VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 04:34:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We look like crap***nm  (Read 4010 times)
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2013, 11:08:52 EDT »

Crap!

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:18 EDT »

This is not a fine job of coaching. That doesn't mean they're trash, but it does show some things to question.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:05 EDT »

Bet we try to run out the clock instead if score.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:49 EDT »

There's only so much coaching you can do with a qb this bad.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 11:17:54 EDT »

There's only so much coaching you can do with a qb this bad.

Between the qb and young wrs we are waaaay limited.
Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:20:20 EDT »

The RBs aren't showing much quickness either
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 11:27:09 EDT »

Poor QB play is why I have two problems with the coaches.

1) If we were pretty sure it would be an issue the rotation should have been different against AP and WKU.
2) There shouldn't have been as many passes called.

Our strength should be power running, and Oregon hasn't loaded the box a ton. We should have gone to 70/30 run/pass mix, and tried to slow down the game. Going to an up-temp game a couple of times seems extremely curious.

Again, this doesn't mean we have a bad staff, but there are some decisions that seem befuddling.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:32:30 EDT »

1) If we were pretty sure it would be an issue the rotation should have been different against AP and WKU.

Our strength should be power running, and Oregon hasn't loaded the box a ton. We should have gone to 70/30 run/pass mix, and tried to slow down the game. Going to an up-temp game a couple of times seems extremely curious.

Again, this doesn't mean we have a bad staff, but there are some decisions that seem befuddling.

The problem is when you run for 2  yds on 1st down and 1 yard on 2nd, you don't have much of a choice.  Worley was obviously the "safest" option to start the season out, but the traits that make him "safest" also appear to be his downfall.  Just waits too long, seemingly wants to be sure and against top teams you don't have the luxury of time to wait a few extra fractions of a second and be sure.  You gotta pull the trigger.  Good QB's know when to pull the trigger while avoiding costly mistakes.  So it would seem Worley can avoid costly mistakes, but lacks the other piece of the equation.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 11:35:16 EDT »

His accuracy seems to have improved (not to say it's good), but beyond the first read things go sideways.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:26 EDT »

His accuracy seems to have improved (not to say it's good), but beyond the first read things go sideways.

Oregon D is well coached, too.  They smelled blood in the water and applied pressure.  Worley is average at best sitting comfortably in the pocket.  Under pressure, you can just get your punt team ready.   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:54 EDT »

Worley may be better off going with the Matt Mauck system: tuck it and run for three if the first guy isn't there. It's ugly, but functional at times. Note, I didn't say it's optimal. Of course, Mauck also had nasty defenses to back him up.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:53 EDT »

Still, we agree.  I know it's Butch's game but running the uptempo with a qb as limited as Worley seems to be playing right into Oregon's hands.  With our O line we should've mashed them in the mouth more from the get go.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 11:52:54 EDT »

I'm not displeased with the playcalling for the most part.  The pass calls are working- we have WRs running wide open all over the field.  But Worley just can't hit them.  Or when he does, he's still off target and they have to adjust, turning a would-be big play into a 4 yard gain. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 12:26:27 EDT »

I'm not displeased with the playcalling for the most part.  The pass calls are working- we have WRs running wide open all over the field.  But Worley just can't hit them.  Or when he does, he's still off target and they have to adjust, turning a would-be big play into a 4 yard gain. 

There was one drive we tried three straight passes and I think we should have milked the play clock a bit more.  Other than that I didnt have any strategy issues....well go for it on 4th and one but thats it.

I thought Worley started just fine. In fact at one point he was 9 of 14 but when they pressured hik he folded quickly.. Obviously a lot of room for improvement but better than last week fwiw.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: