VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 10:00:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you consider what TN needs to be bringing in to start contending  (Read 1788 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:47:22 EST »

in the SEC, I think a fair evaluation of this recruiting class would be a C. We didn't meet all our needs and we lost ground on the programs we need to be catching. It is a top 25 ranking, which is no disaster, but is firmly in the bottom half of the SEC as well. So yeah . . . C.

But in terms of the job Butch and staff did on this recruiting class, I give them a solid B. They didn't land any elite players (no 5*, anyway), which would have put them in the B+ to A range, but they inherited a poor effort by Dooley and a situation where top talent that should have been ours was completely ignored. They added several quality players at positions of need, and one could even make the argument that North and Dobbs were elite-level pickups despite the fact that neither was a 5*. Both of those guys are all Butch, as neither were on the radar when Dooley was here. Bell would have made the grade a B+.

So a level of disappointment is understandable, as this class is not everything we needed. But Butch & Co got off to a solid start here and picked up the pieces in an admirable fashion. Next year the pressure will really be on, and a couple of good wins would surely help.

I had to stop reading the commentary on Volnation and Feelslike98, where I read when I want an active and lively discussion, because the people there are completely insufferable. It seems 2/3 of them are bent on trashing the class and blaming it on Butch. I've rarely read a more reactionary bunch of bull on the internet, and that's saying something. If I were a UT recruit or one of these signees and I saw what people were saying about me on Volnation-- one of the most active UT forums on the web-- I would think twice about wanting to play in front of this fanbase. It's that bad and the idiots on that board should be embarrassed.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:04:48 EST »

Not 5 stars, but I think Marquez North and Josh Dobbs will be elite players. Jason Carr could also be one.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:05:33 EST »

Side note and question: I am intrigued by Dobbs since everyone raves about his smarts and his athleticism on film is better than his raw numbers would seem to indicate. But man, he's a skinny kid . . . anyone remember height and weight numbers for Manning when he was recruited? I know Tyler Bray was probably even skinnier than Dobbs.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:07:07 EST »

Side note and question: I am intrigued by Dobbs since everyone raves about his smarts and his athleticism on film is better than his raw numbers would seem to indicate. But man, he's a skinny kid . . . anyone remember height and weight numbers for Manning when he was recruited? I know Tyler Bray was probably even skinnier than Dobbs.

he reminds me of Tony Robinson in physique and ability. Of course he is much smarter than he is. Honestly, if you watch his film, you see a guy who has ability to be elite.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:39 EST »

Just watched his vid....he is more of a passer than a runner but has that ability. I know it was a highlight clip but he seemed to throw an accurate and catchable ball. Couldn't tell what kind of arm strength he has. The added dimension of having a mobile qb who can keep the chains moving with his feet is what we need right now. Need all the help we can muster to get a couple extra wins.

With no established wr's or qb coming back our guys will have to be able to beat press coverage as defenses will stack the box and make us throw. I suspect they will blitz the qb repeatedly until they show they can beat it. Defense will have to be better this year. The good news is there is no way it can get worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: