VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 08:46:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New unis unveiled tomorrow, it would seem  (Read 21134 times)
Creek Walker
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 06:06:32 EDT »

I like the gray uniform from the VQ photo.  The Adidas photo release I am not liking as much.  Hopefully it will look better in person.  Whatever gets the recruits to turn this program around I will support.

Adidas carefully models their photo releases to highlight the tech-fit aspect of the jerseys. To me those pictures look unnatural.
Creek Walker
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 06:09:35 EDT »

More from Adidas. Digging the gloves. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CeBlMaH9y50" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/CeBlMaH9y50</a>
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 06:15:01 EDT »

I like the gray uniform from the VQ photo.  The Adidas photo release I am not liking as much.  Hopefully it will look better in person.  Whatever gets the recruits to turn this program around I will support.

The color is off. It almost looks blue/green instead of gray. I think adidas played with the color/saturation and that's why it looks iffy.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 06:19:12 EDT »

I'll be honest: I grow weary of the "it's for the recruits" argument. No it isn't. They may be 18-year-old kids but they aren't THAT shallow. Let's give them a little bit of credit. What did the black jerseys in '09 due for recruiting? Very little. Meanwhile, schools like Alabama and Southern Cal stay very true to their traditional team look and they have zero problems drawing in recruits. Recruits want to go somewhere that will enable them to win championships, receive national recognition and have an opportunity to play in the NFL. Anything else is gravy.

I like the gray uniforms a lot better than I liked the black uniforms, in no small part because gray is an official (if seldom used) color of the university. But I just don't buy into the theory that it helps with recruiting.

It's not the uni itself that sells recruits on UT. It's what it says about the coaching staff. Whether we like it or not, players really do . . . and the coaches' willingness to allow them that is attractive to recruits.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 06:19:52 EDT »

See, to me the helmet is sacred and I don't want it changed so in that aspect maybe I'm somewhat of a traditionalist.  However, I also don't think the black jerseys we wore a few years ago looked right with the orange pants and the helmet having no black whatsoever so I'm kind of torn.  I think if it's tastefully done, and IMO these gray uni's are, it can look nice with the helmets as is.

I like our traditional helmet, but it does seem to clash with the gray uni's to me.  I'm an ultra traditionalist though, and would prefer black instead of gray since from 1911 to 1920 black was the primary color for Tennessee football jerseys.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 06:29:52 EDT »

I can stand them. Heck I might even like them if they win a game while wearing them.

It will be a big flame out to wear a new uni and lose though.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 06:30:25 EDT »

It's not the uni itself that sells recruits on UT. It's what it says about the coaching staff. Whether we like it or not, players really do . . . and the coaches' willingness to allow them that is attractive to recruits.

According to Butch, it matters to recruits. Jones told Volquest in the story published this morning that recruiting considerations drove the move to add an alternate uniform.
"If you had to put a top-10 list that the prospective student-athletes ask you, in the top three would be uniforms," he said.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/aug/15/vols-new-alternative-football-uniform-add-smokey-s/

Perhaps that shows the insignificant (to us) things kids are interested in, but it's the new reality.

It's those danged young whippersnappers. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 06:37:21 EDT »

According to Butch, it matters to recruits. Jones told Volquest in the story published this morning that recruiting considerations drove the move to add an alternate uniform.
"If you had to put a top-10 list that the prospective student-athletes ask you, in the top three would be uniforms," he said.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/aug/15/vols-new-alternative-football-uniform-add-smokey-s/

Perhaps that shows the insignificant (to us) things kids are interested in, but it's the new reality.

It's those danged young whippersnappers. 

Hard not to take Butch's word for it.  He seems to know what he's doing at this time.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:03 EDT »

I laughed at this tweet:

"NCAA14 better have these ready for download by the time I get off work!"
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 07:22:14 EDT »

Butch said uniforms are in the top 3 questions recruits ask.   Now I agree with you that a final decision would not likely be influenced by the answer to that question, but I do think an early decision might be influenced by it.  Call me cynical, but I do believe a portion of the recruiting base is definitely that shallow.  As long as the question is in the top 3, then I like for Butch to have an answer.

I'll be honest: I grow weary of the "it's for the recruits" argument. No it isn't. They may be 18-year-old kids but they aren't THAT shallow. Let's give them a little bit of credit. What did the black jerseys in '09 due for recruiting? Very little. Meanwhile, schools like Alabama and Southern Cal stay very true to their traditional team look and they have zero problems drawing in recruits. Recruits want to go somewhere that will enable them to win championships, receive national recognition and have an opportunity to play in the NFL. Anything else is gravy.

I like the gray uniforms a lot better than I liked the black uniforms, in no small part because gray is an official (if seldom used) color of the university. But I just don't buy into the theory that it helps with recruiting.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 07:38:23 EDT »

Coach Jones disagrees with you.

And it's not about being shallow.

Creek Walker
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:06 EDT »

Coach Jones disagrees with you.

Lots of people disagree with me and I disagree with lots of people. Including Coach Jones. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 08:21:41 EDT »

Something else, if you look at this photo from UT's promo video, it looks like orange-on-orange is going to make a reappearance at some point this season, along with some other combos:

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:26 EDT »

there are 5 combos
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:46 EDT »

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:36 EDT »

Love em.

No black outline on the road jerseys makes pleases me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:18:08 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:06 EDT »

Lots of pics here.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081513aah.html

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:18 EDT »

Looks good to me.  
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 09:24:20 EDT »

The gray/orange cleats are next level!!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 09:26:24 EDT »

Here it is...  "Smokey"

I love it!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:49 EDT »

Rob Lewis (@Volquest_Rob) tweeted at 3:25 PM on Thu, Aug 15, 2013:
Butch Jones: 'My phone has blown up today with recruits from all over the country who love the new uniforms.'

He also says the gray unis will be worn in one game, which game that is is unknown.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:13 EDT »

Rob Lewis (@Volquest_Rob) tweeted at 3:30 PM on Thu, Aug 15, 2013:
Butch, 'We're not going to be  program that's all over the place with its uniforms
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 09:39:48 EDT »

Creek Walker
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 10:36:39 EDT »

Rob Lewis (@Volquest_Rob) tweeted at 3:30 PM on Thu, Aug 15, 2013:
Butch, 'We're not going to be  program that's all over the place with its uniforms

That's what I wanted to hear. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:48 EDT »

Like the new website: www.risetothetop.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: