VTTW Board Index
June 28, 2024, 11:36:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, color me impressed. This guy...  (Read 7366 times)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:11:01 EST »

...has that "Pearl" quality I have been saying is needed for this program.  If he can transpate that into wins,...  I am actually looking forward to seeing his product on the field.  He certainly blows Dooley and Kiffin both out of the water as far as personality, passion, drive, etc. IMO.   
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:11 EST »

...has that "Pearl" quality I have been saying is needed for this program.  If he can transpate that into wins,...  I am actually looking forward to seeing his product on the field.  He certainly blows Dooley and Kiffin both out of the water as far as personality, passion, drive, etc. IMO.   

I was very impressed,I think Tennessee may have found a diamond in the rough

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:16:40 EST »

I say this as nicely as possible. I hope Jones destroys every other team while he's at UT. That having been said I've heard a lot of good speeches. Houston Nutt was a master of them (in a very unpolished kind of way)

I sat through a ton of nice speeches in meetings this week. The proof is in the pudding. Most people know what they should do, they're just not great at doing it.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:23 EST »

The presser was irrelevant to me.  I'm in full on show me mode.  BUT, do agree he was likeable.  He also seemed like the knida guy that would insist on physical play and discipline.... Maybe it was the throwback haircut.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:33 EST »

Talk about having the right answers, and genuine to boot! I'm on board and all in. Very impressed with CBJ, and tell ya what, he's going to be impressive on the recruiting trail.
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:57 EST »

Grant he wasn't our first choice and.I wad upset with his being chosen but the more he speaks the more I like. I think he will be ok now.

GO LYLE "BUTCH" JONES!!!  

GO VOLS!  
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:22:21 EST »

Talk about having the right answers, and genuine to boot! I'm on board and all in. Very impressed with CBJ, and tell ya what, he's going to be impressive on the recruiting trail.

I like it that Tennessee will be going back to the four man front on defense

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:23:01 EST »

I say this as nicely as possible. I hope Jones destroys every other team while he's at UT. That having been said I've heard a lot of good speeches. Houston Nutt was a master of them (in a very unpolished kind of way)

I sat through a ton of nice speeches in meetings this week. The proof is in the pudding. Most people know what they should do, they're just not great at doing it.

Absolutely!  That's why I said "if he can translate that into wins."  But it sure helps to have that passion and drive.  Plus, I liked the discipline and physical football references.  I'd love to see that.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:26:15 EST »

I like it that Tennessee will be going back to the four man front on defense

Well, he better get to recruiting then. We don't have enough decent DL to fill out a 3 man line, much less a 4.
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 09:28:31 EST »

Oh we got a few..they just have vertigo from being dropped out in space and asked 2 play jack linebacker.. Lol
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:30:47 EST »

Oh we got a few..they just have vertigo from being dropped out in space and asked 2 play jack linebacker.. Lol

That's true. a few guys we had playing OLB could go back to DE.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 09:33:49 EST »

That's true. a few guys we had playing OLB could go back to DE.
Most of those we had playing OLB were DEs and were playing DE most of the year.  We really played a 4/5 man front except when we were in the dime package all year.  Non Dime package 3 man front plays you probably don't need your shoes off to count.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:46 EST »

Needs to recruit his own team first. Don't need a lot of transfers and players leaving
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:37 EST »

I didn't see it but will later. Good news! I trust your level headed observation.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:00 EST »

Needs to recruit his own team first. Don't need a lot of transfers and players leaving

Based on what he said, it sounds like he hit it off well with the players or thought he did (1:30 p.m. meeting) and he recruited quite a few of them while he was at Cincy. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:06 EST »

I was impressed with him based on the press conference not because he was eloquent of speech, because I don't think he was particularly. He came across as genuine and excited to be a Vol, though...and very confident.  To me, he's a dang football coach, not a lawyer attempting to be one.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 10:10:54 EST »

Just to be clear on my intent, I was impressed with the man's passion, personality, apparent drive, etc.  He still has a lot of work to do and a lot of "proving it" to do on the field.  That's really what matters.  But, I think he has some qualities very similar to those that drew fans to Bruce Pearl.  If he can get that fan interest peaked and win on the field, then....
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:01:24 EST »

To me, he's a dang football coach, not a lawyer attempting to be one.

Boom!  Dooley from the very first, deliberate use of the word "britches" struck me as someone trying to cultivate an image.   Deinitley "lawyer-like".  And throughout his tenure he kind of acted like a politician to my POV.

I didn't see the presser yet but heard a good deal of it on the radio, and while it's clear that Butch has carefully rehearsed many of his answers, they also sounded genuine and from the heart.  I never got that with Dooley. More like cold and crafted.

It's a definite step up, whether that says much remains to be seen, but I am pretty happy today.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: