VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 10:06:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does American Legion baseball have a big following in Tennessee and in the  (Read 5939 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:18 EDT »

south in general? Rapid City has a great American Legion baseball program.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:26:38 EDT »

No, not any longer.  Tennessee has become primarily a "travel" baseball or recreation league dominate area that plays under several different organizational banners. 

I played American Legion baseball back in the early/mid 70s, and we were one of a very few Legion teams in the state.  We traveled just about every weekend to play because we couldn't play in local leagues because we weren't AABC affiliated.  In fact, we were one of the first "travel" teams in the Knoxville area. 

I loved playing American Legion baseball.  The local post took really good care of us and we had some really good teams, and in fact we made it to the ALWS a couple of times, once in 17 and under and once in 19 and under.  Some really good times in my life.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:19 EDT »

Look at Rapid City Post 22 website. They have a great stadium and great program. Rapid City has one of the biggest American Legion tournaments in the country every 4th of July weekend.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:36:38 EDT »

And Legion ball has died in the rest of the south, as it has in Tennessee, also.  Travel ball organizations and instructional schools/academies have taken over. 

American Legion as an organization has lost much of its membership, and thus chapters have closed, with the dying out of Americas Greatest Generation.  WWI and WWII veterans made up a majority of the southern membership and those guys are all but gone, now.  There are still a few VFWs left in the south, but American Legions are pretty much gone. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:47 EDT »

What Herb said...

I played some AL ball in the early 70's and then many years ago I umpired in the league. Travel ball has taken over this area too.

Here in Jackson we have a multi-field sportsplex that from Spring till fall will have 40-60 teams come to town from all over and play all weekend
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:55:49 EDT »

What Herb said...

I played some AL ball in the early 70's and then many years ago I umpired in the league. Travel ball has taken over this area too.

Here in Jackson we have a multi-field sportsplex that from Spring till fall will have 40-60 teams come to town from all over and play all weekend

Yep.  And the reality is that about 2/3 of those kids really don't need to be playing "travel" baseball.  Their skill level just isn't there.  Most of them still should be playing recreation baseball and just having fun with it instead of working at it. But most parents can't understand that their son just doesn't have the ability to be the next major league superstar.  Daddy ball isn't helping their sons, and in fact, it's burning them out at a very early age more times than not. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 08:57:14 EDT »

Yep.  And the reality is that about 2/3 of those kids really don't need to be playing "travel" baseball.  Their skill level just isn't there.  Most of them still should be playing recreation baseball and just having fun with it instead of working at it. But most parents can't understand that their son just doesn't have the ability to be the next major league superstar.  Daddy ball isn't helping their sons, and in fact, it's burning them out at a very early age more times than not. 

Yep....have one of those families that lives across the street from me. Both their kids play travel ball from March till early November. They play the Summer league till the end of August, take Sept. off and start the Fall league in early Oct.

I hardly see them for months because they are never home.....Good people, but I don't see where they have the money to afford to be gone 20-25 weekends a year.... That crap isn't cheap.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:30:27 EDT »

Hear! Hear! I'm convinced travel ball has killed the sport.  Fewer play, and those who do burnout. And yeah, I have no idea how many afford it. More power to those who participate but it's not for me.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: