VTTW Board Index
June 08, 2024, 06:25:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this woman to blame?  (Read 8496 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:37 EST »

Dr. Susan Martin Biography

Dr. Susan Martin was named Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs in May 2009, after serving in the position on an interim basis since July 2008. Previously, she had served as senior vice provost.
Prior to her role as vice provost, Dr. Martin was associate dean of the UT Knoxville College of Arts and Sciences from 2000 to 2004, and prior to that spent nine years as a department head. She joined the faculty of the Department of Classics at UT Knoxville in 1981.
Born and raised in Berkeley, California, Dr. Martin received B.A. degrees in comparative literature (French and German, 1973) and classical philology (1976) from the University of California, Berkeley. She has M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in classical studies from the University of Michigan (1981). She spent a junior year abroad at the Universit de Bordeaux (1971-72), was a  fellow of the American Academy in Rome (1980-81) and a Liberal Arts Fellow in Law and Classics at Harvard Law School (1988-89).
Dr. Martin’s research focuses on Roman law of the classical period (50 B.C. - A.D. 250) with particular emphasis on its relationship to the society and economy of Rome. Her publications have focused on contract law and in particular, the organization of such essential functions as construction and transportation. She teaches Latin at all levels, as well as courses in Roman Law, and Women in  Antiquity.
She has served as chair of the Advisory Council to the Classical School Committee of the American Academy in Rome and as President of the Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association. She was the recipient of the Jacqueline Elliott Award for Service in Higher Education from the TFLTA in 2003. She is past president of the Classical Association of the Middle West and South.

Share via Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:56:02 EST »

Eh.  Women.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:57:08 EST »

Eh.  Women.

Beg pardon?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:59:51 EST »

Well I think many think she is behind our "issues" in the administration. Just wanted the opinion of others on the board.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:02:36 EST »

I have heard her name thrown around, most recently by Bassillio

The bio you posted is no help at all, however. 

What leads you to believe she is part of the problem?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:04:00 EST »

I have heard her name thrown around, most recently by Bassillio

The bio you posted is no help at all, however. 

What leads you to believe she is part of the problem?

Because when men fizzle shizzle up they blame women.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:18 EST »

Let's see. She's spent her entire career in education, but I see nothing on her bio that suggests she could teach anyone a marketable skill. Her gender isn't a problem, but that is.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:39 EST »

Beg pardon?

Kidding!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:07:07 EST »

I saw it on another board and keep hearing vague references to our "issues on the administrative" side. With a resume/bio like that I doubt she cares much about football. 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:52 EST »

Because when men fizzle shizzle up they blame women.

Bad title. My bad. I do remember Linda Bensel-Meyers though...
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 07:09:46 EST »

I saw it on another board and keep hearing vague references to our "issues on the administrative" side. With a resume/bio like that I doubt she cares much about football. 

That's right!  Her bio says nothing about her abilities to make a sammich! 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 07:10:14 EST »

Jim Jong Cheek is no help either
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 07:11:25 EST »

Vague references.  Exactly.  I see that she is the provost, but have no idea what her problem may be.

So....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:12:07 EST »

Because intelligent, career minded women aren't interested in football?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 07:18:31 EST »

Because intelligent, career minded women aren't interested in football?

Certainly can be! I would like to know what the innuendo is re: the academic issues?  That's all.  I just cut& pasted it. I like women!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:57 EST »

Certainly can be! I would like to know what the innuendo is re: the academic issues?  That's all.  I just cut& pasted it. I like women!

Is it not on record that Jimmy Cheek has been the issue there? Do you honestly think Strong turned us down over academic issues?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 07:27:42 EST »

Hubbs has implied academics may have been a factor. I find that hard to believe. I'm going to edit thread title
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 07:30:09 EST »

Can't on my phone! Should be titled "Is this person & Jimmy Cheek responsible... "
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 07:31:00 EST »

I think they sent her up to Louisville a la Hostessgate... She botched the mission.

JK!!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 07:36:02 EST »

I think they sent her up to Louisville a la Hostessgate... She botched the mission.

JK!!

Dammit...why didn't they send me!?!
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 07:50:11 EST »

Dammit...why didn't they send me!?!

Death penalty, here we come!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 07:50:18 EST »

The only reason UT is eliminating academic programs is the state of Tennessee will not fund academics.  The state has been stagnant on funding and not keeping up with the cost of living.  When the total $$ and % of state funding drops,, the administration has to look at the type of programs that are of benefit to academic standing.  The state government has charged UT to increase it's academic ranking and to get rid of programs that are marginal in producing candidates for high paying jobs.  There is just not enough money or will in state government to keep every marginal program.  The state government does not care jack squat about UT football.  If Cheek can improve the academic standing, it will bring in more federal and industrial $$ that can replace state money which will continue to decline.  UT has been instructed by the boards that govern it to streamline and increase efficiency.  You want the urban studies program back, go tell your state legislators to increase funding to UT.  Without state $$$, it ain't gonna happen.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 07:57:03 EST »

The only reason UT is eliminating academic programs is the state of Tennessee will not fund academics.  The state has been stagnant on funding and not keeping up with the cost of living.  When the total $$ and % of state funding drops,, the administration has to look at the type of programs that are of benefit to academic standing.  The state government has charged UT to increase it's academic ranking and to get rid of programs that are marginal in producing candidates for high paying jobs.  There is just not enough money or will in state government to keep every marginal program.  The state government does not care jack squat about UT football.  If Cheek can improve the academic standing, it will bring in more federal and industrial $$ that can replace state money which will continue to decline.  UT has been instructed by the boards that govern it to streamline and increase efficiency.  You want the urban studies program back, go tell your state legislators to increase funding to UT.  Without state $$$, it ain't gonna happen.

Ok. See I didn't even know this. So we are eliminating programs that might appeal to "student"/athletes. Interesting.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:27 EST »

Some people say that there's a woman to blame.

But we know it's our own damn fault

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 10:01:18 EST »

The only reason UT is eliminating academic programs is the state of Tennessee will not fund academics.  The state has been stagnant on funding and not keeping up with the cost of living.  When the total $$ and % of state funding drops,, the administration has to look at the type of programs that are of benefit to academic standing.  The state government has charged UT to increase it's academic ranking and to get rid of programs that are marginal in producing candidates for high paying jobs.  There is just not enough money or will in state government to keep every marginal program.  The state government does not care jack squat about UT football.  If Cheek can improve the academic standing, it will bring in more federal and industrial $$ that can replace state money which will continue to decline.  UT has been instructed by the boards that govern it to streamline and increase efficiency.  You want the urban studies program back, go tell your state legislators to increase funding to UT.  Without state $$$, it ain't gonna happen.

That makes sense.......I think.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: