VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 04:30:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now what are your thoughts about UF?  (Read 4649 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 15, 2013, 04:35:10 EDT »

I had convinced myself that although UT would lose, it would be a good, close game. Now I'm afraid we're going to go into another hostile environment and see things get out of hand once again.

I really felt like Tennessee would be beaten badly today, but I expected things to get out of hand in the second half as Oregon's speed and depth took its toll on Tennessee's lack of depth. Instead, it was over from the beginning. The defense did not get gashed because they were on the field too long and were too tired to make plays. Oregon had its way with our defense from the very beginning. Our defenders never had a prayer. Offensively, Tennessee's inability to run on 1st and 2nd down and set up a 3rd and manageable was very discouraging. Obviously Worley isn't a serviceable QB for SEC play. If the coaches say he's the best QB on the UT roster right now, I trust them. But I'm saddened by that fact. Because no one fears our passing ability. IMO, the worst-case scenario for our offense is about to be realized — poor QB play, inexperienced receivers, and a running game that is just okay but not great because there are no gamebreakers in the backfield. And even though Tennessee will not see an offense anywhere near as good as this one again this season, we're going to see several defenses that are better than what we saw today, and that begins next week in Gainesville.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:50:08 EDT »

Not sure we have a offense that can beat anybody worth a damn.

Zero QB play....average WRs....average RBs and no TE. Playing a offensive system that we don't have the horses for and when the score was 24-7 the game was over. We get down and we have no chance with the offense we have now.

Gonna be a long year...folks might as well give in to that fact.

And to answer your question....we will not beat Florida. If we do, call it a MIRACLE!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 04:59:19 EDT »

We let/for e the crocs beat themselves
They are good at it ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 05:00:13 EDT »

On, and I will be in the swamp next week

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:05:01 EDT »

We may score 10 points vs UF

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:46:58 EDT »

I had a range of expectations for today, and it pegged out at the worst end of it.  Having said that, I was not totally surprised at the result, and although it was bad, as I say elsewhere, Oregon was the toughest matchup for us this year IMO.

Florida will be tough, no doubt about it.  However, I think it will be a defensive struggle for both teams.  Florida's passing offense isn't anything to write home about either, their run game is predictable, and they are turnover prone. 

I think we have a shot, though I will be surprised if we win.  Their D is pretty tough and particularly so against the run, so they match up well with us, unfortunately.

While Worley is struggling, FWIW I thought he looked better this week than last.   It isn't just Worley though...an interesting rhetorical question is, "how well would Bray do with this set of receivers" or "how well would Worley do with CP and Justin Hunter"?

Of course, there would still be a big drop in performance, but IMO JH and CP made Bray look really good last year, no doubt better than he really was, and them leaving factored into his decision because Bray himself said it did.

Whatever his other failures, Worley seems to me to have struggled with his nerves both vs. WKU and Oregon when they pressured him.  For the record, I give him credit for contributing significantly to our first TD...he made a couple nice throws on that drive, and also for appearing calmer compared to the WKU game, which is nice considering this was on the road vs. the no. 2 team in the country.   To be clear, he did NOT appear calm when Oregon brought pressue, but against WKU he appeared to be pressured by thin air, so that clearly counts as improvement.   

He has a long way to go, but if this experience settled him down a bit more, at least he might have more composure against UF under pressure and not rush throws like he often did today. 

I also think that while he is the clear starter for UF...Butch isn't taking him out now, I don't think...that Peterman may well come off the bench sooner if Worley struggles too much.

Us beating UF is a bit of a long shot, but UF has it's own problems, so anything can happen IYAM.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:07:59 EDT »

Not sure we have a offense that can beat anybody worth a damn.

Zero QB play....average WRs....average RBs and no TE. Playing a offensive system that we don't have the horses for and when the score was 24-7 the game was over. We get down and we have no chance with the offense we have now.

Gonna be a long year...folks might as well give in to that fact.

And to answer your question....we will not beat Florida. If we do, call it a MIRACLE!!

It's kind of tough to have good QB play in a spread option based offense when everybody in the free world knows that the QB can't, or won't run the football. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 05:27:10 EDT »

UT is not running a spread option. I do not understand why anyone can think that.  Butch will run his spread option offense when he has a QB that can run.  With Worley they do not run a spread option.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 05:30:31 EDT »

UT is not running a spread option. I do not understand why anyone can think that.  Butch will run his spread option offense when he has a QB that can run.  With Worley they do not run a spread option.

It's an offense based on the spread option, and the QB has to run the football on occasion to keep the defense honest.  It's what Butch did at Cincinnati.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 10:33:17 EDT »

It's an offense based on the spread option, and the QB has to run the football on occasion to keep the defense honest.  It's what Butch did at Cincinnati.  

He did run some against Austin Peay and to a lesser extent against WKU.  Let him run I say, while realizing he is not that great a runner, if they "know" he is not going to run, he might be able to slip a long run in every now and then.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 10:34:08 EDT »

I had convinced myself that although UT would lose, it would be a good, close game. Now I'm afraid we're going to go into another hostile environment and see things get out of hand once again.

I think UF should be favored, but I don't see it getting "out of hand".   Hopefully I am right.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 12:16:41 EDT »

I think UF should be favored, but I don't see it getting "out of hand".   Hopefully I am right.   

Well, it doesn't happen often, but here's hoping...    Oh, calm down, I'm just kidding...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:47 EDT »

Well, it doesn't happen often, but here's hoping...    Oh, calm down, I'm just kidding...

Give me a break, it almost always happens.   

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 03:21:45 EDT »

UT is not running a spread option. I do not understand why anyone can think that.  Butch will run his spread option offense when he has a QB that can run.  With Worley they do not run a spread option.

We are running a read option type of offense about 40-50% of the time. However, we're not reading much, and neither is the defense, because the QB is not keeping, or doesn't pose a threat to run.

It's what Butch runs...and I don't think we will see Worley run it much more. he needs a more athletic guy there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: