VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 06:44:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So... here's the way I see it. Butch, unlike Dooley or Kiffin, but like Fulmer  (Read 3696 times)
VOLveeta
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:10 EDT »

will take this game and use it as his Nebraska ass whooping.  Fulmer did a great job of using that disaster as a motivator and low and behold, look what happened next.  Of course... the talent of this team compared to that of the '96/'97 teams are almost identical.   
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 04:28:25 EDT »

I would think this group has had enough lessons like that. Our o-line may be great individually, but they are not great together at run blocking.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:06:01 EDT »

I would think this group has had enough lessons like that. Our o-line may be great individually, but they are not great together at run blocking.

I disagree.  We averaged 4.7 yards per run vs. Oregon, which is over the generally accepted average of 3.5.  We are 29th in the country in rushing offense.  We ran for nearly 200 yards against the no. 2 team in the country.

I don't have any idea how you could think our O-line/run game is bad.  Or maybe you mean it's "good but not great".  I could agree with that, but of our entire team, the rushing game is probably the biggest strength we have.

I truly do not understand people complaining about it.  

It may be that we were SO BAD in 2010-11 at running the ball that its a reflex to complain about it, IDK.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:57:39 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:06:51 EDT »

Yeah, maybe.  But hopefully this coach won't just opt to deflect blame.  Hopefully he's going to make the most of this painful experience.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:02 EDT »

They are not dominant and they should be for the praise that gets heaped upon them. Maybe its the system's they have been IDK. I do know that, regardless of what the average is, they routinely get stuffed on 3rd and short. Happend against AP, WKU & now UO. Next week we can add UF to the list.
Oregon stopped runs with only 4 and 5 in the box at the snap. How much of that "178" came in the 4th when the game was over against the 3rd string? Just looked at the stats at the University site, Neal and Lane gained about 100 yards during their time which went through most of the 3rd quarter anyway. The remaining 78 came in garbage time. 100 yards is not bad in 3 quarters but it isn't good for a team that has to do better to have a shot at winning. We had a bunch of 3 and outs in the 1st half, which can be partially laid on the o-line not getting it done. The backs don't help any, and the qb situation is a complete hindrance. So while I agree they are a team strength that seems to relative in the grand scheme of things. On a bad team how good is the best part of that team?

I would like to see how they do with good rbs and good qb. They would be better I'm sure. I don't hate them, I appreciate all they do, but they do not dominate like their press clippings say they should.

I don't need you to have an idea about what I think.

I disagree.  We averaged 4.3 yards per run vs. Oregon, which is over the generally accepted average of 3.5.  We are 29th in the country in rushing offense.  We ran for nearly 200 yards against the no. 2 team in the country.

I don't have any idea how you could think our O-line/run game is bad.  Or maybe you mean it's "good but not great".  I could agree with that, but of our entire team, the rushing game is probably the biggest strength we have.

I truly do not understand people complaining about it.   

It may be that we were SO BAD in 2010-11 at running the ball that its a reflex to complain about it, IDK.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:22 EDT »

\ I do know that, regardless of what the average is, they routinely get stuffed on 3rd and short. Happend against AP, WKU & now UO. Next week we can add UF to the list.

I don't see that it happened against Oregon.  Quick C&P of all the 3rd down runs we had. 

3rd and 5 at TENN 32   Marlin Lane rush for 4 yards to the Tenn 36.
3rd and 1 at ORE 47   Justin Worley rush for 2 yards to the Oregn 45 for a 1ST down
3rd and 5 at TENN 35   Rajion Neal rush for 6 yards to the Tenn 41 for a 1ST down

Those are the only 3rd down runs we had, all in the first half.  Unfortunately, we got in a situation where we had to pass on all the third downs after that.

We only got stopped once, and it went for 4 yards on 3rd and 5.  Hardly "getting stuffed" IYAM.

This is not intended to be an insult...I just don't see the problems you do with our OL and run game.  They seem fine.  If we can open up the passing game even a bit, this could be a decent offense IMO.

Florida probably will have success against us. They have a very talented DL and a coach that emphasizes run D.  But I'm not counting out the Vols just yet.  I think at a minimum, we will do better running the ball than last year (which is a pretty low standard of 83 yards).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:32 EDT »

of a finesse type D aimed at stopping PAC12 type spread offenses. I think a physical run stopping SEC defense will give us lots of problems. I hope I'm wrong.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:42:17 EDT »

of a finesse type D aimed at stopping PAC12 type spread offenses. I think a physical run stopping SEC defense will give us lots of problems. I hope I'm wrong.

I say we pancake the fizzleing gators.  Run over  the pups.  And fizzleing destroy the satan-spawned bammers.  I hope I'm not wrong.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:35 EDT »

Butch said in his presser today we didn't have one running play for negative loss. It was about the only thing he was pleased with.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:03:54 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:46:55 EDT »

Butch said in his presser today we didn't have one play for negative loss. It was about the only thing he was pleased with.
Thanks to a GREAT play by Summerhill to turn a 5 yard loss into a no gain

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: