VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 10:34:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I've decided that when the players practice offense in the offseason  (Read 4777 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:47:44 EST »

Cuonzo must punish them in some way for this transgression. Like, for each FT attempt a lashing. For each passing drill a shot from a taser. And they wouldn't dare practice running an actual play or the mechanics of a system, lest they be waterboarded.

Seriously . . . players that had their act together last February and March now look like they haven't played basketball in years. How on earth does that happen? Shouldn't skill improve in the offseason? It's as if Cuonzo breaks them down in camp and practice, and only through playing time-- rather than practice time-- do they build back up and figure out how to score baskets again. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:18:57 EST »

Last night was just disheartening. The past two years we've always used youth and inexperience as excuses. When the Vols scored 36 against Georgetown last year, we were excited that they only lost by one point on the road. When they stunk it up against Austin Peay two years ago, we shrugged and said they would get better.

This is one of the most talented teams that Tennessee has had in several years. Two of Pearl's teams may have been more talented, but this team is up there. It's usually dangerous to read too much into a single game, especially when it is the season opener, but last night's game looked like the same old song and dance. And obviously we all agree that the same old song and dance just won't cut it this year. Coaching searches are starting to make me weary but I fear we're going to be conducting another one in March.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 04:13:12 EST »

No excuses. This should be a team that has a lot of offense. The team should have gone to McRae in the second half, but they did not till late. That is poor coaching. The substitution patterns were bizarre. How does Jarnell Stokes totally become a non factor? How does Hubbs get zero points and hardly gets any looks? How do you start 5-23 from the field?

Even on defense we would look good for 25 seconds and then allow someone to drive in and get a layup or let a slow, unathletic guy repeatedly post up and get layups.

Free Throws.   

I'll keep watching, but I expect this team to win and win big, or CCM needs to be shown the door. No excuses. Too much talent, depth, and experience on this team to look like we did.

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:29:15 EST »

Last year the Vols started out really slow and started putting things together in the mid to late second half of the season. I agree, there is no excuse for this. If the Vols don't make the NCAA and perfrom realitively well then CCM should be shown the door.
Personally, I don't care what they heck people think, If CCM is put out to pasture then go get Bruce Pearl back. UT Basketball has not been the same with him gone, and it was not relevent before he was hired. Make it relevent again  bringing back Bruce.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:38 EST »

Last year the Vols started out really slow and started putting things together in the mid to late second half of the season. I agree, there is no excuse for this. If the Vols don't make the NCAA and perfrom realitively well then CCM should be shown the door.
Personally, I don't care what they heck people think, If CCM is put out to pasture then go get Bruce Pearl back. UT Basketball has not been the same with him gone, and it was not relevent before he was hired. Make it relevent again  bringing back Bruce.

A lot of people think that would be seen as "thumbing our nose" at the NCAA.  But considering the "punishment" (such as it is) that Frank Haith just got for far worse, I think we should do it- should it come to that, of course.

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:44 EST »

It just isn't gonna happen as long as Jimmy Cheek is on campus. I'm not sure it would ever happen anyway, even though there are some money people who would love to see BP back on the UT bench. But with Cheek around......
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:55:30 EST »

I'm convinced that Double Live Cuonzo is Wade Houston II - an incredibly good man who just isn't a very good basketball coach.  He's not the answer.

But neither is Bruce Pearl.  He's not coming back to coach at UT. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:03:46 EST »

Bruce Pearl would certainly be the answer...

However your second statement is correct, he is not coming back.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 05:19:31 EST »

maddening aspect is how we can't even make shots taken right UNDER THE BASKET!  Many times we don't even hit the frigging rim???? It's like they have no control of their muscles and nerves and their brain tells them "shoot" and their arm just makes an involuntary movement and the ball flies over the rim where the opponent rebounds it and gets a quick easy score on the other end. It's maddening. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 05:56:42 EST »

Stokes looks like a one legged man trying to ballroom dance when he takes it to the basket. He is no more under control now than what he was when he first arrived IMO.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:04:21 EST »

Stokes looks like a one legged man trying to ballroom dance when he takes it to the basket. He is no more under control now than what he was when he first arrived IMO.

He has regressed. Period. All of our "can't miss" recruits always seem to miss. We may limp into the NCAA, but it won't be in impressive fashion. Personally, I need to back away from UT sports for a while. Too damn depressing.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:15:14 EST »

maddening aspect is how we can't even make shots taken right UNDER THE BASKET!  Many times we don't even hit the frigging rim???? It's like they have no control of their muscles and nerves and their brain tells them "shoot" and their arm just makes an involuntary movement and the ball flies over the rim where the opponent rebounds it and gets a quick easy score on the other end. It's maddening. 

Yep.  That's what gets me, too.  We miss more layups/bunnies than does a middle school girls team.  It's just ugly to watch.

Can't remember which it was, but I heard one of the basketball "gurus" talking about Stokes this morning. He made the statement that while Stokes has worked on his body since he's been at UT that he isn't any better of a basketball player.  When you stop and think about it, that's probably pretty accurate. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 07:06:15 EST »

I'm convinced that Double Live Cuonzo is Wade Houston II - an incredibly good man who just isn't a very good basketball coach.  He's not the answer.

Whle Cuonzo is struggling to be sure, he is nowhere near as bad as Wade Houston.  I think you'd have to work really hard to find someone that bad again.  He set the standard for bad basketball coaching, one that I hope will remain untouched for as long as Tennessee plays basketball.   

Right now I would still rate Cuonzo above Buzz, but probably below Jerry Green, which is not that great.

I'll say this...the one thing I liked about the Xavier game was that we played hard down the stretch and finally started hitting some shots. 

There is a whole lot to be concerned about...but if the team would at least START the game with some offensive urgency and execution for a change, it would help tremendously.  Maybe they can pretend at tipoff that they are down 5 with 5 minutes left.  Then we might see some offense.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 07:17:06 EST »

So really, what is the difference between this offense and the offense Pearl ran where we stood around for 25 seconds and then waited on Smith to make a play?  It was maddening.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 09:03:37 EST »

I thought that thought too Pirate.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: