VTTW Board Index
June 05, 2024, 03:47:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK's hoops class for 2013 is SICK  (Read 5691 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:39:22 EST »

FIVE  5 stars in the class. I hate Calipari

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2013/kentucky-69
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:22 EST »

I don't see how the NCAA can allow this to continue. I'm not suggesting that Calipari is doing anything blatantly illegal, shady though he may be. But he does take advantage of the rule-bending opportunities better than perhaps any other coach. The result is that UK is basically a DNBA club.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:42:31 EST »

I don't see how the NCAA can allow this to continue. I'm not suggesting that Calipari is doing anything blatantly illegal, shady though he may be. But he does take advantage of the rule-bending opportunities better than perhaps any other coach. The result is that UK is basically a DNBA club.

The rule is the NBA's, nothing the NCAA  can do.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:21 EST »

The rule is the NBA's, nothing the NCAA  can do.

I'm not talking about the one-and-done rule, though I would prefer the NBA to drop it for the sake of the integrity of the college game.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:19 EST »

I'm not talking about the one-and-done rule, though I would prefer the NBA to drop it for the sake of the integrity of the college game.

then what are you talking about?

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:44:50 EST »

then what are you talking about?

I'm talking about the rule-bending that goes on in NCAA recruiting. The involvement of shady characters like World Wide Wes, the fringe role played by corporations like Nike (and FedEx), these ludicrous ESPN All-Access shows that are glorified recruiting tools. I could go on and on.

Unlike a lot of SEC fans, I don't think Calipari engages in blatantly illegal recruiting tactics, but he's a master of taking advantage of these grey areas. I'm convinced the NCAA will eventually crack down on it if Calipari is at UK for an extended period of time. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to do so. Any amount of time is too long. I mean, we live in a world where Bruce Pearl can be blacklisted from coaching for violations stemming from having a recruit at his home who is one year younger than the rules allow, yet the NCAA refuses to classify World Wide Wes an agent . . . a world where the NCAA can use a manufactured "bump" violation to further its case against a coach like Pearl yet allows ESPN to give unsigned recruits like the Harrison twins big play on the All-Access Kentucky show despite it being a rules violation for a school to publicize unsigned recruits.

On either side of college basketball are organizations rife with corruption -- the AAU on one side and the NBA on the other. That corruption is spilling over into college ball at an alarming rate right now, and that acceleration is largely due to one program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't care how many national championships he wins or how many players he sends to the NBA, John Calipari represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 08:13:16 EST »

I'm talking about the rule-bending that goes on in NCAA recruiting. The involvement of shady characters like World Wide Wes, the fringe role played by corporations like Nike (and FedEx), these ludicrous ESPN All-Access shows that are glorified recruiting tools. I could go on and on.

Unlike a lot of SEC fans, I don't think Calipari engages in blatantly illegal recruiting tactics, but he's a master of taking advantage of these grey areas. I'm convinced the NCAA will eventually crack down on it if Calipari is at UK for an extended period of time. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to do so. Any amount of time is too long. I mean, we live in a world where Bruce Pearl can be blacklisted from coaching for violations stemming from having a recruit at his home who is one year younger than the rules allow, yet the NCAA refuses to classify World Wide Wes an agent . . . a world where the NCAA can use a manufactured "bump" violation to further its case against a coach like Pearl yet allows ESPN to give unsigned recruits like the Harrison twins big play on the All-Access Kentucky show despite it being a rules violation for a school to publicize unsigned recruits.

On either side of college basketball are organizations rife with corruption -- the AAU on one side and the NBA on the other. That corruption is spilling over into college ball at an alarming rate right now, and that acceleration is largely due to one program. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't care how many national championships he wins or how many players he sends to the NBA, John Calipari represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.

NO disagreement with anything there. He is slime.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:28:34 EST »

Probably rented for one season as usual

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:11:37 EST »

It defies logic. Per Rivals there are 23 5* players in this class, and 5 of them are going to sign with Kentucky. There are 347 D-I teams, yet 20+% of the 5 stars sign the same place? It's absurd. I'm sure he sells himself as the ultimate 1-and-done coach . . . which, frankly, he is. But that is nothing to be proud of and goes against everything college athletics should be about.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:25 EST »

There is a reason banners are taken down after he leaves a program.  I am surprised a rival coach has not turned on Cal yet while at UK.  All of these guys must have so much dirt on each other.  I wish I could be iniside recruiting for one season.  Then again, I might never view college athletics the same afterwards. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 05:30:43 EST »

It defies logic. Per Rivals there are 23 5* players in this class, and 5 of them are going to sign with Kentucky. There are 347 D-I teams, yet 20+% of the 5 stars sign the same place? It's absurd. I'm sure he sells himself as the ultimate 1-and-done coach . . . which, frankly, he is. But that is nothing to be proud of and goes against everything college athletics should be about.

That is exactly what he does, and you should see the curriculum they have for the one semester they have to pass.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 04:26:50 EST »

The violation itself didn't cause Pearl to be black listed.  It was the fact he lied to the NCAA about it when confronted about it.  I really think if he had just said , yes, that was at my house, that it would have been a minor violation at best.  Nothing to the extent of post season ban or a firing offense.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:50 EST »

The violation itself didn't cause Pearl to be black listed.  It was the fact he lied to the NCAA about it when confronted about it.  I really think if he had just said , yes, that was at my house, that it would have been a minor violation at best.  Nothing to the extent of post season ban or a firing offense.

He would also have been fine if he continued lying about it. See Jim Calhoun. Bruce's two biggest mistakes were lying and owning up to it. It's sad that this is the way things are, but the NCAA had the opportunity to make an example of him because he admitted to lying. They took full advantage of his guilty conscience.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 04:39:41 EST »

That's why I didn't say he was blacklisted for having the kid over for a BBQ; I said he was blacklisted for violation stemming from that. 

But, let's be honest: which more egregiously harms the integrity of college basketball . . . a coach like Pearl who lied about a minor violation, or a coach like Calipari?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 07:07:48 EST »

I think you nailed it.  I keep expecting him to move on yet again.  There really isn't anywhere else for him to go, other than the NBA.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: