VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 02:50:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about Charleston, SC as a vacation spot?  (Read 3781 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:35:44 EST »

I'm still brainstorming, but you can tell I'm ready for vacation. 

My Mom has always talked about visiting Charleston and I'd love to take them.  But I've never been.  Those who have, thoughts? Any tips?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:55 EST »

Charleston is an excellent destination.  We are thinking of going there later this year.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:15:10 EST »

Charleston is a great place. Lots to see and do but there's no theme park Disney-type things. You can stay in Charleston or on one of the barrier islands with a beach. I noted this previously.

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=27299.msg132898#msg132898
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:54 EST »

Charleston........ love it, love it, love it! 
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:04:31 EST »

Me and my wife went there for our honeymoon. It isn't like Myrtle Beach. Charleston has a lot of history. We enjoyed seeing Fort Sumpter. We went to the Aquarium. We went to the Birds of Prey. We took a carriage ride around town. We went Kayaking at Shem Creek.  We went on a house tour around the battery. We also rode bikes there. 

When it comes to eating out I loved Hominy Grill,California Dreaming and Gilligans Seafood House.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:56:50 EST »

Great place to visit, especially if you're a history nut such as I. Some great old places from the late 18th and early 19th century have been redone and are avaliable for accomodations. If history is your thing, you'll really like Charleston as you would Williamsburg, Va. which is completely awesome to me since my favorite historical time in the US is the 1700's. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:10 EST »

visit some of the haunted plantations
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:40 EST »

I'm still brainstorming, but you can tell I'm ready for vacation. 

My Mom has always talked about visiting Charleston and I'd love to take them.  But I've never been.  Those who have, thoughts? Any tips?

Charleston and that area is a wonderful place.  You can go and stay on any of the islands around Charleston and get into the city for dinner and shopping and touristing very easily.  Isle of Palms is a wonderful place ot stay and be about 30 minutes form downtown.  I will tell oyu that if you go to Charleston then you should go to The Charleston Grill and take your credit cards and enjoy one fabulouos meal there.  Also try Magnolias (but get a reservation or you will not get in.)  Magnolias has fabulous food but it is a little bit pricey.  You can go downtown Charleston and try one of the other popular places but some of them are just tourist restaurants and Southern Living marks of approvals are not the mark of true country cooking. 
THere are may fine restaurants all around the Isle of Palms area also. 

But if you go do NOT stay downtown in Old Charleston you are getting ripped off for the charm!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:19:13 EST »

They have an awesome spring festival just before the Masters I do believe. No relation to the events just as a timing reference. Spring is popping in a few weeks down there. :-)
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:02:05 EST »

I married a girl from Charleston and I also lived there for a couple of years. My in-laws were there, so I've been down there a lot. It is a great town. It has old southern charm, great food and several nice beaches. I've been in a lot of the old homes there and the architecture is fabulous. There is plenty to see and do. I think all of you would love visiting there.

I would suggest visiting the Citadel; the Yorktown; Middleton Place (the drive up 61 is gorgous with the overhanging trees with and Spanish moss); the old slave market; and be sure to eat at Jestine's on Meeting Street across from the fire hall.

While living there, I did some part-time limo driving and some of the visiters I handled were the cast & crew of Good Morning America and the father and step-mother of Princess Diana. It would surprise you to know the number of VIP's who have homes in the area. Heck, even the Johnny Walker big-wigs loved the place during the Ryder Cup at Kiawah (until Langer missed the 6 footer on 18).

If you go to Charleston, I'd be willing to bet you will want to return.

G
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:58 EST »

When I win the HGTV Home giveaway on Kiawah which will be announced in March.... I will invite all you folks over for my house warming party!

Donations will be appreciated to help pay my taxes and insurance I won't be able to afford 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: