VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 05:49:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there another Tennessee message board...  (Read 7032 times)
VOLveeta
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:45:36 EDT »

that actually has adult humans who call themselves Vol fans... who have at least a ten year old's maturity in perspective?  I know all programs have boatloads of morons for fans but seriously, this fanbase is blessed with an inordinate number of clueless boobs. 

Thank goodness for this place.  The Butch bitching on the other sites after his third game is mind boggling.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:34:57 EDT »

I checked Volnation last night, and I saw people griping about Worley and the general state of the program, but very little against Butch.  I am sure there are other sites though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:44:05 EDT »

that actually has adult humans who call themselves Vol fans... who have at least a ten year old's maturity in perspective?  I know all programs have boatloads of morons for fans but seriously, this fanbase is blessed with an inordinate number of clueless boobs. 

Thank goodness for this place.  The Butch bitching on the other sites after his third game is mind boggling.

One lady behind me in the stands said something about making a poster with a picture of Dooley and "Miss me yet?" on it.    Jones is head and shoulders better than Dooley.  Just the discipline of the team shows that. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:48:26 EDT »

I checked Volnation last night, and I saw people griping about Worley and the general state of the program, but very little against Butch.  I am sure there are other sites though.
VQ for one has been on a general anti Butch row the last 24 hours

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:32 EDT »

I don't get it. I just flat-out don't get it. How can anyone with the IQ of my shoe sole seriously think that it's possible to judge a coach after 3 games (and, really, after 1 game, because I'll guarantee you that none of those morons were grumbling about the coach before yesterday's game). I mean, I understand with questioning some of the coaching decisions that were made yesterday...I did that myself. That's just natural as a fan. But anyone who thinks that yesterday happened because we didn't make the right hire is delusional. There isn't a coach in America who could've taken this team into that stadium and won last night.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to have much of a chance against Florida. And unless the offense seriously improves, we aren't going to have much of a chance against Georgia, either. If those two games get out of hand, the segment of the fan base that likes to moan and groan are going to be intolerable.

One thing I would like to see is Peterman (or one of the true freshmen) get some PT when the game is still meaningful. I'm trying to trust the coaches that Worley is legitimately the best option at this point, but I seriously have to question whether they see potential there and are just hoping that they can foster the right mentality for Worley.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 12:53:27 EDT »

I don't get it, either.  Anybody with half of a brain (which some would say disqualifies me, by they way - they don't think I have that much gray matter) knew coming in to the season that this was going to be a very tough year, given our current talent level and the brutal schedule we play. 

6-6 and Butch has done a really good job, in my opinion.  7-5 and he deserves coach of the year consideration. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 01:08:15 EDT »

I don't get it. I just flat-out don't get it. How can anyone with the IQ of my shoe sole seriously think that it's possible to judge a coach after 3 games (and, really, after 1 game, because I'll guarantee you that none of those morons were grumbling about the coach before yesterday's game). I mean, I understand with questioning some of the coaching decisions that were made yesterday...I did that myself. That's just natural as a fan. But anyone who thinks that yesterday happened because we didn't make the right hire is delusional. There isn't a coach in America who could've taken this team into that stadium and won last night.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to have much of a chance against Florida. And unless the offense seriously improves, we aren't going to have much of a chance against Georgia, either. If those two games get out of hand, the segment of the fan base that likes to moan and groan are going to be intolerable.

One thing I would like to see is Peterman (or one of the true freshmen) get some PT when the game is still meaningful. I'm trying to trust the coaches that Worley is legitimately the best option at this point, but I seriously have to question whether they see potential there and are just hoping that they can foster the right mentality for Worley.

Good points and agree.

The ONLY beef right now that I have with Butch is he's trying to run an offense they we don't even come close to having the personnel to run it. I'd like to see him adjust some and run some offense that plays more to our strength.

Right now I just don't see this offense getting any better against good teams trying to run it the way it is now.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:18:14 EDT »

Good points and agree.

The ONLY beef right now that I have with Butch is he's trying to run an offense they we don't even come close to having the personnel to run it. I'd like to see him adjust some and run some offense that plays more to our strength.

Right now I just don't see this offense getting any better against good teams trying to run it the way it is now.

I think the problem with that is that this offense doesn't really HAVE a strength.  We COULD be a decent power running team- but to do that, the QB has to at least be a threat to hurt you through the air (or with his feet), if just to keep the defense honest.  Otherwise, they just load up the box and stuff us at the line.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 01:30:27 EDT »

Good points and agree.

The way I see it is that with the lack of offensive personnel, we aren't going to do any better running a different offense.  This way at least the young guys get some reps in it, and the recruits can see how much we need good players and how much opportunity there is to play and play early. 

As the saying goes, six of one, ...........

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:56:41 EDT »

The way I see it is that with the lack of offensive personnel, we aren't going to do any better running a different offense.  This way at least the young guys get some reps in it, and the recruits can see how much we need good players and how much opportunity there is to play and play early. 

As the saying goes, six of one, ...........

Just depends if you want to try to get to 6 wins this season. If not then stick with what you're doing.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:05 EDT »

Just depends if you want to try to get to 6 wins this season. If not then stick with what you're doing.

Again, not sure it really make any difference right now.  I don't see the chances of winning 6 any better either way. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 05:32:55 EDT »

I think the problem with that is that this offense doesn't really HAVE a strength.  We COULD be a decent power running team- but to do that, the QB has to at least be a threat to hurt you through the air (or with his feet), if just to keep the defense honest.  Otherwise, they just load up the box and stuff us at the line.

True, but along those lines, we don't really need a QB to step up and be Manning or whatever.  Just a decent passing attack and our run game can produce.  Run the ball, keep it away from the other team, don't make mistakes.  But yeah, hit a few passes, please.

My point is that we don't need a whole bunch of passing...just enough.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 06:19:56 EDT »

I browsed most of the UT boards this morning. WTF? I guess we're using the typical UT fanbase strategy at this point: piss and moan and blame anything that moves, because that has been so productive and made us so very happy in the past.

We've still got 9 games to play, first of all, and on top of that nobody with half a brain was calling for less than 5 losses this year. Then we roll a couple of patsies and all of a sudden losing to #2 Oregon is unacceptable and the end of the world? It's exactly what nearly all of us expected. Sure, I'd like to have made it a better game. I'm sure Butch and the players would have preferred that as well. But the game was expected to be a blowout, and it was. We are who we thought we were, and I don't see why it's time for an implosion.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 07:19:33 EDT »

It's the instant gratification philosophy.  Too bad they don't realize we can't microwave this team into championship caliber squad.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:17 EDT »

I browsed most of the UT boards this morning. WTF? I guess we're using the typical UT fanbase strategy at this point: piss and moan and blame anything that moves, because that has been so productive and made us so very happy in the past.

We've still got 9 games to play, first of all, and on top of that nobody with half a brain was calling for less than 5 losses this year. Then we roll a couple of patsies and all of a sudden losing to #2 Oregon is unacceptable and the end of the world? It's exactly what nearly all of us expected. Sure, I'd like to have made it a better game. I'm sure Butch and the players would have preferred that as well. But the game was expected to be a blowout, and it was. We are who we thought we were, and I don't see why it's time for an implosion.

It's human nature, unfortunately.  My perception is that often, though not always, those complaining the loudest or being the least patient are also more of the bandwagon variety of fan.  The attitude is, "I only root for teams that win".   That's not all of them, but for those that are that way, I would prefer they go root for another team.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 10:54:06 EDT »

the Vols punted on a lot of 4th downs. The announcers said they had nothing to lose and why would they want the Oregon offense to get the ball back. I guess six of one, half dozen of the other. It really didn't matter where the Ducks got the ball. I think they should have went for a few more 4th downs.

volsboyinsodak
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 11:39:22 EDT »

the Vols punted on a lot of 4th downs. The announcers said they had nothing to lose and why would they want the Oregon offense to get the ball back. I guess six of one, half dozen of the other. It really didn't matter where the Ducks got the ball. I think they should have went for a few more 4th downs.

I think we should have gone for a couple of those that were fairly short yardage, but not all of them that the announcer thought we should have.  I disagree to some extent with the coaching in just about every game, but I really don't think there is much to criticize Jones for in this game. 

I do not devote near the time and effort that the coaching staff does in developing strategy, so I realize my limitations and ignorance on some issues and just trust the staff.  I have fun picking apart the decisions, but it ends before I seriously think I know better than them.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 02:48:49 EDT »

On the 4th downs, two were for 10 yards, and I say no, don't do that, even at midfield.  A 4th and four was at our own 35, and again, no.

There was a fourth and one or two around midfield that I do think we should have gone for. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 03:08:49 EDT »

The TV guys began to sound like circus clowns after the 6th or 7th time they broached the subject.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:33 EDT »

The TV guys began to sound like circus clowns after the 6th or 7th time they broached the subject.

I know...I was like, STFU already. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: