VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 03:18:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC 130H Spectre: The Final Chapter  (Read 4741 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:07:02 EST »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XRsYDYnv1rg#t=241" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/XRsYDYnv1rg#t=241</a>

They are, in reality, E model (1969) C-130s.  They got upgraded to H model designation at some point but the basic systems are still E model systems.  However, they can still put a 105 round up a gnat's ass, with room to spare. 

I spent a large part of my life flying on, modifying (at about the :30 and :35 second mark you can see the front eyes of and at the 2:02 minute mark, in the upper right, you can see the edge of my latest toy), testing and maintaining these old birds.  It will be a sad day when they are retired ... 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:14:01 EST »

When I was stationed in Okinawa we use to hop C-130 flights over to the Philippines for a little R&R.....and some other things.

I was in a Navy P-3 squadron stationed at Kadena AFB.
Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:56:11 EST »

When I was stationed in Okinawa we use to hop C-130 flights over to the Philippines for a little R&R.....and some other things.

I was in a Navy P-3 squadron stationed at Kadena AFB.

I was once in the Philippines on a "Space A" ticket over the holiday season;  I had an early Julian date, so we managed to get on a C-130 headed back to Okinawa, leaving a mob of similar travelers behind. When we got  to Okinawa, they were all waiting on us! A C-141 availability opened up just after we left Clark, and they all got on that bird and passed us up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:40:55 EST by Navol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:18 EST »

An amazing aircraft. I have seen the Spectre in action. It is an awe inspiring site. But not for the bad guys.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:17:52 EST »

I was once in the Philippines on a "Space A" ticket over the holiday season;  I had an early Julian date, so we managed to get on a C-130 headed back to Okinawa, leaving a mob of similar travelers behind. When we got  to Okinawa, they were all waiting on us! A C-140 availability opened up just after we left Clark, and they all got on that bird and passed us up.

I flew on C-141's all over the world courtesy of the U.S. Air Force....One fine flying aircraft.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:18:50 EST »

I flew on C-141's all over the world courtesy of the U.S. Air Force....One fine flying aircraft.
as long as the underfloor heat was working ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Navol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:10 EST »

as long as the underfloor heat was working ...

Roger that; I then flew all the way from Okinawa to Tokyo  on a frosty C-141 holding my feet up off the cabin floor!

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:37:29 EST »

I have some videos we shot with helmet cams about this time last year I will send you. Some A10 stuff as well if you are interested. good stuff......

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:18:00 EST »

So I guess they're turning it all over to the U's, right (at least until they figure out how to mount a 105 on a drone)?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:30:29 EST »

So I guess they're turning it all over to the U's, right (at least until they figure out how to mount a 105 on a drone)?
The U-Boats will carry the heavy load.

In the short term, the AC-130Ws (H2 slicks that were originally modified to be semi-Talons, that were then modified with a precision strike capability).  In the long term, AC-130Js.  At least initially the intent is to cross deck the precision strike across to the Js.
http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets/Display/tabid/224/Article/104485/ac-130w-stinger-ii.aspx
http://www.afsoc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123331866

AFSOC is recappitalizing to more or less an all C-130J fleet (except for the U-Boats).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:46:03 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:27:59 EST »

Me and my family flew from McGuire AFB to Torrejon AFB in Madrid back in the early 60's on a C-130.   Took about 16 hours with a stop to refuel in the Azore Islands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: