VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 11:54:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin withdraws from Marquette job  (Read 6555 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:22 EDT »

I just happened to check Twitter and it hit about 3 minutes ago

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:29 EDT »

This ner fengled terchnolergy is perty gud   

Doesn't mean he won't go somewhere else, but I expect a nice raise and an extension.

I thought he had only one year left, but apparently it's two...maybe a two year extension?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:01:57 EDT »

Hmmmm................. One might think Hart stood up.

I have no idea why, but I get a gut feeling that it's just not about the $$$ with CCM. I'm probably wrong because he's at a point where he can be secure for his family, I just have a gut feeling on this that he want's to................ never mind.

G
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:54:43 EDT »

I have no idea why, but I get a gut feeling that it's just not about the $$$ with CCM. I'm probably wrong because he's at a point where he can be secure for his family, I just have a gut feeling on this that he want's to................ never mind.

G
By all accounts I've seen his family is very happy here.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:30:48 EDT »

And maybe he wants to hang around to prove to the nay-sayers (me being one) that he is worthy of the job and will take the Vols to the top of college BB.    Glad they did good at the end of the year, now would like to see them do good all year so they don't have to scratch and claw their way into the NCAA!    A couple of SEC Championships would be nice too. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:41 EDT »

G

Someone tweeted or blogged that yesterday...that he doesn't seem to be about money.  Don't recall who though.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:10:34 EDT »

It's sounding to me like Wojo was their man instead of Cuonzo, and this wasn't Cuonzo "backing out." And if that's the case, he has very little bargaining power for an extension and raise at UT. He may have screwed himself pretty badly.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:42 EDT »

It's sounding to me like Wojo was their man instead of Cuonzo, and this wasn't Cuonzo "backing out." And if that's the case, he has very little bargaining power for an extension and raise at UT. He may have screwed himself pretty badly.

Just putting myself in Martin's shoes and looking at the situation at Marquette (much less money, much worse facilities, lower visibility conference) I would have backed out also.  He already has a relatively high profile job at a major with (in spite of recent difficulties ) far more $$ than Marquette) and superior facilities.  But of course that's just speculation.

But to speculate further, I can see a situation like Marquette being more appealing to an assistant than someone who already has a pretty good HC situation like Martin.

I agree that he could have played it closer to the vest for leverage.  But it's possible that Hart has already offered more, it's possible his name could come up elsewhere, and it's possible that he really doesn't care that much about a raise.  Cancer survivors can be funny that way...

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:23:46 EDT »

Just putting myself in Martin's shoes and looking at the situation at Marquette (much less money, much worse facilities, lower visibility conference) I would have backed out also.  He already has a relatively high profile job at a major with (in spite of recent difficulties ) far more $$ than Marquette) and superior facilities.  But of course that's just speculation.

But to speculate further, I can see a situation like Marquette being more appealing to an assistant than someone who already has a pretty good HC situation like Martin.

I agree that he could have played it closer to the vest for leverage.  But it's possible that Hart has already offered more, it's possible his name could come up elsewhere, and it's possible that he really doesn't care that much about a raise.  Cancer survivors can be funny that way...

Marquette would have been more money, not less, and not just for Cuonzo's salary-- their basketball budget is larger than ours, and their facilities are good. Combine that with its location in the midwest and this is a job that Cuonzo should have wanted and probably did want.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 07:37:10 EDT »

My thoughts exactly, as I posted on another thread... Cuonzo may be between a rock and a hard place right now.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:12:07 EDT »

Marquette would have been more money, not less, and not just for Cuonzo's salary-- their basketball budget is larger than ours, and their facilities are good. Combine that with its location in the midwest and this is a job that Cuonzo should have wanted and probably did want.

How is sharing an arena with an nba team bettet than thompson boling?  And in spite of his otherwise incompetant tenure Hamilton did build nice facilities.  I habe no idea what Marquettes practice facility is like but I am confident its not better than ours.

In speaking of money I am talking about overall AD budget.  UT runs around 100 M.  I cant say what Marquette has but I am positive its far less than that.  In other words just more total resources.

As for the money he is.paid I addressed that.  I have read tha money diesnt drive him...ill try to find the source.

Also since Marquette is private they are not required to publish their AD and bball budget but maybe they do so volutarily. 

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 08:26:27 EDT »

How is sharing an arena with an nba team bettet than thompson boling?  And in spite of his otherwise incompetant tenure Hamilton did build nice facilities.  I habe no idea what Marquettes practice facility is like but I am confident its not better than ours.

In speaking of money I am talking about overall AD budget.  UT runs around 100 M.  I cant say what Marquette has but I am positive its far less than that.  In other words just more total resources.

As for the money he is.paid I addressed that.  I have read tha money diesnt drive him...ill try to find the source.

Also since Marquette is private they are not required to publish their AD and bball budget but maybe they do so volutarily. 

Facilities are more than just the arena, and I think playing in an NBA arena is probably a draw for recruits. The arena situation is at worst neutral, and may work in their favor.

According to SI, Marquette spent $10.7M on basketball last year. The most recent figure for UT I found is $4.9M. Marquette spends double what UT does on basketball, and I think that's much more relevant than the overall AD budget.

Now, the Big East breakup and the manner of Buzz Williams's departure could suggest Marquette is not the job it was a few years ago . . . but it's a better job for a guy like Cuonzo Martin than UT is.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:58:08 EDT »

FWIW, see this link:

http://www.bbstate.com/info/teams-hoopsbudget

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:19 EDT »

How weird is all of this?

UT fans start a petition to hire another coach when the present one hasn't been fired.  And in fact, the coach could have been on the verge of being fired if UT didn't make the tournament.

UT barely makes the tournament but has amazingly has a good run. Then the coach decides that he will try to get a job at another school. Obviously he either doesn't want to be at UT or he figures that he should get out while the getting is good. Or both.

He doesn't get offered the job thereby diminishing his negotiating strength with UT. Armed with that diminished negotiating strength he is apparently convincing UT to give him a raise and an extension of contract. And if the team flops next year, UT will be stuck with a longer contract and a bigger buyout if they want to fire him.

Do things like this happen anywhere but at The University of Tennessee?

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 01:05:45 EDT »

How weird is all of this?

UT fans start a petition to hire another coach when the present one hasn't been fired.  And in fact, the coach could have been on the verge of being fired if UT didn't make the tournament.

UT barely makes the tournament but has amazingly has a good run. Then the coach decides that he will try to get a job at another school. Obviously he either doesn't want to be at UT or he figures that he should get out while the getting is good. Or both.

He doesn't get offered the job thereby diminishing his negotiating strength with UT. Armed with that diminished negotiating strength he is apparently convincing UT to give him a raise and an extension of contract. And if the team flops next year, UT will be stuck with a longer contract and a bigger buyout if they want to fire him.

Do things like this happen anywhere but at The University of Tennessee?

Kind of a general reply, but quoting you... A thought I had toward the end of the season is Martin might be getting a little coaching himself on game/coaching box demeanor.  He was more animated at times. And so, I wonder if the university kind of played along with him here, perhaps by design... the program needs stability, and to show some support for the coach. This furthers their agenda, too. It is a more attractive program to potential coaches in the future. I found Hart's statement today particularly interesting. He took some shots (implied) at the former coach. A little mild conspiracy theorizing
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:13 EDT »

Then the coach decides that he will try to get a job at another school. Obviously he either doesn't want to be at UT or he figures that he should get out while the getting is good. Or both.

The original reporting on Martin interviewing at Marquette said that they approached him, not the other way around.  Maybe they turned him down, maybe he rejected them, who knows...I think it's more likely he didn't like what he saw and that Hart was telling him good things.

As for leverage, he has less now sure.  But I am not sure a long contract extension and/or raise are justified anyway.

Overall, the situation may just work out for the best...a relatively small contract extension and modest raise seem about right to me.

Maybe Stokes stays, maybe we get Rhett (whoever that is, lol, but lots of tweets about him) and Hubbs will be healthy so maybe next year won't be a total disaster either.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 07:02:02 EDT »

Didn't I read a tweet from Stokes that he is going to enter the draft?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 08:07:19 EDT »

Didn't I read a tweet from Stokes that he is going to enter the draft?

I don't know, did you?   

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:19 EDT »

I checked his feed and didn't see it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: