VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:35:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McDonald's AA teams announced  (Read 2448 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:43:32 EST »

Our Robert Hubbs did not crack the list, but Calipari signed five McDonald's AA to his Kentucky team. http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/content/dam/allamerican/pdfs/2013FinalTeamRosters2.pdf

Two things:

One, Hubbs was snubbed. He was a top 24 player in three of the four main recruiting services (was 34th in ESPN) and should have made the roster.

Two, Calipari will continue putting his starting lineup together on the recruiting trail as long as the NBA draft eligibility rules remain as they are. He has proven an ability to get Top 10 recruits eligible to get into school, get them in classes that keep them eligible for the one semester of "academic" work they have to do to play in the spring, and get them ready for the NBA draft. He gives them a chance to play together as a high profile team and then make the jump. I don't blame a kid for wanting to play for him at this point because he's the best at what he does.

Now, what he does is horrible for collegiate athletics. The rule needs to be changed to the baseball rule (jump after high school or commit to three years in college). That would be better for amateurism, better for making coaches accountable for academics, and better for the kids (like Nerlens Noel) who are forced into college and don't need or want to be there.

I give Calipari credit in two ways: (1) He has cultivated his reputation of working with top young talent to the point where I don't think he even has to break rules anymore. I think he has in the past, but at this point his reputation and history draw the top recruits to him. (2) He is probably the best in the business at getting young kids with huge egos to actually play hard and as a team with a short amount of practice time. His teams play hard defense, which tends to not be a defining characteristic of young elite players.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:45:10 EST by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:57:28 EST »

Calipari doesn't give two shizzles about the integrity of collegiate athletics. He's in it to win and get guys into the NBA, and he openly states that.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19:34 EST »

Calipari doesn't give two shizzles about the integrity of collegiate athletics. He's in it to win and get guys into the NBA, and he openly states that.

Of course he doesn't and the rules enable him. I very badly want to see the rules changed because I think it's been horrible for college basketball.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:06:45 EST »

Ironically, it's the injury to one of Cal's own players that seems to have reignited the discussion re: the NBA's one-and-done rule.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:09:04 EST »

Of course he doesn't and the rules enable him. I very badly want to see the rules changed because I think it's been horrible for college basketball.

yeah I am with you. When one program can sign 25% of all the 5 stars incoming, it becomes all about money.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:54:57 EST »

What about World Wide Wes and Nike?  They have nothing to do with his success? 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 05:56:57 EST »

What about World Wide Wes and Nike?  They have nothing to do with his success? 

I think they were crucial in him building his recruiting machine, and that his relationship with Wes was certainly dirty. But at this point I don't think he really needs much help anymore.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: