VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 02:52:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New unis unveiled tomorrow, it would seem  (Read 21132 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:15:45 EDT »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSudHnJUwQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWOSudHnJUwQ

Whoever is doing these promo vids knows what they're doing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:19:06 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:14:22 EDT »

It must be some crazy "alternative" uniform.  I doubt they'd go to that much trouble to hype the minor tweaks to the regular unis that we already know about.   

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:18:53 EDT »

It must be some crazy "alternative" uniform.  I doubt they'd go to that much trouble to hype the minor tweaks to the regular unis that we already know about.  

It's sounding pretty likely that there will be an alternate for Oregon, probably gray, and possibly an alternate for a home game as well. I have no idea what they're revealing today though.

I swear our fanbase's obsession with the uniforms beats all I've ever seen. I've read at least two dozen fans in the last 24 hours basically saying they'd stop supporting the program if X is done to the uniforms. Fine by me. GTFO and you won't be missed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:25:59 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:27:34 EDT »

It's sounding pretty likely that there will be an alternate for Oregon, probably gray, and possibly an alternate for a home game as well. I have no idea what they're revealing today though.

I swear our fanbase's obsession with the uniforms beats all I've ever seen. I've read at least two dozen fans in the last 24 hours basically saying they'd stop supporting the program if X is done to the uniforms. Fine by me. GTFO and you won't be missed.

Fanship based on uni design? Preposterous! I'm with you....I hope they don't let the door hit 'em on their way out.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:14:36 EDT »

Clearly, anyone who abandons ship over uniforms was never a true fan to start with. And when it comes right down to it, no one is going to abandon ship over uniform changes. They're just engaging their mouths before their brains kick in.

With that said, I'm wholeheartedly against wholesale uniform changes. Some tweaking, within reason, I don't mind. But there are some traditions that just shouldn't be messed with and, IMO, monkeying with the uniform design should be done carefully and sparsely. If some of the rumors are true that we're going to have two completely different alternative uniforms this year, I don't really like it. Because, IMO, that sends us down a road similar to Oregon and a lot of other college teams that have gone overboard with this stuff. I think you can make a strong argument that uniform changes haven't helped a single program sell itself. And obviously Alabama is a strong case-in-point for the argument of why adhering strictly to tradition still works.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:19:41 EDT »

I think you can make a strong argument that uniform changes haven't helped a single program sell itself.

I think you can make a strong argument that Oregon, Nike connections or no, didn't start getting the kind of national attention they get now until they started in with the uniforms. I think it's made a HUGE difference for their football program.

Now, I don't want to go full-Oregon with uniforms but I think there's zero reason to worry about that. If we wear an alternate twice a year-- once at home and once on the road-- I see no negative whatsoever.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:28:26 EDT »

I think you can make a strong argument that Oregon, Nike connections or no, didn't start getting the kind of national attention they get now until they started in with the uniforms. I think it's made a HUGE difference for their football program.

Now, I don't want to go full-Oregon with uniforms but I think there's zero reason to worry about that. If we wear an alternate twice a year-- once at home and once on the road-- I see no negative whatsoever.

Oregon didn't have a national brand like a lot of the other teams that have tried to monkey with their uniforms . . . and like Tennessee. Teams like Tennessee and Notre Dame and Virginia Tech shouldn't need gimmicks to market themselves. If we're so desperate that we have to try to change who we are to turn heads, we've got a problem that Butch Jones and Dave Hart aren't going to be able to fix. (I don't think we have such a problem, I'm just saying.)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:34:06 EDT »

This explains the color schemes for UT. I think.

http://communications.utk.edu/branding/palette.php
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 04:36:02 EDT »

Oregon didn't have a national brand like a lot of the other teams that have tried to monkey with their uniforms . . . and like Tennessee. Teams like Tennessee and Notre Dame and Virginia Tech shouldn't need gimmicks to market themselves. If we're so desperate that we have to try to change who we are to turn heads, we've got a problem that Butch Jones and Dave Hart aren't going to be able to fix. (I don't think we have such a problem, I'm just saying.)

I don't think special unis are any indication that anyone thinks we have a serious problem. It's fun for the current players, and in turn that makes us more attractive for recruits. I think you read too much into it.

Also, regarding traditions . . . I think Butch has done as well as any UT coach I can remember at respecting traditions and instilling respect for them within his team. A gray uni doesn't take away from that, IMO.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:19 EDT »

Alternative jazzy uniforms do help recruiting and adds some excitement. Yes, ultimately the play on the field is what counts, but go back and see how excited we were as a team and fandom when we came out in black unis for SCe in 2009. I'm all for the change...which appears to be a dark gray alternative.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 04:44:35 EDT »

Oh my. Pics posted on VQ. fizzleing fantastic IMO.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 04:47:58 EDT »

Oh my. Pics posted on VQ. fizzleing fantastic IMO.

Saw them. I love it. I wish we'd wear them more than just one game though

eVOLved
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 04:50:43 EDT »

Here it is...  "Smokey"

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 04:54:03 EDT »

well, I didn't want to post it because that's an exclusive VQ pic....

Maggitt looks like a beast btw

eVOLved
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 04:56:17 EDT »

When it goes to the twitter-verse, it become fair game.
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 05:07:02 EDT »

I'm okay with one alternative uniform game a year. It's when we start 2+ games that I get my dander up.

I don't hate the smokey gray look. Again, just as long as it's a single game.

I think I'd like them better if the helmets were a matte gray instead of white.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:12:06 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 05:30:40 EDT »

UGH!! Hate hate hate black (or grey) unis.....always have, always will.   picture on Facebook

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 05:38:02 EDT »

based on twitter responses, recruits love it. THAT is what it's about

Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 05:43:28 EDT »

I'll be honest: I grow weary of the "it's for the recruits" argument. No it isn't. They may be 18-year-old kids but they aren't THAT shallow. Let's give them a little bit of credit. What did the black jerseys in '09 due for recruiting? Very little. Meanwhile, schools like Alabama and Southern Cal stay very true to their traditional team look and they have zero problems drawing in recruits. Recruits want to go somewhere that will enable them to win championships, receive national recognition and have an opportunity to play in the NFL. Anything else is gravy.

I like the gray uniforms a lot better than I liked the black uniforms, in no small part because gray is an official (if seldom used) color of the university. But I just don't buy into the theory that it helps with recruiting.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:34 EDT »

I love em.  At this point I'm riding with Butch and his vision until I have a reason not to.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 05:49:07 EDT »

Another look just tweeted by Adidas.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:50 EDT »

Another look just tweeted by Adidas.

Wow!!!!!   
Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 05:54:04 EDT »

The gray is growing on me. I would change the helmets to a matte gray and the sleeves to gray (but my wife would be the first to tell you that I'm no stylist), but I like the jerseys and the pants a lot. Still just want to see them one game, though.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 05:58:07 EDT »

The gray is growing on me. I would change the helmets to a matte gray and the sleeves to gray (but my wife would be the first to tell you that I'm no stylist), but I like the jerseys and the pants a lot. Still just want to see them one game, though.

See, to me the helmet is sacred and I don't want it changed so in that aspect maybe I'm somewhat of a traditionalist.  However, I also don't think the black jerseys we wore a few years ago looked right with the orange pants and the helmet having no black whatsoever so I'm kind of torn.  I think if it's tastefully done, and IMO these gray uni's are, it can look nice with the helmets as is.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 06:00:12 EDT »

I like the gray uniform from the VQ photo.  The Adidas photo release I am not liking as much.  Hopefully it will look better in person.  Whatever gets the recruits to turn this program around I will support.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: