VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 11:43:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Randy Sanders to FSU  (Read 9099 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:26 EST »

Wow.. So FSU has lost 5 coaches, hired a DC with zero experience, hired Sunseri, and hired Sanders.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:03:33 EST »

Wow.. So FSU has lost 5 coaches, hired a DC with zero experience, hired Sunseri, and hired Sanders.

I wonder why all the turnover? With all Their talent,They'll cruise to an ACC title

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
101stDad
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:58:16 EST »

Sanders is not a bad football coach.  He was just one of the scapegoats that Fulmer created to cover his own ass.   

Sanders' work with both QBs and WRs at UK was solid.  He also developed a very good reputation as a recruiter.  He was part of the recruitment of Powell's Dy'shawn Mobley, and I heard nothing but positives about him as a recruiter from Mobley and then Powell head coach Matt Lowe.

People tend to forget that Sanders was also the "primary" recruiter with Peyton Manning to UT, was well.  Cutcliffe tends to get the credit, but Sanders was the one who kindled that recruitment to the point that Cut could come in a seal the deal. 

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:28:24 EST »

Good coach and I hope he does very well there. Fulmer had him handcuffed. What role will he play any word on that?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:16:43 EST »

Sanders is not a bad football coach.  He was just one of the scapegoats that Fulmer created to cover his own ass.    

You know I hear this so much.  All I know is that I was reading a Kentucky message board during their game with USCe this year, and a Kentucky fan posted that his girlfriend had predicted the last 4 Wildcat plays in a row.  So let me ask you this, was Fulmer dialing in the plays to Sanders from his living room couch?  

Did Kentucky's offense ever do anything, anything at all, to make you think Sanders was a good OC?  He did the alternating QB thing this year, just like he did in 2004 (supposedly he talked Fulmer into it).  How well did that work in 2005?  How well did it work at UK this year?

All Sanders did at UT was do progressively worse on offense every year.  Cut came in and instantly fixed things.   If anything, Fulmer let the rot continue too long.   It's Fulmer's fault, but only because he did not act sooner.

As for him being hired by FSU...yeah, they just hired Sunseri also.   Nuff said!   I know, I know.  Blah blah blah.  Sunseri is a good position coach.  But whatever...Sanders and Sunseri together.  Something rotten is going on at FSU IMO, and they probably implode in a couple years.  ICBW, but should be fun to watch.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:19:59 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 05:18:27 EST »

Good coach and I hope he does very well there. Fulmer had him handcuffed. What role will he play any word on that?

Sanders will coach running backs at F$U. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:18:41 EST »

Bandit, Sanders is not a good OC.

He was an ok position coach IMO and not much more than that. That's what he will do at FSU

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:21:08 EST »

Bandit, Sanders is not a good OC.

He was an ok position coach IMO and not much more than that. That's what he will do at FSU

Pretty much what I think.  I was against him back in the day, may have overreacted in retrospect, but yeah, he was a mediocre OC at best.   I will say this, he would have been much better than Clawson in 2008.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:07 EST »

And BTW Nut, my comments about FSU are not because Sanders or ever Sunseri have been hired, I think they are decent position coaches.  It's because Fisher lost 5 assistants (a rather large number) and he has hired a couple guys whose prospects were not that great.  Either FSU likes saving money or Fisher is having a hard time finding ACs.  IMO. 

I suspect it predicts trouble in the future, but again, ICBW.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 05:29:26 EST »

And BTW Nut, my comments about FSU are not because Sanders or ever Sunseri have been hired, I think they are decent position coaches.  It's because Fisher lost 5 assistants (a rather large number) and he has hired a couple guys whose prospects were not that great.  Either FSU likes saving money or Fisher is having a hard time finding ACs.  IMO. 

I suspect it predicts trouble in the future, but again, ICBW.

yeah that proved to be a good indicator for where Dooley was headed. There's something up at FSU, that's not a program that coaches leave in waves unless something is wrong.

101stDad
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:02 EST »

You know I hear this so much.  All I know is that I was reading a Kentucky message board during their game with USCe this year, and a Kentucky fan posted that his girlfriend had predicted the last 4 Wildcat plays in a row.  So let me ask you this, was Fulmer dialing in the plays to Sanders from his living room couch?  

Did Kentucky's offense ever do anything, anything at all, to make you think Sanders was a good OC?  He did the alternating QB thing this year, just like he did in 2004 (supposedly he talked Fulmer into it).  How well did that work in 2005?  How well did it work at UK this year?

All Sanders did at UT was do progressively worse on offense every year.  Cut came in and instantly fixed things.   If anything, Fulmer let the rot continue too long.   It's Fulmer's fault, but only because he did not act sooner.

As for him being hired by FSU...yeah, they just hired Sunseri also.   Nuff said!   I know, I know.  Blah blah blah.  Sunseri is a good position coach.  But whatever...Sanders and Sunseri together.  Something rotten is going on at FSU IMO, and they probably implode in a couple years.  ICBW, but should be fun to watch.

Geez Louise.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:43:48 EST »

I think Sanders is a pretty good coach who gets a bit of a bum rap. Folks still talk about how terrible Dave Clawson was, except that he was great at Richmond and is in the process of turning around Bowling Green right now. Folks wanted to fire Chavis, and he's proven to be perhaps the best D.C. in the country at LSU. At some point you have to question how much the head coach kept his assistants under his thumb — at least I do.
101stDad
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 06:03:32 EST »

I think Sanders is a pretty good coach who gets a bit of a bum rap. Folks still talk about how terrible Dave Clawson was, except that he was great at Richmond and is in the process of turning around Bowling Green right now. Folks wanted to fire Chavis, and he's proven to be perhaps the best D.C. in the country at LSU. At some point you have to question how much the head coach kept his assistants under his thumb — at least I do.

Yes, but those who were University of Fulmer fans will never even consider that as a possibility. 

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:58 EST »

I said he was a good coach, didn't say a word about his play calling in the recent past. Although he did call a good MNC game where UT could have and should have scored twice more. He was a heck of a RB coach when Cut was the OC.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:09 EST »

I said he was a good coach, didn't say a word about his play calling in the recent past. Although he did call a good MNC game where UT could have and should have scored twice more. He was a heck of a RB coach when Cut was the OC.
I'd say a better RB coach tan QB coach
Just saying ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:25:08 EST »

I'd say a better RB coach tan QB coach
Just saying ...

Seems like the Kentucky fans are happy to be rid of Him

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 05:12:48 EST »

Sanders was a terrible OC for UT and was the reason Fulmer got fired overall..He should have never been put as OC when Coach Cut left at the end of '98..He was an old UT qb that tried to win games with the qb's arm instead of running the ball in obvious running plays..the UT offense in his last 2 yrs was near 108th in the country while Chavis had the defense in the top ten..Fulmer hung on to Sanders too long and after the S.C game in 2005 Sanders was fired..I was at that game..Our running backs were getting 6-7 yards per play but in the second half neither qb could hit the ocean and he kept calling passing plays..he was an ok position coach but ruined UT's offense as OC.When Coach Cut came back for one year things seemed better but the following year when Clawson took over it went back to terrible and the damage was done the previous years with Sanders and Fulmer got the boot
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:16:09 EST by crockettman » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 07:19:00 EST »

Well I was definitely not one who wanted to fire Chavis.  I considered him, and still do, a great DC with a couple flaws that every now and then bite him in the ass.  Really just two things.  Not pressuring enough in long distance situations and the same thing but worse at the very end of a game. 

As for Clawson, his performance speaks for itself.  But bringing in a guy to run a spread offense on short notice with players he didn't recruit....the problem was in the hiring not the guy.  But I am not convinced Clawson could cut it in the SEC no matter what players he had.  We will probably never find out.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:36 EST »

Geez Louise.   

Well, whatever you think of my post, I think you get the idea that I think the whole concept that Fulmer was "holding Sanders back" was and is something that comes out of the end of a horse. 

We can agree to disagree though.   

101stDad
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:18 EST »

Well, whatever you think of my post, I think you get the idea that I think the whole concept that Fulmer was "holding Sanders back" was and is something that comes out of the end of a horse. 

We can agree to disagree though.   

No, I simply see that argument as one of the UofF fans I was referring to who can't see reality for their love of Fulmer. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:30 EST »

No, I simply see that argument as one of the UofF fans I was referring to who can't see reality for their love of Fulmer. 

I'm so glad we got rid of that guy.  We're so much better off.

101stDad
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:04 EST »

I'm so glad we got rid of that guy.  We're so much better off.

Something else the UofF crowd loves to throw out there, again without actually thinking about where the program really was at that point in time.   

Firing Fulmer wasn't a mistake.  It was time. 

Hiring Kiffin, and then following that bad hire up with an even worse hire in Derek Dooley was the mistake. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 07:25:04 EST »

Something else the UofF crowd loves to throw out there, again without actually thinking about where the program really was at that point in time.   

Firing Fulmer wasn't a mistake.  It was time. 

Hiring Kiffin, and then following that bad hire up with an even worse hire in Derek Dooley was the mistake. 

Both sides have equally valid arguments, imo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: