VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 11:17:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who think todays kids are evil, I differ....  (Read 2600 times)
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:06:03 EDT »

Nearly 25yrs ago in Charleston, SC I was more interested in making money than spending money so I took a part-time job as a limo driver.  had a blast! I did the Ryder Cup, TV personalities and much more important folk. It was a firn that was a franchisee of Carey Limos, a world-wide company. Months before the holidays, I hooked-up with the local Carey firm in Chattanooga thinking I might get a few hundred bucks extra a month for a bit. It can be boring as he** and it can be just as fun.

As extended work, I've done 3 proms this month (they were too snooty for that Charleston). These kids are great! My kids haven't been teens for a range of 13-17yrs. I've driven for Baylor (no tippers), Marion County (better than you'd think) and tonight Signal Mtn. (the winners x4+$1). I have so enjoyed myself being around teens again. And parents gave me phone#'s to call if the kids got out-of-line. Not a problem at all! (Not in my day at Red Bank class of '74!!!!!). These kids have been great! My youngest's class of '00 felt a need to serve their country after 9/11. The spirit lives, I think....... they still want to make a mark.

We hear on the news about the snakes on the streets, but so may of these everyday kids are good kids! I have firmly believed that since my own son went on the serve in DC. However, watching the news sometimes got me down about America's youth.

We all hear about the crappy kids; I think there are way too many more who still out-number them!

Now that I've been up 23hrs, time to go horizontal. (It takes me time to wind-down).

GreggO

(Might keep dowing this for a bit; I do like earning extra $$$).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:11:31 EDT by GreggO » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:46:51 EDT »

Good post!! 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:27:30 EDT »

You are absolutely correct Gregg -- my daughter, who is an asst. principal in a HS says the same thing....yes, she has her troubled children who cause a lot of issues, but the vast majority of high school kids are good kids who just want to grow up and be successful, law abiding citizens.     

And my 2 16 year old grandkids are further proof....they are already carving their path in life -- one is in JR ROTC in high school, on the drill team and commanding 2 of the drill team competitions -- as a Soph!   The other is a very good softball player who spends her free time trying to become a better athlete, and studying her advance placement courses in HS -- also, as a Soph.  Both wonderful children with lofty goals in their futures! 

I am proud of our youth today - at least from my viewpoint, we are going to be ok with future leadership! 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 05:41:28 EDT »

Today's kids aren't evil. It still depends how they are raised, just like they have always been

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:10 EDT »

The kids today are no more good or evil than the so-called adults.  In my 63 years on this earth, it has been my observation that the majority of people are good and some are bad with a smaller segment evil.  It has also been my observation is that the people that only see bad and evil in others rarely if ever see good in others. It is just so easy to label "The Others" as all being bad than it is to actually interact with people and judge them individually.  It is just less bother and mental energy.

It is just so much easy to label all the younger generation bad, lazy, no good, etc...well you get the picture. That fits their view of the world as "going to hell in a hand basket".

My son was no angel, but he was a good kid.  He was a sweet, kind, considerate young man that would have grown into a fine man. In a couple of weeks, it will be 10 years since that knock on my door letting me know he had died in an accident.

So yes I understand what you mean GreggO.  Just because a young one is not a carbon copy, mindless adult does not make them a thug or evil.  No more evil than the adults in this world doing bad in the name of whatever cause they deem righteous. 
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:31:18 EDT »

I teach school. Where I teach we get "The Others" Yea, you know, the ones that stay in trouble, that are constant classroom deterents, disrepectful in word and deed, lay out of school, won't work and fight all the time. In short, I (we) get what most people, and even other teachers, call the turds. The sad thing is no matter what we do to try to help these kids THEY make the decisions they make. A great deal of the kids where I teach come very disfunctional homes, and as such they use it as an excuse for their behavior. While it may contribute to some of their activity in the end it is their choice as to how they behave. Sadly, the majority of these kids come from lower income brackets, very, very rarely do any of the upper class kids get sent here.    
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:32:33 EDT by Screaming Eagle Dad » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:28 EDT »

And yet a lot of people think poverty doesn't matter. Income disparity is of no consequence. That being said, I know some well-off kids who are turds as well. Good and evil comes in all income levels.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: