VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 05:21:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Butch needed any more motivation  (Read 7608 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:45 EDT »

he should see this from Pat Forde: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--forde-yard-dash--the-week-that-error-and-ineptitude-ruled-college-football-053822884.html.

Bottom of the Barrel, with Kentucky. An overreaction to Saturday, without a doubt (IMO it's bullshizzle to put us below Mizzou, at the very least), but it shows just how uphill the battle is to be seen as an elite SEC team again.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:33:18 EDT »

The truth stings, but that is what we looked like playing Oregon.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:38:24 EDT »

Right now I'd agree with where we are. Mizzou has looked better than us.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:35 EDT »

Right now I'd agree with where we are. Mizzou has looked better than us.

It's too early in the season to make judgments like this, but I don't agree. Considering the level of competition we've looked about the same as Mizzou, but clearly better than Kentucky. This is just Forde's opinion of course, I and I like Forde  . . . I just think he's reading too much into Oregon. We won't really know how we stack up against the likes of Mizzou, MSU, Vandy, etc. for several more weeks.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:02 EDT »

It's too early in the season to make judgments like this, but I don't agree. Considering the level of competition we've looked about the same as Mizzou, but clearly better than Kentucky. This is just Forde's opinion of course, I and I like Forde  . . . I just think he's reading too much into Oregon. We won't really know how we stack up against the likes of Mizzou, MSU, Vandy, etc. for several more weeks.

It's a week to week assessment. It will change.

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:21 EDT »

As stated earlier by someone else, its a week to week thing. But honestly, I think Tennessee is right about where they are in his estimation. Tennessee has not beaten anybody of any significance yet, Vanderbilt gave S. Carolina all they could handle in the second half. Now, we all know how thin Tennessee is in positon play, we all know how poor recruiting has been. I do believe that in time Butch will get it done. The fact that a bunch of walk-ons ought to tell us how thin the Vols are there and with injuries Tennessee is thin in the trenches as well. This OUGHT to tell recruits that they have a very real opportunity to come in and play right away, not compete for a job but play. Give Butch time, he has the personality, that drive, and the willingness to take the Vols back to the upper echelon of not only the SEC but national stage. GO VOLS!!!!! GO TEAM 117!!!!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:59:40 EDT »

Additionally, I was watching Locker Room last week and Troy Fleming was openly saying that Riley Fergeson should be the QB. Fred White wsa shaking his head "Yes".
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:17:09 EDT »

Additionally, I was watching Locker Room last week and Troy Fleming was openly saying that Riley Fergeson should be the QB. Fred White wsa shaking his head "Yes".

Interesting
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:36:29 EDT »

I'll be surprised if Ferg isn't the starter Saturday.

As for Forde, I really don't take issue with that. The way to change that is to just go out and play good football. And if we don't, then he will have been right all along.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:20 EDT »

As for Forde, I really don't take issue with that. The way to change that is to just go out and play good football. And if we don't, then he will have been right all along.

Absolutely. I'm not really taking issue-- nitpicking a little, yes-- but mainly highlighting the hill we have to claim to get back to respectability.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:52 EDT »

There is definitely internet buzz about Ferguson. Reminds me a little of the Matthews/Suggs/Clausen situation. We will see.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:44:16 EDT by Volznut » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:55 EDT »

There is definitely internet buzz about Ferguson. Reminds me a little of the Matthews/Suggs/Clausen situation. We will see.

There was internet buzz about Gruden also 

No, seriously, it's possible that Ferguson is the best fit for the Jones offense.  I guess we will see.  Makes the game a bit more interesting this weekend.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 06:04:47 EDT »

I haven't read anything today and only listened to Ainge a bit this morning, but my gut right now is telling me we're going to see Worley again on Saturday.  If not him, maybe Peterman.  I'll just be shocked if we roll out a true freshman in the swamp.  I just don't see how you can gameplan for UF AND groom a brand new QB all this week, I don't see how there's time to do both at all let alone effectively.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 06:13:17 EDT »

UT has beaten Austin Peay, who could be the worst team in D1-AA, and Western Kentucky, who lost to South Alabama on Saturday.  

And then, of course, the Oregon debacle.  And it's not just the way Oregon beat UT, but the fact that with the exception of the first quarter UT wasn't even competitive with the Ducks.  

There's really not much one can say to dispute Forde's contention.  All UT can do is play its way back up the SEC food chain.  

Edit:  And one other comment - If Butch's players need something like that to motivate them, then things are a whole lot worse off than any of us realize.  Thinking that stuff like that can "motivate" players is pretty silly.  Words can't increase the talent level, and that's what UT is short on - not motivation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:23:24 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:15:42 EDT »

I suspect you are correct.

I haven't read anything today and only listened to Ainge a bit this morning, but my gut right now is telling me we're going to see Worley again on Saturday.  If not him, maybe Peterman.  I'll just be shocked if we roll out a true freshman in the swamp.  I just don't see how you can gameplan for UF AND groom a brand new QB all this week, I don't see how there's time to do both at all let alone effectively.
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:51 EDT »

Seeing different post from practice reports that Ferguson and Dobbs haven't taken snaps with the first team Offense. Idk the accuracy of these reports but food for thought.

GO VOLS!!!   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 05:45:57 EDT »

I think Arkansas is just as bad or worse than us, and I have no idea why Auburn coming off a 4-8 year when they were definitely even worse than us is in the second tier (their win over MSU not THAT impressive.

I happen to think Missouri is a bit worse than us, but if and until we beat them, they should be ahead of us.   

Lumping us alone with UK is ridiculous, but again, come November that likely will change.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:42 EDT »

I think Arkansas is just as bad or worse than us, and I have no idea why Auburn coming off a 4-8 year when they were definitely even worse than us is in the second tier (their win over MSU not THAT impressive.

I happen to think Missouri is a bit worse than us, but if and until we beat them, they should be ahead of us.   

Lumping us alone with UK is ridiculous, but again, come November that likely will change.

The fact is, Mizzou and Vandy beat us last year. We're going to have to earn back our respect

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:16:29 EDT »

The fact is, Mizzou and Vandy beat us last year. We're going to have to earn back our respect

yep

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: