VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 07:32:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallenda has stones of steel...........  (Read 4068 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:01:31 EDT »

.......or a brain of mush. He just walked a highwire across the Grand Canyon. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:22:15 EDT »

I'll take idiots for $500 please Alex. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:36:46 EDT »

I'll take idiots for $500 please Alex. 

Agreed. The stones to which doner refers are rattling around in the dude's empty head.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:01:31 EDT »

For his next feat he wants to walk between the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:45:39 EDT »

Didn't his grandfather die falling off a high wire?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 02:57:24 EDT »

Didn't his grandfather die falling off a high wire?

He did, and I saw part of the live recording that showed him fall which was disturbing.  There have been other family members die too.

All this said, I don't see it as idiotic or stupid.  This is in their blood, a part of their DNA.  It's what they do.  I guess I have tons of respect for them more than anything.  I wouldn't do it nor would I want any of my loved ones to do it, but I just have to tip my cap to someone so seemingly fearless and so daring.
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:03:05 EDT »

Wasn't it his wife's grandfather who died? Walking across Niagra Falls with a safety cable attached would be way more than enough to make me wet my pants. But walking the Grand Canyon WITHOUT it? Um...no. I would pass out.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:17:58 EDT »

He did, and I saw part of the live recording that showed him fall which was disturbing.  There have been other family members die too.

All this said, I don't see it as idiotic or stupid.  This is in their blood, a part of their DNA.  It's what they do.  I guess I have tons of respect for them more than anything.  I wouldn't do it nor would I want any of my loved ones to do it, but I just have to tip my cap to someone so seemingly fearless and so daring.

My problem is that it's possible for "fearless and daring" to be a profession without the results having any demonstrable good or purpose. I get that it's entertainment, but I don't see why. I'm not seeing the draw, and don't understand why this guy got so much attention. I wasn't hoping that he would fall or anything, but I just could not have given less of a shizzle about some guy doing a stunt. I can think of a large number of difficult and dangerous pursuits one could engage in if that's truly in their blood . . .  with outcomes more significant than getting to the other side.

Was what he did difficult? Sure, and there's significant physical and psychological skill involved. That doesn't give it any value, IMO, and to put your life at such great risk for something that has no value does seem idiotic to me.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:21 EDT »

My problem is that it's possible for "fearless and daring" to be a profession without the results having any demonstrable good or purpose. I get that it's entertainment, but I don't see why. I'm not seeing the draw, and don't understand why this guy got so much attention. I wasn't hoping that he would fall or anything, but I just could not have given less of a shizzle about some guy doing a stunt. I can think of a large number of difficult and dangerous pursuits one could engage in if that's truly in their blood . . .  with outcomes more significant than getting to the other side.

Was what he did difficult? Sure, and there's significant physical and psychological skill involved. That doesn't give it any value, IMO, and to put your life at such great risk for something that has no value does seem idiotic to me.

Yeah, I agree on your "what's the point?" view on it.  Then again, there's things a lot of people do that I don't get.  C'est la vie, I guess.   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:51:50 EDT »

Yeah, I agree on your "what's the point?" view on it.  Then again, there's things a lot of people do that I don't get.  C'est la vie, I guess.   

Yeah. I stopped getting riled up about what entertains people awhile back . . . people are free to seek whatever entertainment (or to do what it takes to entertain) does it for them. So from that perspective this is just one more thing-- one more People, Us, TMZ, reality show, etc. People watch Ancient Aliens, for crying out loud.

What pushes this beyond is the risk. Man, I would never put my life on the line just to get to the other side of something (there's a chicken crossing the road joke in here somewhere) even if people think there is entertainment value. I'm also not impressed by people that do. But like you say, ce'st la vie.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:39 EDT »

I didn't watch. I saw part of the Niagra Falls walk and it bored me to tears. I had no interest in this event. But from where I'm standing, if some dude wants to risk his life by walking a wire, who cares? It's his life. I'm sure there are people who would say that skydiving is too risky and only idiots try it. Or that rock climbing and rappelling are too risky. And I know there are a few poor, misguided souls who think tackle football should be banned.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:09:10 EDT »

If this guy is a real daredevil, let him ride with me to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: