VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 03:01:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How good is this UT football team?...  (Read 4735 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:02:52 EDT »

Who the heck knows? I don't when they have played a more overmatched opponent.

But they beat them like they should have. 

So on to the next game. Western Kentucky should be a considerably tougher opponent.
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:13:49 EDT »

Even though it was backups in the game for the second half...we only scored 3 pts. Worley was not particularly accurate and his receivers had to make some good catches. His timing wasnt great and missed some open guys. Not very mobile either. I dont think we know yet either but we did do some good things. Liked the running game.

volpride
Walk-On

Give.Him.Six

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 05:14:42 EDT »

Granted 45-0 looks great and warms our hearts, we have to be realistic and realize the test is yet to come. Next week will be a better gauge, but we all know we'll see how we truly stack up against Oregon. That's the first real test. With that being said, a win is a win and it's always a good feeling. GO VOLS!

"The hardest moments are a call to something greater"
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 05:19:24 EDT »

Our starters are relatively solid, I think.  However, the dropoff with the second stringers seemed shockingly obvious.  Glad they got plenty of PT, but honestly our 2nd stringers shouldn't have struggled against AP.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 05:22:37 EDT »

Our starters are relatively solid, I think.  However, the dropoff with the second stringers seemed shockingly obvious.  Glad they got plenty of PT, but honestly our 2nd stringers shouldn't have struggled against AP.   

That was the most frustrating half of football I've watched in a while. It's one thing to talk about lack of depth and another to see it in action. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:29:47 EDT »

That was the most frustrating half of football I've watched in a while. It's one thing to talk about lack of depth and another to see it in action. 

Don't get me wrong, it was great being up 45-0 and I'm sure there's tons of value in getting as many backups as much PT as possible...

but that second half was awful.  Just awful.  Were we just not showing any offense?  I kept thinking, "I know in my heart it's more complicated than it looks.." but Peterman was running the same flipping hand off for two complete halves of football.   
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:04:16 EDT »

Is Peterman really the 2nd best out of the 4 QBs? Let's all pray for Worley's safety.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 06:08:18 EDT »

Didn't show a lot on offense or defense...didn't have to.

When you have your complete 2nd team unit on the field it's going to be a drop off. Same can be said in a NFL preseason game...big drop off there too most of the time.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:10:18 EDT »

That's true to a point, but Tennessee's second units were frighteningly bad. I don't think anyone understands just how bad this APSU team that Tennessee played tonight really is. They're a terrible, terrible football team. Even though our second half offense was mostly vanilla, there's just no excuse for our 2s to not be able to move the ball successfully against APSU's 1s on defense.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 06:18:18 EDT »

That's true to a point, but Tennessee's second units were frighteningly bad. I don't think anyone understands just how bad this APSU team that Tennessee played tonight really is. They're a terrible, terrible football team. Even though our second half offense was mostly vanilla, there's just no excuse for our 2s to not be able to move the ball successfully against APSU's 1s on defense.

Yep.  I'm really bothered by how much our second unit struggled against AP.  I'm thrilled with the win, but that really bothers me.  When our first secondary unit needs a rest or heaven forbid injuries occur.. THAT will be the secondary we roll out?  Just let it set in.  That 2nd string is going to play against Oregon and Bama.  Geez, I just hope they don't get hurt.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:44:37 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 07:15:33 EDT »

second unit OL was the big issue

Peterman also is not good yet at the zone read. He looked confused, and made bad reads several times.

I did like what I saw if Malik Foreman and Jaylen Miller
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 01:45:06 EDT »

We didn't learn anything, except we have no depth at all. I was not impressed at all. WKU looked a lot better than we did. Unless we get markedly better we will not bowl this year either.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 04:19:53 EDT »

AGREE 100%......SAID the same thing at the tailgate...just before the monsoon came in.

Is Peterman really the 2nd best out of the 4 QBs? Let's all pray for Worley's safety.
Yep...Peterman just looked horrible...on his passes, same as the spring game...held...held...held the ball all the way to the sack.

Go Big Orange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: