VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 05:15:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got a tweet...Kiffin to bammer!  (Read 16423 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:04 EST »

O.M.F.G.  Can't wait till October.  I'm already going to plan to be at the game.  This is EPIC!  Welcome back to Knoxville, you fizzleing d-bag!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:22 EST »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10275677/lane-kiffin-hired-alabama-crimson-tide-offensive-coordinator

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:41:50 EST »

I've always said that when I win the lottery, I won't quit my job.  I'll keep going in to work and fizzle up every day, just to see how much it takes to get fired.  Maybe Saban is doing the same thing here.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 11:45:30 EST »

I've always said that when I win the lottery, I won't quit my job.  I'll keep going in to work and fizzle up every day, just to see how much it takes to get fired.  Maybe Saban is doing the same thing here.

It almost seems that way.  I think maybe Haden allowed Kiffin to stay at USC to be the scapegoat for probation.  Maybe Saban is planning his exit, and will blame Kiffin on the way out.   Who knows....

But what IS IT about Kiffin that he keeps getting high profile jobs?  LOL!  What does he DO in those interviews?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:58:18 EST »

rofl
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:20:30 EST »

Why are TN fans happy about this?  Guys a bright and experienced offensive mind and a great recruiter.  Many TN fans hate him but what does that mean?  He'll be in the booth, are we gonna boo at the booth?  He may not be HC material but I think this is a great hire for them.  Not good news for us.
VOLveeta
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:25:24 EST »

Why are TN fans happy about this?  Guys a bright and experienced offensive mind and a great recruiter.  Many TN fans hate him but what does that mean?  He'll be in the booth, are we gonna boo at the booth?  He may not be HC material but I think this is a great hire for them.  Not good news for us.

All I know is, wherever he's been, he's been removed quickly and only once did he leave by his own choice, ahem.  Nothing about his track record suggests to me that he will ever actually be successful.  That doesn't mean he won't but there are A LOT of people out there that would bum me out if Bama hired them FAR more than Lane.  At this point, all his "he's good at...." have yet to pan out to anything but a lousy legacy.  Maybe Saban can put a leash on him and get him to focus.  But in my mind, the only victory I saw from Kiffin, was getting the most out of Crompton.  Otherwise, his "stellar" recruits were almost universally busts.

CORRECTION... he did leave USC for Oakland by his own choice so actually that's twice by his own choice.  My bad.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:39:29 EST by VOLveeta » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:10 EST »

Great recruiter, possibly.  experienced mind, yes, bright, not so much.

If you think he is bright, consider how poorly SCw's offense performed under his guidance and how much better is did once he was kicked off the bus.
Schematically he is pretty good.  Game day, no nearly as much.

Besides, it is worth the price of popcorn to watch how the undisciplined lame works with the short dictator.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 12:28:10 EST »

Why are TN fans happy about this?  Guys a bright and experienced offensive mind and a great recruiter.  Many TN fans hate him but what does that mean?  He'll be in the booth, are we gonna boo at the booth?  He may not be HC material but I think this is a great hire for them.  Not good news for us.

I'm not sold on him being a great hire but I completely agree that UT fans reveling in this news are being a little over-reactionary. In fact, they may change their tune if Kiffin flips a high-profile commitment from us to Bama between now and NSD. He's an excellent recruiter if nothing else. He's also a solid OC, very good QB coach . . . all of those things point to this being a huge hire for Alabama. The reason I'm not sold on it is because he has too long a history of thumbing his nose at NCAA recruiting rules and I do not think he and Saban can get along long without there being turmoil in Tuscaloosa.

But with that said, I think making the argument that Kiffin didn't do a good job in his stint as OC at USC is revisionist history. If Kiffin is able to ditch the personality baggage he hauls around with him and just be the offensive mind that he's capable of being, this is a very good hire for Alabama and beating them (on the field or on the recruiting trail) just became more difficult for Tennessee. Will that happen? Only time will tell. But I hardly think the guy who is among the top three coaches to ever coach the game of football (Bryant, Neyland, Saban) suddenly became an idiot.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:32:22 EST »

I'm not sold on him being a great hire but I completely agree that UT fans reveling in this news are being a little over-reactionary. In fact, they may change their tune if Kiffin flips a high-profile commitment from us to Bama between now and NSD. He's an excellent recruiter if nothing else. He's also a solid OC, very good QB coach . . . all of those things point to this being a huge hire for Alabama. The reason I'm not sold on it is because he has too long a history of thumbing his nose at NCAA recruiting rules and I do not think he and Saban can get along long without there being turmoil in Tuscaloosa.

But with that said, I think making the argument that Kiffin didn't do a good job in his stint as OC at USC is revisionist history. If Kiffin is able to ditch the personality baggage he hauls around with him and just be the offensive mind that he's capable of being, this is a very good hire for Alabama and beating them (on the field or on the recruiting trail) just became more difficult for Tennessee. Will that happen? Only time will tell. But I hardly think the guy who is among the top three coaches to ever coach the game of football (Bryant, Neyland, Saban) suddenly became an idiot.

Exactly,we may not like Saban but he won 3 Nat'l Titles in four years.  He's not stupid.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 01:08:20 EST »

Sitting here with the son n law, and he's said almost the same as you. You two are making me feel better about this. He is a d-bag, but since Saban doesn't allow the assistants to speak to the media except maybe twice a year he will be out-of-site, and out-of-mind. I can't stand listening or looking at him but he is a good OC. As far as potential turmoil, if there is any, it won't last long. Kiffin knows this too, as Saban will kick him to the door in no time if gets out of line. Maybe he might learn how to be a head coach. He better be all ears and no mouth.

Like I said, I won't have to listen or see him. He makes me sick, but if Nick Saban wants him he know what's best and I don't.

BG
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:22:32 EST by BGHarper » Logged
CONSIGLIEREG8R
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 01:09:24 EST »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 01:20:40 EST »

I wasn't impressed with him at UT.  For instance, having Lincoln try a 43 yard FG against bammer after letting over a minute run off the clock, when Lincoln had been inconsistent beyond 40 all season, and in fact, on that day, was 0-2 from beyond 40 and 2-2 inside of 40.

Or the time we played Auburn, who had the worst run D in the SEC, ran for 52 yards on one play for a first and 10 at the Auburn 12, only to try 3 straight passes with CROMPTON?  And this was BEFORE Crompton improved!

And I could cite other examples.

As for his success as OC at USC, when he was the OC for the 2005-06 seasons, he inherited an absolute machine from Norm Chow.  And a lot of people think Sarkisian, who was the QB coach, had as much to do with USC's success in 05-06 as Kiffin.

But never mind all that...all you have to do is look at the horrible SC offense the last two years.  Last year, even with Barkley coming back, they were average on offense at best.   40th in the country, in fact.   And this year?  Prior to him getting fired, they were only averaging 23 points a game through five games, including  41 in the  62-41 loss to ASU that got him fired.  23 points in the country interestingly would be 96th....one slot below us.   

And to add to that, my best friend from college lives in LA now, and he says all the USC fans were complaining about the USC offense the last two years, saying it was stale and predictable.

Kiffin might just come in and do a great job, but I will be really surpised if he does. Who will be his QB?  As for his adding to their recruiting success...uh, they don't need any help.  It's already tops in the country for a record 5 years in a row.  But heck...he might just finally get them CAUGHT.   

Finally...I am thrilled because it gives us a chance to humliate the arsehole when he plays us.   I wasn't exactly planning to yell at him in the booth, it just makes the game much more interesting...for me.

I do believe he isa big, scratch that, HUGE step down from Nussmeir, but that's just MO.  We will find out soon enough....

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 01:32:09 EST »

This is a great hire by Bama and he's a recruiting fool. As far as his offense at USC...the last time I checked they averaged over 30 points per game and around 500 yards per game. Not too shabby.

And this pretty sum up how lucky Kiffin is:

God ‏@TheTweetOfGod 7m
If Lane Kiffin keeps failing upwards like this he's going to end up with My job.
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 01:59:06 EST »

I have ALWAYS hated Bama.  But nothing compares to how I hate them now.  I have begrudgingly respected them the last few years but they are now Public Enemy Number One times infinity.

Screw this wait until 2015 crap.  Its time for us to go on our streak.  In all honesty I wasn't really hyped about next year but this puts it in another perspective entirely.  Its time to put our foot on their crimson throat and press hard.  Jones and his bunch had their introduction to the SEC this year.  Play time is OVER.  If we can't out-talent them, we must out-scheme them.  Nothing less than Bama's TOTAL decimation will do now. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 02:55:37 EST »

Kiffin has a good track record as an OC...but I think his star has dimmed in recruiting, not that it matters much at Bama these days. He has good offensive schemes, knows how to develop QBs... but as a play caller I think he is suspect, and very conservative. Maybe that is what Saban wants...who knows.

IMO Saban is using Kiffin to land 5 star QB Ricky Town in the 2015 class, out of California - a kid who has a long relationship with Kiffin and is an absolute baller.

Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 02:56:51 EST »

This is funny to me on some many levels, but mainly due to the fact this enforces that the University of Alabama will do whatever possible to win football games regardless of morales, standards or the image of the university.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 04:06:20 EST »

I don't get the hire for a couple of reasons:

1.) Lane likes to pop off to the media any chance he gets and now he is working for a control freak.  I just don't see how that works.
2.) Lane has proved time and time again, he thumbs his nose at the NCAA rule book.....and now is working for a school that has shown countless times they don't know how to follow rules either.  SOunds like a marriage made in heaven to me.
3.) Lane has said he wants to run a high powered offense...that isn't what Saban runs. Saban likes to run between the tackles and play defense.

I have a really good friend that is a Bama fan and he doesn't understand this hire either.  Wasn't he co-OC at USC with Steve?  I don't know how good his recruiting is....I never thought he was a good spot of talent.  He told Boyd to look else where.  He told Bruce Petty to look else where.  Several others that turned out to be studs for other schools and Lane said they weren't good for UT.  The ones he did bring to knoxville turned out to be head cases.  And like another poster said, Bama doesn't need help on the recruiting end...they get all the 5 stars they want.  To me, this is a head scratcher....why bring in someone that has alot of baggage and alot of problems EVERYWHERE he has been?  You are Bama and you could have anyone you wanted. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 06:21:35 EST »

I have ALWAYS hated Bama.  But nothing compares to how I hate them now.  I have begrudgingly respected them the last few years but they are now Public Enemy Number One times infinity.

Screw this wait until 2015 crap.  Its time for us to go on our streak.  In all honesty I wasn't really hyped about next year but this puts it in another perspective entirely.  Its time to put our foot on their crimson throat and press hard.  Jones and his bunch had their introduction to the SEC this year.  Play time is OVER.  If we can't out-talent them, we must out-scheme them.  Nothing less than Bama's TOTAL decimation will do now. 

Zigzactly 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:47 EST »

I don't get the hire for a couple of reasons:

1.) Lane likes to pop off to the media any chance he gets and now he is working for a control freak.  I just don't see how that works.
2.) Lane has proved time and time again, he thumbs his nose at the NCAA rule book.....and now is working for a school that has shown countless times they don't know how to follow rules either.  SOunds like a marriage made in heaven to me.
3.) Lane has said he wants to run a high powered offense...that isn't what Saban runs. Saban likes to run between the tackles and play defense.

I have a really good friend that is a Bama fan and he doesn't understand this hire either.  Wasn't he co-OC at USC with Steve?  I don't know how good his recruiting is....I never thought he was a good spot of talent.  He told Boyd to look else where.  He told Bruce Petty to look else where.  Several others that turned out to be studs for other schools and Lane said they weren't good for UT.  The ones he did bring to knoxville turned out to be head cases.  And like another poster said, Bama doesn't need help on the recruiting end...they get all the 5 stars they want.  To me, this is a head scratcher....why bring in someone that has alot of baggage and alot of problems EVERYWHERE he has been?  You are Bama and you could have anyone you wanted. 

A couple Auburn fans I know are pretty happy about the hire.   I have only heard from one bammer fan buddy so far.  This is a guy, one of the few, that actually admits they were cheating with Albert Means. Says Dubose was an idjut and ran the program in the ditch.  Has been right about quite a few things over the years.

He emailed this link to me earlier today, says it's his reaction.   

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3wBC3RS9BXk/T6VUfOr5whI/AAAAAAAABG8/EGULByvyshE/s1600/jumping-out-of-window.gif

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 02:47:09 EST »

I wish him the same success he had at UT, both in recruiting and public relations.

I am anxious to see how Slive reacts to this. I am guessing he will be ok with him now. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 03:33:14 EST »

I wasn't impressed with him at UT.  For instance, having Lincoln try a 43 yard FG against bammer after letting over a minute run off the clock, when Lincoln had been inconsistent beyond 40 all season, and in fact, on that day, was 0-2 from beyond 40 and 2-2 inside of 40.

Or the time we played Auburn, who had the worst run D in the SEC, ran for 52 yards on one play for a first and 10 at the Auburn 12, only to try 3 straight passes with CROMPTON?  And this was BEFORE Crompton improved!

Auburn alone was not the worst...He stunk it up playcalling during the UCLA game the second week of the season.  Kiffin has all this "regalia" of being an Offensive mastermind when he is basically gotten to this stage by his relationships to other coaches.  First of all he was a co OC with Sark at USC and Sark was obviously the mastermind behind the offense not Kiffinator.  His offenses at Oakland during his aborted installment as a NFL Coach were  atrocious (and blamedon the 'lack of playmakers' - perhaps it was lack of Offensive playcalling).  His playcalling at UT at times was pitiful in that Neyland always said "if something is working it aint broke so don't try to fix it. Run the play until they stop you."  Kiffin would get a play that would get twenty yards but would then go and try to do the thing that was totally opposite and had not worked previously.  I call that the Bang Your Head on the Wall Syndrome.  

During the bowl game against VT he was totally outgunned as an offensive coach.    VT's DC waxed him so hard it was like Mr Miyagi with Wax On Wax Off.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:35:31 EST by EmerilVOL » Logged

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 03:49:30 EST »

Not revisionist at all with regards to being the OC at SCW (the 1st time), as long as you agree that he was NOT the sole OC, and the current head coach at SCW was ALSO the OC and perhaps the driving force, considering the issues that lame has had subsequently.  The 2nd time just look at the failures in the first half of the season this year and the total collapse of last year.  One example from a couple of years ago:  8 plays from inside the 5 and ZERO (0) TD, with some bizarre play calling included.

Lame has a reputation as a guru that is NOT matched by actual performance on the field, including his time on the Hill.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 06:01:22 EST »

I see Kiffin as a good hire FOR BAMA. He is great recruiter, he has a good offensive mind to be an effective OC. He is obviously very good at handling young QB's. I think this is the main reason they hired him. They will be breaking in new QB's and he fits the bill perfectly. Plus from what I saw at UT, the kids really liked to play for him. I for one liked the swagger he brought to UT. But that's about it. The slime factor also figures in.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 06:39:13 EST »

Everyone keeps saying that he's some kind of QB guru, I guess because of what he did with Crompton.  Well, maybe Crompton was the rare personality that meshes well with him.  Maybe he responded more to Chaney's coaching than Kiffin's.  I have no idea, but other than that one example, name a QB who prospered and/or improved under Kiffin's leadership.  Leinart?  Kiffin coached TEs and WRs at USC for his first four years.  Only in his senior season was Kiffin promoted to OC, and even then he was only the Co-OC with Sarkisian, and Sark was also Leinart's position coach (in fact, Kiffin has never held the position of QB coach before now).  At Oakland, he coached Jamarcus Russell, who will be remembered as one of the great NFL draft busts of all time. When Kiffin returned to USC, he transformed Matt Barkley, who was on track under Carol to become one of the greatest college QBs ever and a sure fire #1 draft pick, into a virtual nobody and a 4th round pick.  He's currently warming the bench as Philly's 3rd stringer.  And after Barkley left USC, well, who the hell WAS his replacement?  Can you name him?  I can't.  Enough said.

Recruiting?  Maybe he still has some clout out west, but the Kiffin name is mud in these parts.  After he left UT, he never personally recruited the South.  Why do you think he hired Tee Martin?  Oh, and again, while at UT he RUNNOFT both Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty, which doesn't exactly speak well of him as an evaluator of talent.  And let's not even bring up all the thugs he recruited who flunked out/had legal issues/whatever and left well before their four years were up.  You can bring in all the talent in the world, but if you can't keep them in school, what good does it do?

I think a lot of you just look at Saban as some kind of omnipotent God-like figure who is incapable of making mistakes, and think that if he sees something in Kiffin, then there must really be something there under the empty visor.  But I remind you again- Saban also hired Derek Dooley and Will Muschamp, and those guys aren't exactly coaching legends in the making.  But apparently Saban saw something in them.  Saban was dead wrong.

Oh, bammer will beat UT again next season, and probably the year after that.  And a lot of people will point to that as "vindication" for Kiffin, proof that he knows what he's doing.  Bullshizzle.  Bammer was going to beat us with or without him.  In fact, they'll probably beat us in spite of him.  The talent differential is that great.  

I don't know how long kiffin will stay at bammer.  But if it's anything more than a year or two, then trust me- he WILL do some damage to that program.  It may not take THAT long.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:18:56 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: