VTTW Board Index
June 26, 2024, 08:33:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rumor doesn't seem to be going away  (Read 8523 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:19:12 EST »

...that this could be it for Peyton, that he'll retire after the Super Bowl.  I can see why he'd want out, he now has children and I'm sure he wants to spend more time with them.  But selfishly, I'd like to see him hang around for a couple more years to break Favre's records, and maybe even win another ring or two.  He just had the best season any QB has ever had, so clearly there's still plenty left in the tank. 

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:10 EST »

I feel sure he will retire if he wins it. There was an article last week about how he would be having a examination of his neck at the end of the season to see if it was OK to play some more.

But he might feel that he should get out why he's still reasonably healthy.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:06:06 EST »

I feel sure he will retire if he wins it. There was an article last week about how he would be having a examination of his neck at the end of the season to see if it was OK to play some more.

But he might feel that he should get out why he's still reasonably healthy.

I just looked up the career records.  Peyton is 19 wins, 17 TDs, and slightly less than 7000 yards behind Favre.  He could easily break the TD record next season, and the other two the year after that. 

However, hot on their heels is Drew Brees.  He's about 3 years younger than Peyton, and given his average season, about 3 years behind him numbers-wise.  So even if Peyton gets all the records, they could be threatened again after a few years.  I didn't realize that Brees was up that high.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_td_career.htm

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:53 EST »

I hope he wins and walks away.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:35:38 EST »

I would like to see him break Favre's records, just because. But since his critics aren't gonna concede anything even if he broke God's records, I'd like to see him win this one and call it a wrap. It'll be a sad day when he does. But I don't want to see him hang around too long...and, let's face it, at his age and condition, every new season there's a risk of beginning the slide.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:23:42 EST »

Selfishly, I want him to keep going but I know time waits for no man.  Even though it won't be a surprise whenever he hangs it up, personally I'll be heartbroken. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:33:12 EST »

I'm hoping that Peyton wins it and he walks away.  He's got nothing more to prove. 

I see a lot of UT fans who are just convinced that Peyton is going to coach at UT after he retires.  I just don't see him as a college coach playing the recruiting game with 16 and 17 year old narcissistic personalities and egotistical parents.  If he coaches it will be in the NFL, in my opinion.

But I really don't even see him in coaching at all.  I see Peyton either in media work or a front office capacity, like John Elway opted to do, and I really see Peyton as an NFL owner one day. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:01:04 EST »

I'm hoping that Peyton wins it and he walks away.  He's got nothing more to prove. 

I see a lot of UT fans who are just convinced that Peyton is going to coach at UT after he retires.  I just don't see him as a college coach playing the recruiting game with 16 and 17 year old narcissistic personalities and egotistical parents.  If he coaches it will be in the NFL, in my opinion.

But I really don't even see him in coaching at all.  I see Peyton either in media work or a front office capacity, like John Elway opted to do, and I really see Peyton as an NFL owner one day. 

Totally agree.  The thought that he'll coach UT someday is a ridiculous pipe dream, imo.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:42:23 EST »

Although former players often go into coaching, rarely do you see former superstar QBs go that route.  Peyton is a multi-millionaire with twin baby boys- he doesn't need that hassle.

However, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go into politics at some point.  He could easily be elected to office in at least four different states right now.

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 11:53:14 EST »

Ex-players generally go into coaching because they need the money. If I were Manning I wouldn't consider it in a million years. But Manning isn't ordinary. There's probably never been a player with his competitive drive. Can he stand to just sit around for the rest of his life and not be calling some shots on the football field? I'm not so sure he can.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:57 EST »

Sports networks will be knocking his door down when he calls it quits...
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:20:47 EST »

Although former players often go into coaching, rarely do you see former superstar QBs go that route.  Peyton is a multi-millionaire with twin baby boys- he doesn't need that hassle.

However, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go into politics at some point.  He could easily be elected to office in at least four different states right now.

He has twins...but one of them is a girl 
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:52 EST »

Totally agree.  The thought that he'll coach UT someday is a ridiculous pipe dream, imo.
I've thought that Peyton coaching college is a possibility and would love to see him coach at UT, but I have no idea how much of a possibility that is.  Who knows what is on his mind.  I think that he will want to coach because he strikes me as a guy who will not be able to stand being away from the game in an active role.  I think that if he does want to coach that it will be in the NFL, but I also think he could want to coach college as he might prefer to work with kids rather than adults so to speak.  The truth is that none of us have a clue as to what is on his mind, but I think calling the thought of him coaching college ridiculous is, well - ridiculous.

By the way, this is all with a friendly tone.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 09:16:07 EST »

I wonder if Butch would bring him on as a grad assistant...
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:45 EST »

I wonder if Butch would bring him on as a grad assistant...

Go Army - Beat Navy!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 02:11:47 EST »

???? Could Peyton hook-up with Coach Cut???

G
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:00 EST »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10356121/super-bowl-xlviii-peyton-manning-wants-continue-playing-next-season

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 06:16:24 EST »

Anyone who has watched Peyton over the years knows that they will have to drag him off the field.  Think about all the times he stayed in during routs his senior year (leading in one case to a Donnan blowup, lol).  Think about him playing hurt against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl (and honestly hurting our chances).  Think about how much the stats and records obviously matter to him.

No, he will retire either from a nonrecoverable injury or when he gets to the point he will taint his legacy if he keeps playing.   I would say he has about 3-4 more years before that happens.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:22 EST »

No, he will retire either from a nonrecoverable injury or when he gets to the point he will taint his legacy if he keeps playing.   I would say he has about 3-4 more years before that happens.

I tend to agree.  The guy just threw for more yards and TD's in a season than anyone in the history of the NFL.  He's hardly limping along.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: