VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 01:53:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember when Peyton played UF  (Read 4134 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:01:19 EDT »

And he'd have a far better statistical game than Wuerfell, but make a costly mistake or two and lose the game?  As we know, the media roasted him mercilessly for that.  Maybe he deserved it, maybe not.  But I bring this up because Manziel had pretty much the exact same type of game yesterday.  He was brilliant, but his two picks clearly cost his team the win. Yet every report I've seen and read this morning is felating him like a $50 Bourbon Street hooker on Fat Tuesday.  Interesting...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:31:54 EDT »

Well I know you don't like Manziel, but Peyton never looked that good to me against UF, and frankly we never got that close to beating UF, as much as I would like to count 1996.

But certainly his first int likely cost them the game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:13 EDT »

Well I know you don't like Manziel, but Peyton never looked that good to me against UF, and frankly we never got that close to beating UF, as much as I would like to count 1996.

But certainly his first int likely cost them the game.
97 he played well in the swamp
The game turned on a drop followed by a pick 6
BTW, if the duck fans want to understand LOUD the swamp after that pick was the loudest I've ever heard a stadium (I was sitting in similar seats, row 13 North endome in the swamp and row endzone corner in Autzen)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:53:38 EDT »

97 he played well in the swamp
The game turned on a drop followed by a pick 6
BTW, if the duck fans want to understand LOUD the swamp after that pick was the loudest I've ever heard a stadium (I was sitting in similar seats, row 13 North endome in the swamp and row endzone corner in Autzen)

I had to be VERY polite when a Ducks fan asked if Autzen was the loudest stadium I had ever been in.  I gently explained that almost every stadium I had been in had been louder.  It's a great stadium now, and the landscaping is impressive, especially compared to the 90s, but it is not particularly loud.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24:08 EDT »

I had to be VERY polite when a Ducks fan asked if Autzen was the loudest stadium I had ever been in.  I gently explained that almost every stadium I had been in had been louder.  It's a great stadium now, and the landscaping is impressive, especially compared to the 90s, but it is not particularly loud.

I have heard it said by many media types that Autzen is the loudest stadium in America.  They must be west coast guys, who only have the Pac 10 to compare it to.  I've been to the Rose Bowl, the Colosseum, and (old) Stanford Stadium- and I'm sure it IS louder than those places, which isn't saying much.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:27:57 EDT »

I have heard it said by many media types that Autzen is the loudest stadium in America.  They must be west coast guys, who only have the Pac 10 to compare it to.  I've been to the Rose Bowl, the Colosseum, and (old) Stanford Stadium- and I'm sure it IS louder than those places, which isn't saying much.

I haven't been to many stadiums, but off the top of my head, Neyland, Florida, Syracuse and Ohio State came to mind as being louder.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:34:54 EDT »

I haven't been to many stadiums, but off the top of my head, Neyland, Florida, Syracuse and Ohio State came to mind as being louder.

I also remember hearing a lot of the same things about Husky Stadium back when UW was really good 20+ years ago.  That place certainly LOOKS like it would be loud, with the big overhang on both sides to trap the noise.  I'd like to see UT schedule a home/home with them sometime, but we don't really recruit up there, so I doubt it will happen.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:48:05 EDT »

I also remember hearing a lot of the same things about Husky Stadium back when UW was really good 20+ years ago.  That place certainly LOOKS like it would be loud, with the big overhang on both sides to trap the noise.  I'd like to see UT schedule a home/home with them sometime, but we don't really recruit up there, so I doubt it will happen.

Not to sound flip, but that isn't too far from Oregon and Washington is a better recruiting ground due to it's much larger population.

Which brings me to my REAL question...why in the fizzle did we play Oregon to begin with?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:10 EDT »

Not to sound flip, but that isn't too far from Oregon and Washington is a better recruiting ground due to it's much larger population.

Which brings me to my REAL question...why in the fizzle did we play Oregon to begin with?   

Because for better or worse, Oregon is a national brand right now.  We play them at their place, we get a plum 3:30 timeslot on ABC.  We play at UW, and we're probably on Fox Sports at 10PM. 

It's the same concept as playing Notre Dame, even though Indiana hardly fertile recruiting ground.  It's all about exposure.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:30 EDT »

Because for better or worse, Oregon is a national brand right now.  We play them at their place, we get a plum 3:30 timeslot on ABC.  We play at UW, and we're probably on Fox Sports at 10PM. 

It's the same concept as playing Notre Dame, even though Indiana hardly fertile recruiting ground.  It's all about exposure.

Yes, but I am sure that when the contract with Oregon was signed, they were considered maybe the third best team in the Pac 12, or second at most.  We played them in 2010, so I am guessing the contract was cut in the summer of 2008.  These things usually get set up years in advance.

And UW might just be the third best team in the Pac 12 this year.  They are much better.

So while my comment was flip, I am not sure given the state of our team now and where Oregon is we schedule this game.

Good point about the exposure though...for us to be on ABC was great, although I am pretty sure most of the country watched bammer-Tamu.  OTOH, many of my bammer friends did flip back and forth, so maybe not a complete loss.

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:54:59 EDT »

95 Peyton played great..UT had like a 30-14 lead at half in the Swamp and ended up losing like 62-37?..The defense blew it that game..He was only the qb at UT..never played a down on defense but thats all we hear about was how Peyton couldn't beat UF..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:57:46 EDT by crockettman » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: