VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 11:30:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your fav beach in Florida?  (Read 18116 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:17 EST »

Looking for a change of scenery this year maybe, as opposed to our yearly week in Myrtle Beach.  We used to go to Daytona, Ormond, and Vero beach when I was a kid but I have no idea what those beaches are like these days.  Thoughts?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:22 EST »

Destin for a regular vacation spot

Sanibel Island for something unique.

You want to stay on the gulf side.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:38 EST »

Used to be Destin when we were stationed at Mother Rucker in AL, but haven't been there in years, so I don't know what it looks like now.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:08 EST »

Went to Daytona the week before the UF game in 2011.  It's not what it used to be, but I'm not picky.  A beach is a beach, IYAM.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:47 EST »

There's no real beach but I liked Islamorada and loved Key West. I could live in Key West. And I'm not even gay.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:27:44 EST »

There's no real beach but I liked Islamorada and loved Key West. I could live in Key West. And I'm not even gay.

Drink enough wine and your happy tho!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:03 EST »

I prefer the Gulf side, but Panama City Beach is my absolute favorite because it's cheaper than Destin and some of the others without sacrificing much.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:25 EST »

Looking for a change of scenery this year maybe, as opposed to our yearly week in Myrtle Beach.  We used to go to Daytona, Ormond, and Vero beach when I was a kid but I have no idea what those beaches are like these days.  Thoughts?

Panama City is a great experience as well and you can go east to appalachicola and get some great oysters as well.   All along the Florida Panhandle Gulf Coast is great area ot stay in.  I would also recommend trying Hilton Head area if you want a new SC experience rather than Myrtle Beach.  Hilton Head actually has better golf than Myrtle.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

10EC
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:23 EST »

Looking for a change of scenery this year maybe, as opposed to our yearly week in Myrtle Beach.  We used to go to Daytona, Ormond, and Vero beach when I was a kid but I have no idea what those beaches are like these days.  Thoughts?

I like Miramar which is a little East of Destin but any beach from Panama City to Fort Walton is nice.  White sands and emerald green waters...  No shells though....  And seaweed/algea comes and goes....

Use VRBO.com to find a nice place....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:30:30 EST by 10EC » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:15 EST »

Key West is awesome, but yes, even more awesome if one is gay

101stDad
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:27 EST »

Guess I am one of those rare folks who like the East coast of Florida better than the Gulf side. 

We are particularly fond of the Space Coast area, Melbourne Beach to be exact.  It's still fairly quiet and not as commercially infested as a lot of the more "tourist" oriented beaches are. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:24 EST »

Thanks guys for the responses.  Having never been to the Gulf side, that intrigues me.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:46 EST »

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:36:13 EST »

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:39 EST »

Thanks guys for the responses.  Having never been to the Gulf side, that intrigues me.

Gulf side has white sand, less crowds (other than Panama city), and calmer waters. I just like it more.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 01:41:53 EST »

You've got some good choices on both coasts, but I recommend against Daytona. Ormond is much nicer but there's less to do without going to Daytona. After living in Ormond and working in Daytona I'd say neither is really a great beach destination.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 03:19:39 EST »

I like Miramar which is a little East of Destin but any beach from Panama City to Fort Walton is nice.  White sands and emerald green waters...  No shells though....  And seaweed/algea comes and goes....

Use VRBO.com to find a nice place....

My brother has a condo in Miramar -- really beautiful -- across the street from the beach and the balacony overlooks the ocean....it is not blocked by anything on the beach itself.  Love it down there!

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:53:50 EST »

Since we're just a few hours away, we go to the panhandle several times a year. White sand and beautiful green water. My favorites include Destin--probably the best water and Orange Beach, Al--big high rises, and great places to stay. Both have great beaches. One area that is my very favorite is Seaside (where the Jim Carrey film "The Truman Show" was filmed) and next to that beach is another great area in Sea Grove. These are much smaller communities than Orange Beach, but that's one of their best attributes in my opinion. You're located between Destin and Panama City and can easily drive to either for a visit or dinner. Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:57:20 EST by BGHarper » Logged
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 05:16:32 EST »

I went to Marco Island last year and loved it!  It is on the southwest side of FL, along the gulf, and is only about 30 minutes from Fort Meyers.
101stDad
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:33 EST »

And to add - I like some areas of the Gulf, as well.  Panama City Beach at off season (September) is really quiet and you can get in to pretty much anywhere without a wait, and it is nice.  During the season, however, it's hard to get anywhere.   Destin has been mentioned  Hard to go wrong there.  The new Margaritaville Hotel ( http://www.margaritavillehotel.com/ ) in Pensacola is very nice.  My wife and I did a long weekend there and loved it. 

My favorite Gulf area is the Marco Island area, but it's a long way down there from East Tennessee if you are driving. 

My advice is to avoid the St. Pete/Clearwater area.  Very crowded, and an older area.  Hard go get around because of the volume of traffic year round. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 06:51:09 EST »

When I first started going to Destin it was a small fishing town....Boy has times changed. Our kids have been grown and married for several years now so me and the wife go to Destin in October. IMO that's the best time to go.

Another place that's nice and not nearly the crowds durning the tourist season is Mexico Beach which is East of Panama City...Very, very nice.

I have family that lives in Ft. Lauderdale FL and the beaches there are not nearly as good as the Gulf side. I lived in Jacksonville for several years and St. Augustine and I just never cared for the Atlantic side very much....If I had to pick one beach I cared for on the Atlantic side it would be New Smyrna beach.

If you are ever in the Keys go to Sombrero beach in Marathon Key....We've been there several times and IMO it's the best beach in the Keys.
101stDad
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 07:02:57 EST »

When I first started going to Destin it was a small fishing town....Boy has times changed. Our kids have been grown and married for several years now so me and the wife go to Destin in October. IMO that's the best time to go.

Another place that's nice and not nearly the crowds durning the tourist season is Mexico Beach which is East of Panama City...Very, very nice.

I have family that lives in Ft. Lauderdale FL and the beaches there are not nearly as good as the Gulf side. I lived in Jacksonville for several years and St. Augustine and I just never cared for the Atlantic side very much....If I had to pick one beach I cared for on the Atlantic side it would be New Smyrna beach.

If you are ever in the Keys go to Sombrero beach in Marathon Key....We've been there several times and IMO it's the best beach in the Keys.

Phil!  You finally passed the super secret security clearance to post at VTTW!  It's about time.

I can vouch for Tnphil.  He's a good guy. 

Of course, to some my endorsement may be the kiss of death.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 07:13:44 EST »

Thanks Dad!!! Many moons ago I served many years in the U.S. Navy....I can tell you it was easier to hijack a nuclear aircraft carrier than to finally get registered on this VTTW site!!

I'm truly honored
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:49 EST »

Welcome Phil. Are you another member of the Powell Mafia?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 12:30:17 EST »

Welcome Phil. Are you another member of the Powell Mafia?

Thanks!!!

No....I hold down the West part of Tn. I'm a flatlander!! I know 101stDad from TOS...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: