VTTW Board Index
July 08, 2024, 10:45:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If there was any doubt that James Franklin is a scumbag...  (Read 10284 times)
Creek Walker
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:51:46 EST »

...Two Vandy commitments flipped to Penn State today.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:53:53 EST »

...Two Vandy commitments flipped to Penn State today.

What was it Franklin once said about a few recruits that flipped their commitments?  Oh yeah- "They weren't men of integrity, or men of honor".

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:57:16 EST »

What was it Franklin once said about a few recruits that flipped their commitments?  Oh yeah- "They weren't men of integrity, or men of honor".
Can't believe I had forgotten that!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:00 EST »

I am hoping UT can get Michael Sawyers to flip from Vandy to the Vols.  He plays a definite position of need, and from the folks in Middle Tennessee whom I have talked with and seen him play fairly often he is the kind of kid who can step in and play immediately. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:57:41 EST »

And I just saw that Vandy DC Bob Shoop is going to Penn State with PH, and he has been a heck of a recruiter for Vandy.  If Herb Hand goes with PH, too, Vandy will have lost its two best recruiters. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:39 EST »

Can't believe I had forgotten that!

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/02/10/vanderbilt-coach-elaborates-on-controversial-comments-on-de-commitments-and-the-uga-recruit-that-flipped/

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:05:27 EST »

And I'm not going to point fingers at PH on this one, by the way.  Every coach who moves recruits players to his new school that he did the old.  Butch did it. 

And yes, I understand what PH said in the past, but as they say nothing is out of bounds when it comes to recruiting. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:08:41 EST »

And I'm not going to point fingers at PH on this one, by the way.  Every coach who moves recruits players to his new school that he did the old.  Butch did it. 

And yes, I understand what PH said in the past, but as they say nothing is out of bounds when it comes to recruiting. 

OK, what does PH stand for?  Penis Head?

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:09:29 EST »

what a load of bullshizzle. Kids have the right to decommit, just as much as a school has the right to pull a scholly. It works both ways, and is the nature of the business, at every school.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:10:30 EST »

OK, what does PH stand for?  Penis Head?

Co-wrecked. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 07:10:48 EST »

Co-wrecked. 

Nice.  In Franklin's case, it works in both a figurative AND literal sense.

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:09:19 EST »

Big difference. Dylan Wiesman and A.J. Branisel did not commit to Tennessee until weeks after Jones was hired, and in the case of Wiesman he had actually been decommitted from Cincy for weeks before making the commitment to UT. Also, both Wiesman and Branisel had standing offers from Tennessee that Dooley & staff had offered them. Branisel went on record to say that he had been wavering on his commitment to UC even before Jones left.

Do I like it? Not necessarily, but there's a quantum difference between that and two commitments flipping from one school to another within 24 hours of the head coach changing schools. It doesn't take much imagination to believe that Franklin spoke to those guys about going to Penn State while he was still being paid by Vandy. Then when you consider that we're in an NCAA-imposed dead period that isn't lifted until Jan. 15 and you really have to question whether Franklin committed a violation. Actually, you don't have to question it at all. It's pretty damned obvious that he did.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 09:11:42 EST »

Big difference. Dylan Wiesman and A.J. Branisel did not commit to Tennessee until weeks after Jones was hired, and in the case of Wiesman he had actually been decommitted from Cincy for weeks before making the commitment to UT. Also, both Wiesman and Branisel had standing offers from Tennessee that Dooley & staff had offered them. Branisel went on record to say that he had been wavering on his commitment to UC even before Jones left.

Do I like it? Not necessarily, but there's a quantum difference between that and two commitments flipping from one school to another within 24 hours of the head coach changing schools. It doesn't take much imagination to believe that Franklin spoke to those guys about going to Penn State while he was still being paid by Vandy. Then when you consider that we're in an NCAA-imposed dead period that isn't lifted until Jan. 15 and you really have to question whether Franklin committed a violation. Actually, you don't have to question it at all. It's pretty damned obvious that he did.

Don't buy that at all.  Verbals are just that - verbals.  There's nothing binding until the first Wednesday of February.  Is it shady?  Yeah, but it's happened with UT as assistants have been hired, too.  That finger pointing is hypocritical and misguided, in my opinion.  Every school has been guilty of it at one time or another.   

The dead period really isn't a dead period.  That's a no in person contact period, but if a recruit initiates the contact it is allowed.  And with social media, there is basically no dead period period any longer. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:53:29 EST »

Don't buy that at all.  Verbals are just that - verbals.  There's nothing binding until the first Wednesday of February.  Is it shady?  Yeah, but it's happened with UT as assistants have been hired, too.  That finger pointing is hypocritical and misguided, in my opinion.  Every school has been guilty of it at one time or another.   

The dead period really isn't a dead period.  That's a no in person contact period, but if a recruit initiates the contact it is allowed.  And with social media, there is basically no dead period period any longer. 

Exactly.

None of which changes the fact that PH is a scumbag on general principle.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:53:59 EST »

It’s not uncommon for schools to lose recruits when a coach leaves, but what’s happening to Vanderbilt 23 days before signing day is not normal.

Two Vanderbilt commitments now say they are going to Penn State, and Franklin has offered scholarships to at least six others.

“I’ve never seen it in this volume, quite this fast, of someone trying to pillage their own commitment class for their new job,” said Jesse Johnson of Rivals recruiting site VandySports.com.

“Normally, you’re going to have staffs take some kids. But I don’t think I’ve seen many cases where it seems like the entire class is trying to be taken to the next job.”

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140112/SPORTS0602/301120105?sf21589744=1
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:27 EST »

I never had any doubts.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 06:23:00 EST »

I said and posted on other sites the first season he was hired at Vandy that Franklin wouldn't be the coach at Vandy when they kicked off the 2014 season. The first good chance JF would get he would disappear from West End. Some Vandy fan friends laughed at me.

What's funny is reading the Vandy board the past couple of days and they have really turned on Franklin. One main thing over there is what Franklin said about losing some recruits that had committed to Vandy and then signed elsewhere...Franklin said those recruits were not men of honor for changing. Now Franklin is poaching kids that had committed to Vandy to now come to Penn State.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:57 EST »

I said and posted on other sites the first season he was hired at Vandy that Franklin wouldn't be the coach at Vandy when they kicked off the 2014 season. The first good chance JF would get he would disappear from West End. Some Vandy fan friends laughed at me.

What's funny is reading the Vandy board the past couple of days and they have really turned on Franklin. One main thing over there is what Franklin said about losing some recruits that had committed to Vandy and then signed elsewhere...Franklin said those recruits were not men of honor for changing. Now Franklin is poaching kids that had committed to Vandy to now come to Penn State.

Certainly the fact that he ran his mouth about "men of honor" opens him up to being called a hypocrite...among other things.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: