VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 11:47:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, this is awkward...  (Read 4051 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:58:24 EDT »

I guess you can add Nebraska to list of potential job openings after this season.

http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-nebraska-fans-fizzle-you-fans-fizzle-all-o-1327398903?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:26:34 EDT »

My problem with that is it happened 2 years ago and it only becomes news NOW, because someone (probably some Nebraska beat writer) has an ax to grind after UCLA embarrassed Nebraska? I don't see the big deal with it, although it certainly gives ammo to those who want to get rid of him.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:40:10 EDT »

there are some great comments in that thread, like this one...

Remember When We Had Classy Coaches At Nebraska, That Just Let Players Rape Women Instead of Cursing Fans Like Some Kind Of Classless Monster

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:23:59 EDT »

My problem with that is it happened 2 years ago and it only becomes news NOW, because someone (probably some Nebraska beat writer) has an ax to grind after UCLA embarrassed Nebraska? I don't see the big deal with it, although it certainly gives ammo to those who want to get rid of him.

True, but it's also in the wake of his response to Tommie Frazier, which just happened. There's a pattern and I think no matter who has an ax to grind it certainly hurts Pelini.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:53:17 EDT »

I remember watching the ucla game and remembering a time when no one could beat Nebraska.  Idk who they think they're going to get if they chase Pelini off.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:12:57 EDT »

True, but it's also in the wake of his response to Tommie Frazier, which just happened. There's a pattern and I think no matter who has an ax to grind it certainly hurts Pelini.

Yep.  Frazier is to them what Manning is to us.  Can you imagine a UT coach (especially one that's not winning) saying "We don't need him" in reference to Manning?  No way they would survive that.  Of course, I can't imagine Peyton ever saying the things to provoke him like Frazier did, either.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:13:10 EDT »

I remember watching the ucla game and remembering a time when no one could beat Nebraska.  Idk who they think they're going to get if they chase Pelini off.

It's just hard to imagine why his defenses struggle so mightily. He was a hot shot defensive coordinator for Nebraska, Oklahoma, and LSU before becoming a HC.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 04:33:23 EDT »

It's just hard to imagine why his defenses struggle so mightily. He was a hot shot defensive coordinator for Nebraska, Oklahoma, and LSU before becoming a HC.

True.  The blackshirt thing vs. UCLA had to be pretty embarrassing.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 05:05:27 EDT »

Yep.  Frazier is to them what Manning is to us.  Can you imagine a UT coach (especially one that's not winning) saying "We don't need him" in reference to Manning?  No way they would survive that.  Of course, I can't imagine Peyton ever saying the things to provoke him like Frazier did, either.

Your last sentence says it all, IMO. Frazier should've had the sense to keep his mouth shut. I didn't think Pelini's response was unjustified.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:13 EDT »

Recruiting.  Back in the 90s, I read a long article on Osbourne in GQ magazine.  It was mostly about the incidents, but it went into great depth.  It said that Osbourne learned from the butt whippings by FSU and Miami in the late 80s that he needed speed and there wasn't any in Nebraska.  So he went out and got it.  The article specifically mentioned that he targeted DBs.  My guess is that Pellini is just not as good at that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: