VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:13:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't our WRs block?  (Read 2741 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:33:24 EST »

Other team WRs block

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:39:16 EST »

I know that no one wants to hear this but, coaching.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:19:23 EST »

After watching the DVR recording of the game I note that the WRs are blocking better but nowhere near as consistent as they need to be.  On one of Dobbs' QB draws there was a very nice block by a WR, as was Croom's on Neals TD run.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12:31 EST »

If you recall, Zach Azzanni talked incessantly about this in the Spring. I don't think the previous staff coached WRs on blocking at all and it's been a point of emphasis both in coaching these guys up and in recruiting new WRs. Like anything else, it doesn't happen overnight.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 03:47:31 EST »

we don't have experienced WRs. Croom is the best blocker and he's a RS Fr. The rest of the guys making plays at WR are North, Smith, Pig. None are experienced.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:27 EST »

we don't have experienced WRs. Croom is the best blocker and he's a RS Fr. The rest of the guys making plays at WR are North, Smith, Pig. None are experienced.

We are nine game into a season, after a spring practice and fall practice where blocking was emphasized.  I would submit Pig has more experience than Croom. 
Our little slip/bubble screens have suffered from poor blocking all year.  Saturday was the first time we had half way decent blocks (though the best was a crushing block by Tiny on a corner) on the quick screens.  Part of the issue may be timing (seemed better the last two games ...) but a large part is poor blocking and an inability to sustain blocks.

To give one non screen example, against UGA Neal scores on the 4th down play with a good sustained block by the WR.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 04:08:36 EST »

Saturday was the first time we had half way decent blocks (though the best was a crushing block by Tiny on a corner) on the quick screens.  Part of the issue may be timing (seemed better the last two games ...) but a large part is poor blocking and an inability to sustain blocks.

So, we are making progress.  Good!  Hopefully it will continue.

If they want to know how to block, they should watch the tape of the Auburn WRs.  They blocked very well.  They had better, they don't have much else to do.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:55 EST »

So, we are making progress.  Good!  Hopefully it will continue.

If they want to know how to block, they should watch the tape of the Auburn WRs.  They blocked very well.  They had better, they don't have much else to do.   
Thus my post during the game Saturday.  There was a world of difference in blocking between the two teams.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: