VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:24:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Un-damn-believable  (Read 4823 times)
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:55:04 EDT »

It's going to be a long, long year..again.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:57:32 EDT »

It's going to be a long, long year..again.

We'll have to see how/whether Coach Jones makes changes for the 2nd half.  Dooley never did, so let's see whether that has changed.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:02:11 EDT »

Yep. We are going to have to do something to get some offense going.

I am not a big fan of this type of offense anyway, but I could learn to like it if we could execute it. We need to get better in a hurry on offense. Less than 100 yards in a half of football against WKU is not going to get it done.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:02:26 EDT »

I sure hope so....

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:59 EDT »

Yardage means nothing in this game so far- we've basically been running our offense on a 20 yard field for the entire first half.  But clearly, Worley is going to have to throw the ball better for this offense to reach its full potential.  We ran pretty well to start, but when WKU realized that we were no threat through the air, they stuffed the box and stopped us.  Worley's last two throws were pretty good- but one was dropped, and the on the other, the DB just made a good play.  If he can keep putting it on target, we'll move it a little better in the second half- I hope.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:22:49 EDT »

I'm not panicking yet.  One bad half of one quarter, IMO.   Just need to play like we did the first 22:30.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:26:52 EDT »

It's easy to be leading with so many gifts...I want to see sustained drives by the offense with some good passing mixed in with the running game.   It's nice to only have a 20 yard field to score, but that isn't what we'll be getting in the coming weeks...that first one of the 2nd half was definitely better.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:04 EDT »

It's easy to be leading with so many gifts...I want to see sustained drives by the offense with some good passing mixed in with the running game.   It's nice to only have a 20 yard field to score, but that isn't what we'll be getting in the coming weeks...that first one of the 2nd half was definitely better.

The first pick six that bounced off the WR's hands may have been a "gift", but our D had something to do with the others.  Turnovers usually don't just happen in a vacuum.  

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:21 EDT »

I'm not panicking yet.  One bad half of one quarter, IMO.   Just need to play like we did the first 22:30.   

I'm not panicking, but I have seen nothing that gives me any confidence.  The offense didn't look good even in the first 22:30 IMO. I give the defense credit for some of the turnovers, but they have looked terrible during the long drives.  I see very little talent on this roster.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 08:33:47 EDT »

Me and TRO are on the same page.  :)

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:17 EDT »

I'm not panicking, but I have seen nothing that gives me any confidence.  The offense didn't look good even in the first 22:30 IMO. I give the defense credit for some of the turnovers, but they have looked terrible during the long drives.  I see very little talent on this roster.

And that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  By just about any measure, this is our least talented roster in 30 years or more.  

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 08:37:49 EDT »

And that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  By just about any measure, this is our least talented roster in 30 years or more.  

I know.  I am just surprised that some (like Worley) have not improved due to coaching.  Maybe that will just take more time.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 10:05:48 EDT »

I don't disagree TRO...our offense didn't look that great until their D was just gassed in the second half.  Worley DID seem to do better as the game wore on, which is hopeful, but he clearly has a long way to go.  I didn't see last week's game, only heard it on the radio and now I see why people are worried about Worley.

We did run the ball well in the first quarter but I think we let up a bit on both sides of the ball leading 31-7 and they made us pay.  That's all I was really saying.  We ran much better in the second half (but again, they wore down) and Worley showed some signs of life.

I share everyone's concern that we got set up so well in this game with turnovers and I am concerned about the offense going forward, but maybe less than I was last week.

We will find out how they do on the road against Oregon next week.  I don't know how good Oregon's front four are.  I seem to recall they struggled against LSU and Auburn a couple years ago, but they may have improved since.  If our OL can handle them and establish a run game, we might be able to at least hang with Oregon for a while.

I have no expectations of winning next week, but maybe we can make it interesting.  I do feel much better with Jones as the coach though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 10:09:38 EDT »

I don't disagree TRO...our offense didn't look that great until their D was just gassed in the second half.  Worley DID seem to do better as the game wore on, which is hopeful, but he clearly has a long way to go.  I didn't see last week's game, only heard it on the radio and now I see why people are worried about Worley.

We did run the ball well in the first quarter but I think we let up a bit on both sides of the ball leading 31-7 and they made us pay.  That's all I was really saying.  We ran much better in the second half (but again, they wore down) and Worley showed some signs of life.

I share everyone's concern that we got set up so well in this game with turnovers and I am concerned about the offense going forward, but maybe less than I was last week.

We will find out how they do on the road against Oregon next week.  I don't know how good Oregon's front four are.  I seem to recall they struggled against LSU and Auburn a couple years ago, but they may have improved since.  If our OL can handle them and establish a run game, we might be able to at least hang with Oregon for a while.

I have no expectations of winning next week, but maybe we can make it interesting.  I do feel much better with Jones as the coach though.   

My only goal next week is to get through it without any injuries.  Because I think we have decent chance against UF if healthy.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 10:13:21 EDT »

My only goal next week is to get through it without any injuries.  Because I think we have decent chance against UF if healthy.

After their performance today?  Hell yes!  I mean, even DOOLEY'S team had them on the ropes last year, lol.

I agree with the observations you have made last season and over the summer....Muschamp is likely in over his head and the gators got LUCKY in the second half of last season.  It's not just you...I work with a big Florida fan who watches them religiously and he was saying the same thing in November of last year.  And the few times I have been on Mudlizard in the last several months would seem to confirm that Muschamp teams have a decent defense (though even there, it's alleged that they just out-talent teams) but really suck on offense.

I think we have a shot...but first, Oregon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: