VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 12:40:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article: CCM all but gone......It's all our fault!!  (Read 3997 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2014, 02:45:58 EDT »

JP

http://mrsec.com/2014/03/florida-kentucky-tennessee-hoops-things-change-stay/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:35:54 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:05 EDT »

If CCM is gone, it will be by his own choice and not because of the fans.  He is a big man and will not run because his feelings are hurt. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:33:01 EDT »

I don't find what he says about Hart being "not willing to cough up big cash for a man they were ready to fire" credible.

Hart may well have fired Cuonzo if we didn't make the tourney, but that is not known with any certainty.  But that's not the part I am talking about.  Just from the way Hart hugged Cuonzo after the Iowa win, I am pretty sure he is willing to give Martin more money and an extension now.  Yeah, I know, it's just one isolated incident, but I think the fact that he did that says he was in Cuonzo's corner all along and wanted him to succeed.   Hart strikes me as the careful calculating time that is not prone to making rash decisions...and clearly a coach in place succeeding is ALWAYS going to make an ADs job easier.

As for the rest of it, JP doesn't really state directly that "Cuonzo is leaving because of Tennesee fans". 

He does point out the petition and expression of disinterest by many fans factor into Martin's decision.   All of which is fair, because it's true.

JP IS a pr@ck who seems to hate UT...I will grant you that.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:30 EDT »

JP IS a pr@ck who seems to hate UT...I will grant you that.   

Bandit, I have to TOTALLY disagree with you on this point! I lived in Knoxville for 20 years and have listened to JP for a long time. I really find him to have tremendous insight and I think he can match wits with anyone intellectually.

We'll see what happens. I just spoke because I don't think you are being fair-minded about John and that's out-of-sorts for you. Not diggin' at you, but I have to disagree here. Hope you take it as just a disgruntled................. fill in the blank.

GreggO
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:27 EDT »

If CCM is gone, it will be by his own choice and not because of the fans.  He is a big man and will not run because his feelings are hurt.  

Exactly...in fact, my bet is he would want to stay to prove us fans wrong!  He knows if he start winning consistently, the fans will be behind him -- this team didn't do that until the very end and barely went dancing.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:45:35 EDT »

Pennington FLUBS it again........

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:49 EDT »

CBS Sports is reporting CCM is staying...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24509744/tennessees-cuonzo-martin-removes-name-from-marquette-consideration

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:08:12 EDT »

The fact that Marquette entered talks with Wojo early yesterday afternoon and Cuonzo didn't withdraw from consideration until late last night tells me that Cuonzo wasn't their first choice. Or, maybe he was and it's as simple as the fact that they couldn't agree on terms. But the timing of everything makes it appear that Marquette talked with Cuonzo, then talked with Wojo, and chose Wojo.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:16 EDT »

Bandit, I have to TOTALLY disagree with you on this point! I lived in Knoxville for 20 years and have listened to JP for a long time. I really find him to have tremendous insight and I think he can match wits with anyone intellectually.

We'll see what happens. I just spoke because I don't think you are being fair-minded about John and that's out-of-sorts for you. Not diggin' at you, but I have to disagree here. Hope you take it as just a disgruntled................. fill in the blank.

GreggO

I'm really just repeating what others have said of him.  I have seen him be cranky a couple times, and he does seem to take shots at the University, but I have probably only read 4 articles of his.  So I am just saying what I hear others say...he seems to be disliked.

A better way to say it would have been "he MAY BE a &$^^$".  You are right to call me on this, because I am really just repeating what I thought was a majority opinion.  Believe it or not, I am glad to see a dissenting opinion on this, because if he's just a guy that "tells it like it is" and gets disliked as a result, then maybe he's not so bad.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:37 EDT »

As for the Marquette job...I saw a tweet last night with the following information:

Marquette is purely a basketball school, thus all their revenue is from the men's basketball team (ie...less $$$)

Marquette shares facilities with the NBA Bucks (ie...worse facilities)

Marquette plays in the Big East, which is a shadow of it's former self (ie...less visibility and exposure, softer schedule)

I would credit the tweet, but I don't remember who it was...maybe Patrick Brown.  Words in parens are my interpretation.

Buzz Williams just left VOLUNTARILY for Virginia Tech (though he might have been about to be fired, I don't know).  Is VTI a step up from Marquette?

Additionally the Marquette AD is rumored to be a "circus" behind the scenes, one that might make even our situation look good by contrast.   

Bottom line...Marquette isn't that great of a destination.  Thus I can believe that Cuonzo just said "no thanks", especially if Hart told him he would get an extension or raise.

Who knows...but my guess is Martin just didn't want to go from the frying pan into the fire.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: