VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 09:36:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watched the first quarter (not sure I'm ready for the 2nd yet)  (Read 5788 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:51:53 EDT »

A few things:
On their 3rd play from scrimmage we got very, very lucky.  Their fast as lightning RB beat AJ flat out and their QB missed him.  If he catches the ball the only thing between him and a TD is McNeil

There are times (too many IMO) when our OL doesn't block anybody. 

Lane got the 1st down, period, dot.

On the first TE TD the LB abandoned him to go after the QB who was rolling out and the safeties were very slow to react.

On the big catch and run by their TE just before the end of the quarter I haven't the faintest clue what defense we were in and I doubt some of the players did.  We had the backup safeties in the game with Sapp and AJ as the backers.  At the snap Sapp is man up on the TE.  Moore is essentially a 3rd LB just inside him.  Sapp engages the TE while Moore steps towards the LOS.  Sapp releases the TE and it looks like we are in zone.  Both Moore and Sapp are staring into the backfield.  #9 comes on a short cross to the (D) left and both Sapp and Moore go with him, while the TE bumps into Moore and releases to the inside.  Meanwhile, AJ looks like he is blitzing on a delayed blitz but stops.  The TE is all alone and it is an easy pitch and catch.  With Moore essentially on the LOS and out of the play the middle of the field is wide open and Arnold is too slow to catch him.  One or more players screwed up but it would be difficult to pick which one(s).  I suspect we were in zone and there was a mix-up in comm between the LBs and the safeties.  Unfortunately this was a preview of the next 2 quarters.

BTW sometimes it is good to be seated down low when the team scores a TD in front of you ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:33 EDT »

I don't think AJ is any good at blitzing, delayed or not.  He seems to wait (which might be by intent) and then run right at a blocker.  I swear, this is what it looks like on TV, might look better from a different angle, but he almost seems to think his job is to engage blockers.   

I think we should just blitz someone besides him...Maggit, Sapp, whoever.

I also think that we were really close to stopping them on their first TD.  It would not have mattered to the final outcome, but had we stopped them we probably could have kept it close another half quarter or so.

And...you are actually watching that shizzle?  You have a much stronger stomach than me.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:28:03 EDT »

AJ kills us in the pass game, time and time again. 

I also do not understand the concept of playing the safety on the strong side of the formation up, we did that a lot and it hurt us just about every time.  It leaves no safety deep on the strong side. 

On their 4th TD both of those hurt us.

On their 5th TD a LB and a safety were half speed, the RB was not.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:45:52 EDT »

Our first series after the half
OT doesn't sustain a block
QB does not step into a throw to a wide open receiver, very bad underthrow - a half way descent throw a good gain
OT whiffs on a block in pass protection

Their first possession
18 yard pass (nice catch
4 yard screen (well played by the D)
Incomplete pass (nice inside pressure)
1st down pass, beating the coverage (very passive coverage)
no gain sweep (well played)
incomplete pass on bubble screen (bad throw)
QB scramble for a 1st down (nice inside rush, no outside contain)
12 yard 1st down run, should have been stopped at or near the LOS
17 yard TD pass to the TE (blown coverage by the LB)
Congrats, forced them to use the most time off the clock of any of their drives

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46:22 EDT »

One other note:  The Duck WRs block exceptionally well

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:41:19 EDT »

No comment about the o-line not blocking anybody?

I don't think AJ is any good at blitzing, delayed or not.  He seems to wait (which might be by intent) and then run right at a blocker.  I swear, this is what it looks like on TV, might look better from a different angle, but he almost seems to think his job is to engage blockers.   

I think we should just blitz someone besides him...Maggit, Sapp, whoever.

I also think that we were really close to stopping them on their first TD.  It would not have mattered to the final outcome, but had we stopped them we probably could have kept it close another half quarter or so.

And...you are actually watching that shizzle?  You have a much stronger stomach than me.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:27:53 EDT »

No comment about the o-line not blocking anybody?

I never said they were perfect.  No one ever is.  I am sure they miss plays and have room for improvement.

But without question, being 26th in the country at running the ball is so much better than 2011, when we were something like 112th.   Yes, we could be 1st.  Hope we are one day, but Oline/run game...not the problem with this team!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:28:30 EDT »

And I never asked for perfection, or to be #1 in rushing. You just wanted to argue with me about it for some reason, but not anyone else.
I don't think that the o-line is the biggest issue on this team either. They were however the most praised group and have not lived up to the hype yet. Most everyone knows that or thinks that but for some reason you took offense to my comments about it only.

Good luck to you in the future, I'm done with this.   

I never said they were perfect.  No one ever is.  I am sure they miss plays and have room for improvement.

But without question, being 26th in the country at running the ball is so much better than 2011, when we were something like 112th.   Yes, we could be 1st.  Hope we are one day, but Oline/run game...not the problem with this team!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:58 EDT »

Just a FYI, here is an article about the o-line. Looks like I am not alone in my assessment. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/sep/19/tennessees-disappointed-offensive-line-ready-to/?sports

It'll be strength on strength when Tennessee's offensive line and Florida's defensive line butt heads on Saturday, but the Vols' strength is looking for a bounce-back performance after Oregon's defensive front controlled the line of scrimmage against Tennessee's top unit.

The Ducks often had defenders in quarterback Justin Worley's face as he threw, and Tennessee managed 100 of its 178 rushing yards after Oregon scored the touchdown that made it 59-7.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:02 EDT »

accomplished it against. None of the first 3 opponents had physical SEC defenses. Oregon's D is decent though.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:49:10 EDT »

accomplished it against. None of the first 3 opponents had physical SEC defenses. Oregon's D is decent though.

Oregon has significantly upgraded their talent.   A Duck fan posted on another site that in 2009 when they played Auburn, only 3 of those players made NFL rosters (I think he meant seniors that year).   And now he claims 11-12 of their current roster could make the NFL.  Thier DLine averages about 295 and is fast and athletic, so they are not chopped liver.  I am sure bammer, LSU and UF at a min have better lines, but Oregon probably is top 20 at least IMO.  We will see how they do against Stanford this year.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:56:17 EDT »

Just a FYI, here is an article about the o-line. Looks like I am not alone in my assessment. 

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/sep/19/tennessees-disappointed-offensive-line-ready-to/?sports

I thought you were done with this?  (dam I sound like Creekwalker lol).

I don't disagree with the article myself.  Again, I didn't say the O line completely lived up to their potential.  It's just that your post on this seemed to imply that they just flat out SUCKED.  Room for improvement?  Yes, but anytime you go for 178 yards against the no. 2 team in the country - Pac 12 or not - you don't suck, you did pretty good.

"Good but room for improvement" I agree with.  It could be I read more negativity into your OP than was actually there.

I definitely agree that Florida will be more of a test.  Looking forward to it, and I hope they justify my faith in them.  This unit has largely been together through all the shizzlety Dooley years and deserves to get some satisfaction.  I hope they take out a lot of pent up frustration on the gators this Saturday.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:18 EDT »

Now why are you dragging me into your little argument? 

I'm trying to stand over here to the side so those horse guts don't splatter on me.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:40:44 EDT »

I was until I found that article. I couldn't resist.  They did kind of suck against Oregon. My intention was for it to be just a comment, but it may have been tainted with my frustration of us sucking so bad for so long now. I tried to keep it bottled up but it slips out every so often.

I certainly hope your last sentence is played out sat afternoon. This team and us fans could use some positive performances against more talented teams instead of getting our skulls bashed in every time. I don't see it happening though in the heat of the day and no depth. A loss is a loss but if we just didn't get blown out it would help.

I don't disagree with the article myself.  Again, I didn't say the O line completely lived up to their potential.  It's just that your post on this seemed to imply that they just flat out SUCKED.  Room for improvement?  Yes, but anytime you go for 178 yards against the no. 2 team in the country - Pac 12 or not - you don't suck, you did pretty good.

"Good but room for improvement" I agree with.  It could be I read more negativity into your OP than was actually there.

I definitely agree that Florida will be more of a test.  Looking forward to it, and I hope they justify my faith in them.  This unit has largely been together through all the shizzlety Dooley years and deserves to get some satisfaction.  I hope they take out a lot of pent up frustration on the gators this Saturday.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 09:27:15 EDT »

I was until I found that article. I couldn't resist.  They did kind of suck against Oregon. My intention was for it to be just a comment, but it may have been tainted with my frustration of us sucking so bad for so long now. I tried to keep it bottled up but it slips out every so often.

I certainly hope your last sentence is played out sat afternoon. This team and us fans could use some positive performances against more talented teams instead of getting our skulls bashed in every time. I don't see it happening though in the heat of the day and no depth. A loss is a loss but if we just didn't get blown out it would help.

Well I understand about the frustration.  It has been a long five years, although 2009 had a few bright spots.  During the Dooley era we have to accept that Cincinatti and NC State were the best he could do (I'm not going to dignify the sole SEC win against Vandy in 2011 by adding it to the list).   I don't feel great about our chances Saturday but I hope we improve dramatically over last week.   The good thing is, by the end of the season I am pretty sure Butch will give us one memory better than NC State or Cincy...heck, WKU is probably comparable to those two anyway so maybe Butch has already matched the " best" of the Dooley era.   Even a solid win over Missouri or Auburn would be better than anything Dooley ever did, IYAM.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: