VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 05:32:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This week is the last Reunion of Doolittle's Raiders, only four are left and it  (Read 1808 times)
PanhandleVol
All-American

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:21 EDT »

has been decided that this will be the last reunion and it is being held here in Fort Walton Beach, Florida where it all started. Pirate Vol will remember where "Doolittle" is located on Hurlburt Field. Over the years I have helped out with many of the reunions when they were held here. Getting to know them, then hearing of each one pass away over the years was probably on the of the most significant events in my life. Want to meet a hero? Meet a Doolittle Raider. Taking a flight with them in a B-25 several years ago was such thrill. Only 3 will attend the reunion and they will have a private ceremony to finish off the bottle of Hennessy Gen. Doolittle bought for them. Many times I have asked them why 80 men would take on a suicide mission. As corny as it sounds the answer is almost always "It was my job and the country needed us." They have been my heros since I was a kid and they are now. Say a prayer for them and thank you for there duty.

Quasi EVol
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:00:05 EDT »

I saw that on the news last week.  It's amazing how they thought they were probably throwing their lives away & still fought at the chance to make the cut.  Their cojones must be the size of cantaloupe!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:43:01 EDT »

That is awesome. I hope they get to enjoy themselves one more time. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:40:55 EDT »

Great story!!

Having my old Navy squadron reunion in Oct. in Jacksonville FL. Can't wait to see some old buddies 
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:27:23 EDT »

It takes an incredible amount of courage to willing take on a mission knowing that your chances of returning are at the very minimum. They would say that they are not heroes, and that the heroes are the ones that lost their lives in that War. The reality is that ANYONE that was in live combat and served period are heroes. If it were not for that Greatest Generation the world as we know it would be much different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: