VTTW Board Index
May 23, 2024, 05:15:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas all voted in to the baseball HOF.  (Read 3682 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:42 EST »

Craig Biggio missed by 2 tenths of a percentage point of inclusion on the necessary 75% of ballots. 

Maddux just missed Tom Seaver's all time high percentage of 98.2%.  He was included on 97.4% of the ballots cast. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:12:22 EST »

One guy wouldn't vote for Maddux because "he played in the steroid era" and he wasn't going to vote for anyone that played during that era. He didn't bother to consider that there was never a hint that Maddux did PEDs and that he actually had a great record pitching against guys who did do PEDs. Idiot.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:27:31 EST »

One guy wouldn't vote for Maddux because "he played in the steroid era" and he wasn't going to vote for anyone that played during that era. He didn't bother to consider that there was never a hint that Maddux did PEDs and that he actually had a great record pitching against guys who did do PEDs. Idiot.

Yep.  I saw that.  I had the same exact thought that you did.

And at 6' and 170, I don't think anybody with half a brain would accuse Maddux of juicing. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:03 EST »

I've long thought that the HOF has become way too watered-down.  If it were up to me, there would probably be 50 guys in right now, tops.  Maddux, however, would make my cut.  I can't imagine a good reason for anyone to leave him off their ballot.  But if guys like Ruth, Gherig, Mays, and Aaron couldn't get a unanimous vote, I guess no one ever will. 

Any other year, I'm not sure that Glavine would've made it on his first try.  But with he and Maddux pretty much synonymous with each other, it was just too good of a story for them not to go in together.  And don't forget, Bobby Cox is also going in with them.  I've always said that I'd wait until Dale Murphy was inducted to make my first trip to Cooperstown.  But that's now a longshot, if it ever happens at all.  I'm going to try to get up there this summer. 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:06:09 EST »

Disagree on Glavine, BDV.  He is a 300 game winner at 305-203 and a lifetime ERA of 3.54.  300 wins is one of those "automatics" that bring with it HOF status.  He's a first ballot hall of famer on his own, in my opinion. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:19:16 EST »

Disagree on Glavine, BDV.  He is a 300 game winner at 305-203 and a lifetime ERA of 3.54.  300 wins is one of those "automatics" that bring with it HOF status.  He's a first ballot hall of famer on his own, in my opinion. 
he took the ball every day for about 18 years, as did Mad Dog

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:21:04 EST »

Oh, I definitely think he would've made it eventually, probably even next year.  But there have been a lot of great players who didn't get in on the first ballot.  

I'm not complaining, I'm glad he made it.  Too bad Smoltz hung around for another year after those two retired- it would've been awesome to see all three of those guys go in together.  And I think he's definitely a guy who would've benefited from the "coattail effect", because I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot.  But with 200+ wins and 150+ saves, he should make it at some point.

CornFromAJar
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:55 EST »

Oh, I definitely think he would've made it eventually, probably even next year.  But there have been a lot of great players who didn't get in on the first ballot.  

I'm not complaining, I'm glad he made it.  Too bad Smoltz hung around for another year after those two retired- it would've been awesome to see all three of those guys go in together.  And I think he's definitely a guy who would've benefited from the "coattail effect", because I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot.  But with 200+ wins and 150+ saves, he should make it at some point.

Didn't Smoltz come close to winning 30 games one season in the late 1990s? Starter or reliever, he was pretty dominant. Well worth the trade for Doyle Alexander (hindsight is 20/20). I hope he's elected on the first ballot.

I'm glad Maddux and Glavine made on the first ballot, although had Glavine been elected on a later ballot it probably wouldn't have been a surprise.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:08:14 EST »

Smoltz will be tricky because I think he compares unfavorably to the one HOFer that he can logically be compared to-- Dennis Eckersley. He falls short if you compare him to other starters or if you compare him to other closers, so Eckersley is  one of the few HOFers who can set any kind of standard for comparison. Smoltz did win a Cy Young award as a starter, but was not really a top starting pitcher for the bulk of his career-- just a handful of really good seasons (which Eck also had, though never a Cy Young). While he was a very good closer for the short time he did that, was not as dominant in that role as Eckersley and a few others have been, and certainly not over a long period of time. He was also never an MVP.

He's not a first ballot guy, IMO, though I wouldn't be shocked at all if he eventually got in.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:50:42 EST »

Smoltz will be tricky because I think he compares unfavorably to the one HOFer that he can logically be compared to-- Dennis Eckersley. He falls short if you compare him to other starters or if you compare him to other closers, so Eckersley is  one of the few HOFers who can set any kind of standard for comparison. Smoltz did win a Cy Young award as a starter, but was not really a top starting pitcher for the bulk of his career-- just a handful of really good seasons (which Eck also had, though never a Cy Young). While he was a very good closer for the short time he did that, was not as dominant in that role as Eckersley and a few others have been, and certainly not over a long period of time. He was also never an MVP.

He's not a first ballot guy, IMO, though I wouldn't be shocked at all if he eventually got in.

We'll have to disagree on that CO.  I think he will be a first ballot HOFer. 

213 wins, 154 saves,and a lifetime 3.33 ERA in the juiced hitter era are more than good enough to get him there on the first ballot, in my opinion.

Guess we'll find out a year from today. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:03:49 EST »

The X factor for Smoltz, an area where he compares favorably to Eck (and even Maddux and Glavine, FTM) is the postseason.  I think Pettite surpassed him a couple years ago, but for a while there, he was the winningest postseason pitcher of all time.  I think that's what will eventually put him over the top with HOF voters.  But like you, I don't think he'll make it on the first ballot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: