewhere, but I'd prefer him to someone like Golden.   

Sonny Dykes was hired by California

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:49:22 EST »

Wind up?  That's where we are right now.   

Well, except it hasn't been 20 years...yet. 

And I don't think it will be.  But let's get a coach in here pretty soon!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 07:41:27 EST »

The Western Kentucky Coach is going to South Florida to replace Skip Holtz

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: