VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 11:10:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any big upsets in the TSSAA football ranks last night? Any early suprise teams  (Read 4646 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:49 EDT »

that seem to be better than advertised?

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 04:44:08 EDT »

Newport's not very good, but they beat Pigeon Forge last night and my nephew threw for 350 yds and 3 td's!  He had strepthroat this week too.   
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:23:57 EDT »

have a game like that.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:42:00 EDT »

The way Geeenback manhandled Coalfield (Vol commit Zach Stewart) shocked me. I had Coalfield as my favorite for state title. Greenback comes to Oneida this week for the Thursday night TV game on MyVLT and that one might get ugly. I continue to be surprised by how good Fulton is. Best in state regardless of classification IMO. They manhandled a pretty good Farragut team last night.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:30:18 EDT »

The way Geeenback manhandled Coalfield (Vol commit Zach Stewart) shocked me. I had Coalfield as my favorite for state title. Greenback comes to Oneida this week for the Thursday night TV game on MyVLT and that one might get ugly. I continue to be surprised by how good Fulton is. Best in state regardless of classification IMO. They manhandled a pretty good Farragut team last night.

Yep, that's one I can't understand, either. Coalfield has struggled with some really good talent. 

I'm surprised that Bearden is 1-3 at this point.

A positive surprise team is Morristown East.  They were 1-9 last year, and they already own wins over Bearden and Billy Blunt, and only lost to Sevier County - one of the best teams in the Eastern part of the state - 14 to 10.

Anderson County is 4-0, and all 4 wins have come on the road.  They finally get to play a home game this week.

Campbell County is 3-1, and darned near beat Anderson County last night.  The Price Brothers - Justin and Matt - have done a great job in bringing excitement to that program and giving the county something to get behind. 

Grace Christian Academy is having another terrific year, as well.  Randy McKamey does a great job there. 

Just some of the top of my head. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:43:55 EDT »

Campbell County is 3-1, and darned near beat Anderson County last night.  The Price Brothers - Justin and Matt - have done a great job in bringing excitement to that program and giving the county something to get behind. 

Grace Christian Academy is having another terrific year, as well.  Randy McKamey does a great job there. 

Just some of the top of my head. 

I'm happy to see Campbell County doing well. I'm a big fan of the Price brothers. Everyone has always considered Campbell County a coaching graveyard but I believe that perception is about to be laid to rest (no pun intended). Also happy to see Anderson County doing well...big, big fan of Davey Gillum.

I can't say the same for Grace Christian. IMO, GCA unintentionally makes a perfect case for why publics should be publics and privates should be privates...or, as an alternative, T$$AA should give some teeth to their almost worthless multiplier rule.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 08:52:47 EDT »

I'm happy to see Campbell County doing well. I'm a big fan of the Price brothers. Everyone has always considered Campbell County a coaching graveyard but I believe that perception is about to be laid to rest (no pun intended). Also happy to see Anderson County doing well...big, big fan of Davey Gillum.

I can't say the same for Grace Christian. IMO, GCA unintentionally makes a perfect case for why publics should be publics and privates should be privates...or, as an alternative, T$$AA should give some teeth to their almost worthless multiplier rule.

Can't say that I disagree with you at all.  I'm for a complete public/private split once the playoffs start, as it really should be.  The playing field is just not level there.  

That said, McKamey is a good football coach and does a good job using the rules as they are, just as Rusty Bradley does at CAK.  Both are good guys and good football coaches.  

I've gotten to know the Price brothers pretty well, myself, and have had them on my show several times.  I also had Davey on my show this morning.   Good guys all, and what Justin and Matt have done at Campbell County is simply incredible.  The had over 6K at the AC/CC game at L. Hope Dosett last night.  I've been to game there when they barely had 600 in attendance, much less 6K. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:52 EDT »

crushing teams.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:50 EDT »

crushing teams.

Yes, they have been scoring a lot of points, and they should with the teams they have played thus far.  Stacy Carter is a good coach, but he has a reputation of running up the score at every opportunity, earned or not.  In the Crockett game it was 72-0 at the half and he played reserves the entire second half, so I am not going to point the RUTS finger like some have.  Crockett is just awful. 

Honestly, D-B and Science Hill don't have a lot of competition in that part of the state.  Once the playoffs begin they tend to struggle with Knoxville area teams, however. 

Sevier County had a good win over D-B Friday in a non-district game.  They have a very good senior QB in Luke Manning, and Steve Brewer is one of the best football coaches in the state. They look to be the best team coming out of Districts 1AAA and 2 AAA. 

Maryville looks really good again coming from 3AAA and 4AAA. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:23 EDT »

That Campbell County and Anerson COunty game was one that CC let slip away. The difference was a pick 6 by AC and CC self distructing with about a minute and change left on the ten yard line and then having a 15 yard and a ten yard penalty on consecuative plays. When CC scored to take the lead AC went ona  6 or 7 play drive to retake the lead, but during that drive a CC linebacker could ahve picked off a  pass and took it back. Instead he knocked it down. It was a very good game.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:23:50 EDT »

That Campbell County and Anerson COunty game was one that CC let slip away. The difference was a pick 6 by AC and CC self distructing with about a minute and change left on the ten yard line and then having a 15 yard and a ten yard penalty on consecuative plays. When CC scored to take the lead AC went ona  6 or 7 play drive to retake the lead, but during that drive a CC linebacker could ahve picked off a  pass and took it back. Instead he knocked it down. It was a very good game.

Yeah, I talked to Justin yesterday.  He was disappointed that they didn't win, but he's very pleased with the progress the program is making. 

Like I said, those guys are really doing a good job. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:48:31 EDT »

I think Ensworth is the best team in the State. Fulton is a great team.Fulton reminds me of the 93 Cleveland team. Maryville is a great team this year. Maryville doesn't have a lot of seniors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: