VTTW Board Index
July 05, 2024, 06:55:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow..UNC scandal  (Read 4153 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:12:59 EST »

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-02/the-scandal-bowl-tar-heels-football-academic-fraud-and-implicit-racism?campaign_id=yhoo
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:19:03 EST »

This is really old news.  This is the underling scandal that forced the resignations of the UNC coaching staff and part of the basketball scandal.
By all rational rights, UNC should have received a multiple year death penalty in multiple sports, including football and basketball from the NCAA due to a complete and utter lack of institutional control.
UNC came very close to be discredited academically over this.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:11 EST »

The Tarhells are a fraud.

Go Dook!   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:09:49 EST »

Agree on the first part Herb. On the second...have you lost your mind?

*I pull for Cutcliffe, but refuse to cheer for the team that gave us Laetner.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:37:49 EST »

Agree on the first part Herb. On the second...have you lost your mind?

Many would probably tell you that I have no mind to have lost in the first place.

My Dook basketball fandom goes back to my college days in the mid/late 70s, first at a juco in North Carolina, and then at Western Carolina University.  Most of my baseball team mates were either UNC or NC State fans, and of course I had to find a way to be the contrarian that I naturally am, so I started pulling for Dook just to be different.  Dook had a pretty solid program even then.  Bill Foster was the coach at the time, and some of his players back then included Mike Gminiski, Jim Spnarkle, Kenny Dennard, just to name a few.  I saw several games, the first of probably 20 in my lifetime, at Cameron Idoor, during that era.

I continued to be a Dook fan after Coach K came and the incredible run began. 

Coach K and Bobby Knight haven't forgotten their West Point roots, by the way.  Every year they both return to The Academy for a leadership seminar for a small group of Cadets.  My son was one of those who had the opportunity to be in one of those small groups during his Firstie (senior) year at West Point and loved every second of it.  He still gets handwritten notes from both Coach K and Coach Knight several times a year, even now 6 years later.  Say what you will about both of them, but I think highly of both of them, and especially Coack K. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:45:20 EST »

Many would probably tell you that I have no mind to have lost in the first place.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:40:00 EST »

I'll give you that Herb.    I have issues,  so I'm still stuck on Laetner's antics.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:17:18 EST »

Coach K and Bobby Knight haven't forgotten their West Point roots, by the way.  Every year they both return to The Academy for a leadership seminar for a small group of Cadets.  My son was one of those who had the opportunity to be in one of those small groups during his Firstie (senior) year at West Point and loved every second of it.  He still gets handwritten notes from both Coach K and Coach Knight several times a year, even now 6 years later.  Say what you will about both of them, but I think highly of both of them, and especially Coack K. 

Wow, that is impressive. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:45 EST »

The sad part is that I am sure that UNC is not the only school that uses practices similar to this. They are doing these kids no favor by doing this. Of course, how many of these athlete's have the aptitude for any school to begin with? I see some of them talk to reporters after games, and I just think to myself" Yep, that's a college grad for sure".

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: