VTTW Board Index
June 26, 2024, 08:54:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off topic..... Anyone know a GOOD place for lunch in Huntville?  (Read 2847 times)
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:03:42 EST »

No cafeteria, no food from a can, but a good place with made-to-order food would be nice. Well now that I give it deeper thought, I might need to get a hotel down there as well and one with a bar would be a nice touch! I have lot of work to do in town there this week and Karen is off Wednesday, so it might be a good time to give her a road trip! If we left tomorrow after she gets off work, we could settle in before 8 and have dinner, a drink or two........ work all day Wednesday and be done.

I like to use Hotwire and I'll check that, but anyone's good suggestions are appreciatied. Thanks!

GreggO
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:00:54 EST »

No cafeteria, no food from a can, but a good place with made-to-order food would be nice. Well now that I give it deeper thought, I might need to get a hotel down there as well and one with a bar would be a nice touch! I have lot of work to do in town there this week and Karen is off Wednesday, so it might be a good time to give her a road trip! If we left tomorrow after she gets off work, we could settle in before 8 and have dinner, a drink or two........ work all day Wednesday and be done.

I like to use Hotwire and I'll check that, but anyone's good suggestions are appreciatied. Thanks!

GreggO

BBQ - Shane's Rib Shack
Plate Lunch - Blue Plate Diner
Mexican - Phil Sandoval's
Burgers and Tacos - Shaggy's

Just a few suggestions.

Wherever you go, there you are.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:39 EST »

BBQ - Shane's Rib Shack
Plate Lunch - Blue Plate Diner
Mexican - Phil Sandoval's
Burgers and Tacos - Shaggy's

Just a few suggestions.

Most appreciated. Things came up and we didn't get away tonight, but we are heading out in the morning. I like the sound of Shane's as I ready for bed, but I will keep Shaggy's in mind as well. Miss K does love the ribs!

Thanks again,

GreggO
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:48 EST »

Shanes is good

If you want to try German, Ole Heidelberg has a good lunch

Tims Cajun Kitchen is good cajun food

Rosies is another good Mexican place

Duffs is a nice sandwich shop near downtown

Hope you have a good time in Huntsivlle

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:16:03 EST »

Most appreciated. Things came up and we didn't get away tonight, but we are heading out in the morning. I like the sound of Shane's as I ready for bed, but I will keep Shaggy's in mind as well. Miss K does love the ribs!

Thanks again,

GreggO

Greggo, give us a trip report when you can.

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:58 EST »

Greggo, give us a trip report when you can.

We ate at Shane's. I showed Karen the suggestions here and it was no surprise to me when she said she wanted ribs. We both had a half rack of babybacks. Karen had slaw and fries as her two sides and I chose baked beans and fries. The ribs were really good; they were pre-sauced and carmelized over the grill. No extra sauce was needed, but we did try all four they had on the table (our #1 was the spicy and #2 carolina, #3 regular and #4 honey). Their hot sauce was a cayenne base with a sweetness to it; interesting and a nice change, but no match for Louisiana brand hot sauce or other plain, set-your-mouth ablaze sauce. Baked beans were good, not too sweet and Karen said the slaw was excellent; it had a light mayo touch with a good vinager twang. The food is served on a plastic tray with waxed paper and all forks/spoons/knives are plastic as well.  With tea the bill was $33+; I thought that was a bit pricey for a franchise place, but it was much better than most and I thought that balanced out the bill.

Thanks for the good tips! Looks as if I could be hitting Huntsvill about once a week for awhile and have some nice spots to visit.

GreggO
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35:53 EST »

We ate at Shane's. I showed Karen the suggestions here and it was no surprise to me when she said she wanted ribs. We both had a half rack of babybacks. Karen had slaw and fries as her two sides and I chose baked beans and fries. The ribs were really good; they were pre-sauced and carmelized over the grill. No extra sauce was needed, but we did try all four they had on the table (our #1 was the spicy and #2 carolina, #3 regular and #4 honey). Their hot sauce was a cayenne base with a sweetness to it; interesting and a nice change, but no match for Louisiana brand hot sauce or other plain, set-your-mouth ablaze sauce. Baked beans were good, not too sweet and Karen said the slaw was excellent; it had a light mayo touch with a good vinager twang. The food is served on a plastic tray with waxed paper and all forks/spoons/knives are plastic as well.  With tea the bill was $33+; I thought that was a bit pricey for a franchise place, but it was much better than most and I thought that balanced out the bill.

Thanks for the good tips! Looks as if I could be hitting Huntsvill about once a week for awhile and have some nice spots to visit.

GreggO

Glad you enjoyed Shane's.  I think all of their food is excellent.  Let us know if you need more info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: