VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 04:37:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the logic behind giving the other team the ball  (Read 2252 times)
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:43:41 EDT »

when it's a touchback? Seems like a pretty severe penalty. Can anybody that is more knowledgable about the rules enlighten me ?
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:50:32 EDT »

I don't know the reason behind the rule, I just know that it's the rule. I guess it's to prevent players from just fumbing intentionally into the end zone hoping that a teammate will recover it. If it wasn't a touchback there would be nothing to discourage that.
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:08:35 EDT »

It makes sense that you would want to prevent that, but isn't there a separate rule preventing the ball from being fumbled forward?
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:12:10 EDT »

There's a NFL rule about it but I don't know if there is a college rule.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 02:32:25 EDT »

I think it's a terrible rule and have always thought so

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:46:12 EDT »

It is the single stupidest rule in sports and No. 2 isn't even close. This isn't just sour grapes; anyone who watches football with me will tell you that I routinely gripe when it comes up. Matter of fact, some of my buddies and I were discussing it just last week. How on earth this one made it in the rule book, I'll never know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: