VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 07:52:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May be Germans, but....  (Read 1752 times)
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:07:56 EDT »

I'm curious about this Northwestern Unionization spearhead issue. Here's the question I ask of you: If this goes through will it affect how you look at college football and college sports in general and if so, how?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:44:08 EDT »

I think it's stupid and college athletes who participate in high profile sports (football, basketball) have become spoiled, entitled brats in general.  Sure not all of them, but for these guys to say the deal their getting isn't good enough is hogwash.  The should count their blessings. 

If it's just about health coverage, fine.  I think schools should cover the costs of a sports related injury.  But in no way do I think they should be paid.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:14:54 EDT »

I'm curious about this Northwestern Unionization spearhead issue. Here's the question I ask of you: If this goes through will it affect how you look at college football and college sports in general and if so, how?

Here is the thing...all of this is being spearheaded by a group that is backed by the Teamsters Union.  Yes the very same bunch that has at its core the Jimmy "Where is He Really Been Chopped up into little pieces and thrown into the concrete" Hoffa.  This in effect is a pretty stupid move on the part of the athletes listening to some hotheads that don't really have a clue except someone has filled them with ideas that are ludicrous.  First of all if they succeed in establishing a UNION then their Scholarships are automatically considered restitution for services rendered and the IRS takes a very dim view of you not restituting to them a portion of your restitution for services rendered to Uncle Sugar as your fair share in the IRS pot.  So therefore the players will owe a percentage of their scholarship monies as guess what -- yes Federal Income Taxes.  Secondly they will be required to pony up SSI and Medicaid taxes as well as Northwestern having to put aside about 8% as their share of SSI and Medicaid.  Or are they considered 1099 Contractors.  From the rules of the NCAA and transfer implications they are not 1099 contractors they are employees IE they have to pay as well as Northwestern.  Now with all that said does the avergae scholarship freshman...(not even thinking of Seniors) have the money to pay an additional bunch of dollars as a TAX bill?  Northwestern is not going to want to pay taxes for Unionized players.....oh what slippery slope this ruling is going to cause.  

Secondly if the players are unionizing do the colleges get ot employ strike breakers as replacements in the even of a strike and therefore the NCAA decalres them ineligible for play since they are NOT in school....oops sounds like the players need to firmly discuss the implications rather than listening to some overpaid idiot from the Teamsters Union telling them it is a good thing...as well as the former QB that is obviously being well paid to convince his former teamates to pursue this.  

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: