VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 12:50:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So if it's possible to set aside our hatred for Lane Kiffin...  (Read 4757 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:00 EDT »

...is this guy as terrible at coaching football as he seems at first glance, or was he merely a victim of circumstance at SoCal?

I thought he lost his team last year and never got them back, even this year. It was apparently by the midway point of last season that he was not going to succeed at USC.

And, yet, he did a really nice job ON THE FIELD his single season at Tennessee. Don't get me wrong; I was happy to see him go and wouldn't take him back. His verbal diarrhea and his penchant for breaking NCAA rules assured that he would never be a long-termer in the SEC. While he settled down in both of those regards at SoCal (no taking pot-shots at rivals, no apparently NCAA rules-breaking), he was still a walking gaffe. In fact, he may have gotten WORSE in some regards. Some of those things -- staging a fake press conference, for example -- would have mortified me as a UT fan. He lost me after his Alshon gas-pumping comment, and IMO that paled in comparison to some of the things he pulled off in SoCal.

Still, he pretty much maximized the talent on that '09 team. We thoroughly whipped Georgia and South Carolina, had perhaps the best team Saban has ever fielded on the ropes, and Jonathan Crompton actually became a legitimate NFL Draft prospect. I know some of our fanbase's resident revisionist historians downplay that '09 team, but I'm pretty sure just about any UT fan would be happy to enjoy that same success again right now.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:03 EDT »

I really don't hate Lane Kiffin; don't much think about him.  I bought the hype early after he was hired -- pretty much took the bait, hook, line and sinker.  But, as the season progressed I came to really dislike a lot of what he was doing, as well as the attitude some fans and commentators took that the publicity generated by his wise-ass comments and actions was welcome and good for recruiting.  I didn't like the way he left, or how he left the next coach with a reduced talent level after his touted recruiting class disintegrated.  But, I could see why he would jump at the chance he got.  Life goes on.  Dooley was the anti-Kiffin but failed miserably.  I wish him no ill will either, but I hate the sorry talent level he left for the program and next coach.  Not sure which bothers me more.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:04 EDT »

...is this guy as terrible at coaching football as he seems at first glance, or was he merely a victim of circumstance at SoCal?

I thought he lost his team last year and never got them back, even this year. It was apparently by the midway point of last season that he was not going to succeed at USC.

And, yet, he did a really nice job ON THE FIELD his single season at Tennessee. Don't get me wrong; I was happy to see him go and wouldn't take him back. His verbal diarrhea and his penchant for breaking NCAA rules assured that he would never be a long-termer in the SEC. While he settled down in both of those regards at SoCal (no taking pot-shots at rivals, no apparently NCAA rules-breaking), he was still a walking gaffe. In fact, he may have gotten WORSE in some regards. Some of those things -- staging a fake press conference, for example -- would have mortified me as a UT fan. He lost me after his Alshon gas-pumping comment, and IMO that paled in comparison to some of the things he pulled off in SoCal.

Still, he pretty much maximized the talent on that '09 team. We thoroughly whipped Georgia and South Carolina, had perhaps the best team Saban has ever fielded on the ropes, and Jonathan Crompton actually became a legitimate NFL Draft prospect. I know some of our fanbase's resident revisionist historians downplay that '09 team, but I'm pretty sure just about any UT fan would be happy to enjoy that same success again right now.
How nice a job on the field can be debated.  The troubles with the NCAA that he and his staff left us with cannot be debated.
So the answer to your question would be NO!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:48:19 EDT »

I think due to the circumstances at USCw we'll never really know how well he could've done there.  But like Dooley, when you treat people the way they did there will be no one left in your corner when times get tough and you're in your hour of need.  His on the field results at TN in '09 were relatively impressive though, like you said.  Man, the more I look back on that year the more I remember how excited we all were.  What an all star recruiting staff he put together!  But then again on the other hand like Pirate said, too much baggage.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:36:04 EDT »

I heard it best on ESPN radio this afternoon...

Two guys were on the show and one asked the question why?

Why did Oakland hire him...why did Tennessee hire him....and why did USC hire him? He then said......."It's like a person was a member of the best 3 Rock Groups in music history and that person couldn't sing and couldn't play a instrument."

I bout drove off the road laughing when he said it.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:52:44 EDT »

Lane & Daddy should have stayed at UT. Lane could have actually built a resume. Now he could probably go there and succeed. The dimwits totally missed on the severity of the sanctions. All about timing. lol
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:39 EDT »

Yep....I wouldn't have wanted to follow Pete Carroll to begin with even without sanctions. He could have let someone else be the fall guy then go in there after the mess was cleaned up.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:16 EDT »

I really don't hate Lane Kiffin; don't much think about him.  I bought the hype early after he was hired -- pretty much took the bait, hook, line and sinker.  But, as the season progressed I came to really dislike a lot of what he was doing, as well as the attitude some fans and commentators took that the publicity generated by his wise-ass comments and actions was welcome and good for recruiting.  I didn't like the way he left, or how he left the next coach with a reduced talent level after his touted recruiting class disintegrated.  But, I could see why he would jump at the chance he got.  Life goes on.  Dooley was the anti-Kiffin but failed miserably.  I wish him no ill will either, but I hate the sorry talent level he left for the program and next coach.  Not sure which bothers me more.

Good post...hit the nail on the head.  Last coach with a winning record with no talent

Go Big Orange.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:31:52 EDT »

Every time I see Boyd score another touch down for Clemson, I dislike Kiffin a little more.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:30 EDT »

Every time I see Boyd score another touch down for Clemson, I dislike Kiffin a little more.

Yes...but I was told at the time that Boyd would never amount to anything in college anyway and we were better off without him.  Go figure.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:09:09 EDT »

Kiffins wins over USC and especially Uga were impressive and better than anything Dooley ever did.  However, I can't ignore that we probably should have beaten UCLA and Auburn that year.  I can maybe give him a pass for those two games being being early in the season, but the debacle at Ole Miss...there is no excuse for that, none whatever.  The reason IMO is the Pilot store fiasco, which although you can't control players, I find it ironic that Lane courted an outlaw image AND Nukeese Richardson was his star recruit that year, and Nukeese was in on the Pilot craziness.   That one incident pretty much summed up the Lane Kiffin era for me.  Finally I would be remiss not to mention the complete collapse in the bowl game.

In short, the season started slow,  had a couple bright spots in the middle but then when it ended we were headed in completely the wrong direction and I had little confidence in Lane at that point whether he left or not.  I was just thinking he would at least leave us stocked with talent when he did leave (though hoping for better).

Speaking of which, the 2009 team was just loaded compared to this year's and I think you have to factor that in as well.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:40 EDT »

I don't hate Lane "Out of Work" Kiffin....."I Pity da fool"

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: