VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 03:14:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As I look at the last seven games, I think four are winnable  (Read 2404 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:18 EST »

in the sense that the teams are more or less even with us. We are up to #96 in KenPom and I think LSU (#114), A&M (#89), Georgia (#117), and Auburn (#143) are all beatable for us. Unfortunately three of those four are on the road so I doubt we win them all.

The other three games are at home, but the opponents are Kentucky (#18), Florida (#1), and Missouri (#25). I doubt we have much of a chance of winning any; optimistically you could MAYBE see beating either UK without Noel or Missouri, but either is still a very slim chance.

So I think we probably win 3 of the last 7, putting us at 16-14 (7-9 SEC) going into the SEC tourney. Any worse and the NIT starts to become questionable.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:22:12 EST »

Don't rely on those statistics too much. Tennessee is gonna beat UK in Knoxville. 
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:57 EST »

I agree...stats are great to look at but alot of times in sports, they don't always mean everything.  Case in point is that the "stats" wouldn't have said we would beat #1 kansas and #2 UK in 2010, or #3 Pitt in 2011 and then lose to Oakland and C of C, or sweep FL while Pearl was here.  Do I think we are good, no, but my point is, in this weak of a league, anyone can beat anyone on any given day.  Look at what has happened in conference play this year:

- Vandy gave UK fits in Nashville
- Florida got blown out at Arkansas
- A&M globbered UK at Rupp
- Missouri lost at LSU and at A&M, plus they are only ahead of UT by 2 games in the standings

Anything can happen in college basketball.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:06:10 EST »

I agree...stats are great to look at but alot of times in sports, they don't always mean everything.

You bet, but they're better predictors than anything else is. 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:32:03 EST »

Well it looks like we improved a fair amount in KenProm, which as you know, is much harder to do as the season wears on and the games pile up.  And some of that improvement is probably better play from Trae, back from injury, and consistency from Stokes, both of which are good things.  We might do a bit better than you think.

At the same time, you did a good job of establishing a minimum expectation.  If we can't at least win 4/7, then we truly suxes.

Final thought...we had a shot to beat UK in Lexington, so I think we can take them in Ktown.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:40:29 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:40 EST »

Well it looks like we improved a fair amount in KenProm, which as you know, is much harder to do as the season wears on and the games pile up.  And some of that improvement is probably better play from Trae, back from injury, and consistency from Stokes, both of which are good things.  We might do a bit better than you think.

At the same time, you did a good job of establishing a minimum expectation.  If we can't at least win 3/7, then we truly suxes.

Final thought...we had a shot to beat UK in Lexington, so I think we can take them in Ktown.   

If the officials had forgotten the game was being played in Rupp, UT would've won in Lexington.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:19 EST »

This team will have to win the SECT to get in the NCAA's and that ain't happening. We will be lucky not to be one and done in the SECT.

They were showing on the game last night that our defense has not been good in conference play. So if you can't score and your not that great on defense what can we expect?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: