VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 06:37:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT - FBI Moneypack Virus Question  (Read 1959 times)
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:56:37 EST »

I have noticed that a few of your have an IT background.  I was hoping to get a quick opinion of my dilemma.  Yesterday, my home computer got the FBI Moneypack virus.  Luckily it was just on my profile but it put my profile on total lockdown.  I could access the Internet by using my wife's profile on the same computer.  AntiVirus software and fixing virus problems is not something I do well.  That being said, I did the following:

In a panick, I renewed the McAfee that was already installed on the computer.  After renewing the software, I quickly learned that McAfee is the Sal Sunseri of virus protection.
I then dowloaded the free version of Avast on a recommendation from a friend.  It at least spoke up that there might be a problem but did nothing to fix.
Finally, I downloaded malwarebytes (sp?) after doing some online research.  It ran a 3 hour scan and found what I hope is the bad stuff.  I can at least now access my profile and ran a 2nd scan overnight from my profile that found more bad files and removed them.  

I think I might have the virus removed based on being able to use my profile.  My question is, how do I know for sure?  We have a previously downloaded ccleaner on the computer.  Is ccleaner a helpful resource in this fight? If that runs sucessfully, will I be done?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:57:58 EST »

I am far from a tech guy, but is there any chance that you can remove the FBI Moneypak malware by entering Windows in "Safe Mode With Command Prompt" and performing a system restore (restore your computer to a date and time before infection)?
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:26 EST »

Not an IT guy, but I have somehow been designated official exterminator for family and friends, and here is what I usually do.

1.  Malwarebytes
2.  SuperAntiSpyware
3.  TempFileCleaner
4.  CCCleaner
5.  Rerun Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

I have only had one really nasty instance where this cocktail did not work.  

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:40:14 EST »

Thanks for the feedback.  At least I know I am within reason of getting this virus off my computer. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: